FORMULA 1 MYWORLD GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 13 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 MYWORLD GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

There were 203000 fans

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    #303 ricksb, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Two things: 1. Video shows that LeClerc was slightly ahead, so DiResta loses some credibility points. 2. In context, LeClerc was attempting to use this same defense tactic as on the previous lap by conceding the inside line and racing him from the outer line. It appeared- to me- that Max identified that tactic and made his car extra wide to disrupt CL’s momentum. I think he had already done that without pushing him off the circuit. Just that smidgen of mpatient Max reared its head again and made a signature win into a controversial one. I fully expected MV to win, but was disappointed to see him push CL off the circuit. It was totally unnecessary (well, actually that is the slowest corner on the track where RBR has its greatest advantage). Still, he had 5 laps with a faster car to pass cleanly.

ingegnere, Jeronimo GTO and JJ like this.
  4. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Ok then... I guess the F1 journo got it wrong/typo. :oops:

Bas likes this.
  5. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Yes, but the photos show Leclerc slightly ahead so DiResta's premise was invalid. I don't see how anyone can reasonably claim that either Max or Leclerc was clearly ahead.

Regardless, wheel to wheel racing requires each driver to leave the other room. They managed to get that done on the prior lap, IIRC, and Charles did not force Max off the track. It was a great fight and fantastic to watch. I happen to like wheel to wheel racing, and the current rules specify that room must be left. A 5 sec penalty would be warranted here and I suspect we will see one.

FWIW, no penalty would also be an acceptable outcome to me, but after Canada it would definitely be inconsistent.

Just my $0.02.

gsfent, stavura, Jeronimo GTO and 3 others like this.
  6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    It shoud be jusr racing but under the current rules max should be penalized...he pushed chuk out of the tracl because he knew he woild not be able to outccelarate hom in the dirty part outside the track, likehe had done the lap before....of what seb did ( wich was nothinh) deserves a penalty....so does this...10x more

7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Sorry for mistakes..fat fingers on phone

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  8. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Precisely!

This was completely unnecessary on Max's part. 5 laps to go and clearly the faster car. No need whatsoever to unwind the wheel and force Charles off the track.

Jeronimo GTO and ricksb like this.
  9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Don't hold your breath for a reasonable explanation. You might turn blue waiting.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  10. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    ricksb and tifosi12 like this.
  11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Regardless of the decision, I hate races being decided after the flag drops.

Montreal was a major mistake by the FIA and if they decide against Max today, it'd be another travesty.

Hawkeye, Bas and Jack-the-lad like this.
  12. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Can they make their decision already I need to go to sleep :p

13. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Exactly correct.

When cars are "alongside", a car's width needs to be allowed (to the track boundary). No one is "entitled" to anything, according to the rules, when cars are "alongside".

Verstappen's pass violated the rules.

JJ, ricksb and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That's the kind of hairsplitting that ruined VET's race. With all the cameras in play and with ultra slow motion I think it would be possible to find infractions all over the track if anyone wants to look for them. If an incident requires that much scrutiny to judge it, then it probably shouldn't be allowed to affect the result...especially a win...through a penalty. I would have liked to see LEC win, too, and I'd like to see some payback for VET, but another questionable penalty is not the way to do it. It was racing, and damned good racing. It should be left at that.

Nuvolari and 375+ like this.
  15. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    250K is what I heard too. Half of them were Dutch.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  16. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    yep but that's the thing...we're resorting to photos to figure out who was ahead. In the time a photo has been snapped the drivers are already halfway down the next straight, hence the drivers instinct, thus ''let them race'' bit (something that was supposed to happen these days but with Canada etc, still not very true).

Canada is the issue here. They don't penalize, there'll be angry people. They do penalize, there'll be angry people on the other side. Ultimately the fans are the losers, either for Canada or for this race. Some of the fans attending the race are in Germany already at this point, still not knowing who the winner is...That's not right.

In any case, whatever the outcome is, IMO the GPDA and FIA need to come together BEFORE the next race starts and sort this **** out. Of course we need some sort of rules but from my viewpoint, Max's overtake was fine. Quite frankly I can't be bothered looking up the exact rule and asterix who was ultimately right or wrong here. From a racing point of view, it was fine. On the limit, but fine.

JJ and Jack-the-lad like this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    nsxrebel and TexasF355F1 like this.
  19. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    :)

20. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Agreed.

First of all, too many older F1 drivers don't understand the current rules (likely, haven't even read them) ... and even more are lamenting the "good old days" of racing (from decades ago), when a driver would typically lose his life every season.

Verstappen failed to leave room, between himself and the track boundary, for a car "alongside". He pushed-off an alongside car, with contact.

Max's pass violated the rules ... maybe not the rules from decades (or even a few years) ago, but the rules as they stand today.

21. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
  22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    but from another POV, Max looked ahead into the corner...so he can then pick the line. The gap was always going to close (as is his right to pick the line at that point). Kimi didn't get a penalty for doing the same earlier today.

Leclerc could simply park his car on the outside, wait for Verstappen to get to the racing line, be ''forced'' off, and radio the FIA telling them he expects a penalty.

That's the problem with this incredibly complicated rule book.

nsxrebel likes this.
  23. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Let's consider the opposite scenario ...

A driver tries to out-break on the inside. When does the outside driver ... in the lead ... have to give-up the apex? The rules are clear: if the inside car has only a front wing even with the rear tires of the lead car, he is considered "alongside", and the lead car has to allow room for the "alongside" car. YES, the lead car has to give-up the apex to an "alongside" car. In this case, even the LEAD car is not allowed to "pick the line".

There is no "picking the line", according to the rules, when cars are "alongside". Your momentum going into a corner does not "entitle" you to anything. Otherwise, every race would have kamikaze passes where the inside car would simply push, with contact, alongside cars off the track.

ricksb likes this.
  24. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  25. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Fake document making the rounds. Unless they made a typo too :p