812 Spider | Page 9 | FerrariChat

812 Spider

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by MalibuGuy, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Only thing Ive heard from my dealer is that 812 owners will get first allocations. It was also mentioned that it is not a limited edition although perhaps limited by production time. I would be very surprised if ownership of 5 Ferrari's is a requirement. If that is the case then Ferrari changed their minds and will make it a limited edition.

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    All these "requirements" for buying a car may be Ferrari wishes but in the end supply vs demand makes the rules.

PA Wolfpacker and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I got a speciale and 488s to get a Pista, which I don’t want but have asked for the 812 spyder years ago. The game has changed since then I believe and I won’t likely get access to the 812s until the aftermarket. We shall see.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    No, not really.

5. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Of course it is debatable, since there isn't one yet, by definition and Ferrari have not announced any concrete plans for one!

Besides, any new V12 engine will need to be a long term investment for Ferrari given costs. For example, the current platform goes back many years to the Enzo. It will depend on whether it is commercially and regulatory-wise viable for them to develop a new V12. So, let's debate away.

JTSE30 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Very good point, in terms of return on investment, any new V12 development must be very carefully considered...

https://www.zero2turbo.com/2019/03/no-hybrid-v12-in-ferraris-future-plans.html

refers to a Road & Track interview from March 2019:

The publication asked Leiters if Ferrari has future plans for another hybrid V12

“It’s very important to differentiate which car I want [a hybrid system] in,” Leiters said. “If we’re doing a V12, I’m not thinking about hybridization. It’s a contradiction. Maybe we would get a little reduction in consumption with a hybrid, but it doesn’t make sense. To get the full potential of a hybrid, we need to downsize the engine. With a V12, naturally aspirated car, we don’t have that downsizing.”

We will fight for the V12, to maintain it like this today, because it is core Ferrari,” he said. This gives us some hope that the mighty naturally aspirated V12 is here to stay for now.

My question is "who is Leiters fighting"? If the EU (and by association the rest of the world's emissions governance), they will win. If Ferrari management, Leiters could win. Otherwise who is he fighting?

The presumption is the car that directly replaces the 812 will be hybrid. The SF90 is now the 'flagship' so where does a V12 fit into that future?

Could it be the Purosangue? Presumably it will be front engine and it will high enough off the ground to have room for front electric motors and maybe a 7L V12-hybrid....or maybe an Icona, but not regular production. Of course the 6000 pound RR Cullinan uses a 6.8L V12 twin turbo so that has to be going through Ferrari's mind...

Otherwise, I wonder where the V12 will land in a future Ferrari model.

Caeruleus11 and klinkman like this.
  7. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My dealer states they can't take a deposit when the car (812 Spider) doesn't exist yet. How does your dealer manage that? And did he provide an acknowledgement?

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My guess is the V12 car will remain as a front engine car but a bit freed up from the mission of having mid engine handling - so a bit more GT in its orientation - this is my guess for 812 successor- I think it will still be hard edged as compared to the competition. And I would imagine prices increasing substantially, thus making this a harder to get car- my guess is it will resemble getting a Pista.

If I am a manufacturer looking at product mix, and one of the products is the least efficient, then I will find a way to make the V12 the smallest part of the mix. I would love to see the Purosangue with a V12, but my guess- again if I am thinking like an automaker- V6 turbo hybrid maybe with their new RAC-E system for the front traction. They have no history of making such a vehicle, so its a clean slate, they might as well go with the best thing from an emissions and regulatory compliance stand point.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This. And I highly doubt a single F8 order will get anyone a 812 Spider anywhere.

10. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    This is not true with my dealer. Deposit Signed and placed.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Awesome. Can you post a copy of the acknowledgement (private info obscured of course) so I can inquire with my dealer why he refuses to do that?

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I just hope they bring back the Barchetta name. Seems like they stepped away from the Aperta name again. But they kinda wore it a bit thin with the 599, 458 and LaFA :D
    To me, Spider is just more fitting for something lighter, smaller and mid engined :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My dealer hasn’t acknowledged the existence of the F8 yet.

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What?

15. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Your dealer might hate you lol

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

cridom60 and of2worlds like this.
  16. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Ahahahahahaahahahahah

Thanks guys for the sunday laugh!

ed m., of2worlds and j09333 like this.
  17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    And/or surely shows the importance.

j09333 likes this.
  18. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I am chatting with our dealer next week but I seriously doubt we can put one down yet...I think there is a game played at some other dealers and fortunately for us, FSV doesn’t play it.

19. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for weighing in. Yes concur. Theses guys may "hold your money for you" ;) but they aren't working with the factory to secure a build for a car that hasn't been announced yet and by "most reliable" rumors appears 2-3 months from launch.

What FSV is willing to share is they know something is coming; any details beyond that is: wait for launch. Pls let us know if you learn anything different.

RamsHmb, dustman and of2worlds like this.
  20. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The agreement is with the dealer only. Some dealers do this and some do not. Because the criteria for purchasing hasn't been released by Ferrari, the dealer is sticking his neck out in the hopes the customer will receive a car. If the customer is a Top Customer then it should not be a problem. But I know for a fact that the dealer has not received allocations. Officially the car does not exist yet and there is no way to enter in an order into the MODIS system period. So of course there is no way to officially make an order irregardless of what agreements have been made with the dealer.

klinkman likes this.
  21. Sushistar

Sushistar Karting

Jan 20, 2018
    Berlin
    In my country, in Germany, you have to order asap. Last week told me my dealer, he have a waiting list from 40 buyers for the new F8 Tributo Spider. So delivery time in round about 3 years. And the car don't exist at the time. When the people got the 488 spider, they ordered for the next spider :-(

I ordered also a 812 Spider. I am the 5th on the list. I agree with you. No dealer has received any allocations or rules. No way to officially make an order. But if you wait to long, you get the car in 3,5 years. (if you get one) Because all in front of the list get the car before.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Hong Kong is also a very tough market to purchase a new Ferrari. Big customers have 200,000 in money for deposit held by the dealer for new Ferrari models before they are even announced officially by Ferrari.

Il Co-Pilota and Sushistar like this.
  23. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    Been Told September the 2nd, mark your calendars :)

JagShergill likes this.
  24. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    After monza. This is what I been told.
    I back out since it takes a week round trip to Italy doing Monza and launch show.
    No time to take a vacation. All in for new biz.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

of2worlds likes this.
  25. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    HA