Sticky, again | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Sticky, again

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F612, Jun 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #26 paulchua, Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Haha love this post Paul.

Here's something I think that makes the situation different though. I hear ya about the natural degradation of things and how 'they don't care, that's obvious after what, 20+ years of sticky?

The strange thing to me though is it takes extra time, money, and effort to apply the coating to the buttons. I know first hand because I've painstakingly removed the coating. Is the bare plastic as nice as the satin finish? No. But orders of magnitude preferable to a melting candy bar.

Given we all know that in a relatively short time that satin fish will melt (not might, but will) - I think we all agree that the flat plastic is preferable.

We're not asking for Ferrari to do 'more' or 'change' in the way a new feature is requested. On the contrary, we're just actually asking them to do 'less' and stop/skip that 'coating phase', take a long smoke break, go for a cappuccino.

So if you will NOT use a coating that has longevity. Skip it. I know I would have been grateful if they 'skipped' my cars.

That is the epitome being cool and not caring Tell Fredo (head of button finishing) to take the rest of the year off, in fact - go on permanent vacation. The cost of his retirement would pale in comparison to the thousands of dollars that 20 years of Ferrari owners have been paying for re-finishing plastic.

That's not an exaggeration either if you ever saw how much it costs.

PVEferrari and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have had stickies on all my Ferraris and never on any other car. However I have had the Ferrari sticky experience on another item. I bought four £3 torch lights, the kind with hooks that hang, three years ago for my garage. They have all turned sticky with exactly the same texture as a sticky Ferrari switch. They are the cheapest crap you can buy from a DIY store, same quality as our several hundred thousand dollar/pound/euro cars. Nice!

Obviously for anyone who knows Italy the switch supplier is the cousin of the uncle of the father of the guy who does the procurement for switches, whose daughter is married to the supplier’s nephew. And they share the same, um, inspriratonal guru. I would have thought that’s obvious.

paulchua likes this.
  3. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Ive not had it on other cars, but have had it on other household items...tv remotes, barbell plates etc.
    It’s a faulty product. When you think of what little usage a Ferrari switches see, compared to a tv remote, it’s ridiculously fragile and obviously susceptible to prematurely aging.
    After stripping it off, I sprayed most of the parts with satin paint. Looks just as good albeit, without the “soft touch” that becomes “slimy tar touch”.

paulchua and Themaven like this.
  4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I see what you mean but I think Ferrari hates plastics and tries to minimize their use. Also in order to have the lighting come through there has to be some kind of coating. It's just that the one they use... Well they just want you to buy a new car if it's a problem for you. :D

paulchua likes this.
  5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    You'd think after 25 years they'd find a better product.

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Enzo Ferrari once said:

"I don't sell cars; I sell engines. The cars I throw in for free since something has to hold the engines in"

What do you people expect for free? :confused:

;)

7. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    360 Canuck , you said you stripped and refinished yours yourself. I would like to try that with a couple of sticky ones to see how that goes. Could you expand a little on how you did this and the materials you used?
    I think I would like to try this at home despite the admonition not to from Sticky No More.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Just bought an F430 from Scottsdale Ferarri - when I test drove the car all the inside was a sticky mess - almost put me off buying the car. When I asked about it he said, they’ll remedy it. They certainly did and the interior is all like new. I was surprised they’d even let customers see such disgraceful workmanship on a six figure vehicle.....of any age. After the refurb how long will this last? Any ideas!? (Arizona heat) thanks all, good thread.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    Seems like your Scottsdale guys did the sticky repairs themselves as did the other dealer. Maybe someone has come up with a short cut versus pulling everything out of the car and shipping it off for weeks. I have a couple of kinda sticky switches in the OTO I would kind of like to take care of early and am looking for tips.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app