FORMULA 1 MYWORLD GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 19 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 MYWORLD GROSSER PREIS VON ÖSTERREICH 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    No. Max balked Charles and absolutely deserved a penalty.

ricksb and william like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I can't see McLaren as loser; they improved tremendously recently, have dominated their engine supplier Renault, and they are (at the moment) Best of the Rest.

Honda is still far from being a regular force in F1, although they are better than before.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sorry, wrong. McLaren should have been the first to win with Honda. They gave up and another team found out how to make it work.

FAIL

ATBNM3, stavura, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If the rules were applied, yes; no doubt.

But the stewards may have been invited to look at the wider picture; like keeping Red Bull and Honda interested in F1.
    Mateschitz threatened to walk away, and Honda isn't committed beyong 2020, I understand.
    So, closing the eyes on Max' "tactics" may have benefited F1, in one way.

Nothing is black and white in F1 anymore ...

WilyB and Pawilly like this.
  6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I understand. It’s a Don King “sport” now. That’s why I won’t attend races or spend any money on the F1 brand.

bmwracer, Pawilly and william like this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The Relationship between Woking and Honda was damaged beyond repair, I think.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Same here, but I am still addicted to following it.

crinoid and Pawilly like this.
  9. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    They chose to duck further criticism after the last two races.

10. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Red Bull has always had a superior car package for Austria and Hungary. That contributes mightily to the win.

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    cannot agree with you on this point, MV braked late [bold move] ran wide [inevitable] & missed the apex, forced CL wide, opened up steering thus pushing [contact] CL to the outside and OFF the track = gaining an advantage. I am all for hard racing but contact can and is dangerous.

Agree with you on other good points you raised, MV would have won, SF were cautious and defended against Bottas who was [clearly] never really ever in the race

daytona355 likes this.
  12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Here is what happened.

McLaren forced Honda into a package they didn't want to do. Honda then couldn't deliver. McLaren blamed Honda. Alonso blamed Honda. McLaren ripped up the agreement while Honda wanted to keep it going.

Honda went to RB. EVERYONE said it was a terrible mistake. RB worked with Honda and accepted it's concerns into its design. Honda reliability and power increased.

Honda wins first F1 GP with RB after 20 years.

Victory for RB. Victory for Honda. Failure for McLaren still struggling with the 4rd best engine on the grid.

Jakuzzi, crinoid, stavura and 4 others like this.
  13. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Any more than that and he would have had a penalty. Any less and he wouldn't have made the pass. Evil but genius.
    CL's move on Max the lap before was even better though, the guy's totally clinical.

daytona355 likes this.
  14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Very right on that, but would like to add I'm happy that Mclaren is finally improving. Wonderful performance from Norris yet again. I'm very happy I was wrong about this kid. Part of the future of F1 IMO

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

McLaren also suffered from a "palace revolution", with its CEO being eliminated from the firm.
    Dennis was the one who had invited Honda as engine Partner.
    Brown, the new CEO was enclined to listen to his Nr1 driver who accused Honda for the lack of result.
    Hence a decision was taken to switch engine supplier, apparently with the board approval.
    Yes, it was a gamble, but tell me which executive takes on the job of his sacked predecessor to follow the same Policy.
    McLaren suffers mostly of lack of continuity in its administration (like Ferrari).

16. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Is this Red Bull’s home track? How much of the cars Development was dependent on this track? Anyone know why the car works so well on this track ? The car did make everyone else look like they were in a different league.

Jokingly- it wasn’t Max(Lewis) it was the superior car that won the race. ;) Max (Lewis) are midpack Talent’s at best, lucky to be in cars that can’t lose on the tracks in Austria and Hungary (and all those tracks MB won on so far this season). LOL

ATBNM3 likes this.
  17. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Any time the hamster does not win it is a good day

JJ, Nortonious, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Curious isn't it?

Isobel, dflett, Jakuzzi and 3 others like this.
  19. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I think the stewards didn't want to get lynched by taking away a RBR win at their home track with all those rabid Max fans. For the FIA, it was a no win scenario.

P.Singhof, WilyB and sampelligrino like this.
  20. csmjr91090

csmjr91090 Rookie

May 18, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Craig
    It will only be verboten when Ferrari does it. Mark my words. We've already seen the twisting of logic when it comes to incidents involving Ferrari on track the last few years. If Ferrari is ahead, it their fault for not "yielding" to the guy behind (so much for racing I guess). If Ferrari is behind, they are blamed for putting the car "where it doesn't belong!" I find it interesting how we're lectured about the integrity of racing and how hard and aggressive racing is ok, except when Ferrari tries it. Then it becomes "reckless". Just listen to Sky Sports commentary when Vettel literally tries anything "aggressive". He's always wrong. But if Verstappen or Hamilton do it, its a "masterclass" if they succeed and a "good try" if they fail.

All of this talk of "other incidents are different!" is ********. Making contact that affects another driver is either ok or it isn't. There is no grey area there.

I'm not terribly bent out of shape over this incident as I believe Verstappen would have passed Leclerc anyway, but that wasn't guaranteed. I'm disappointed in the FIA's inconsistency and their seemingly anti-Ferrari bias.

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    McLaren made Honda look like amateurs when in reality their car likely was not a good match for the engine. I'm no engineer but having read Newey's book "How to build a car" gave me some insights in how important it is to get an engine manufacturer to work with you. You don't just bolt it to the back of your chassis. Newey mentions how they (RB) worked directly with Renault to get the blow-by effect of the engine supporting their aero. I can only imagine how incompetent McLaren has become to make the Honda engine blow up time and again when a year later it delivers a victory.

I also truly hope that Honda will get back to its former glory (McLaren days when they were piloted by Senna/Prost) and be a true rival to MB. That's the ticket.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yes it is their home track, but given the restrictions on testing, that's pretty much meaningless and mostly symbolic. I bet they have more data (like every other team) on tracks like Silverstone and Barca.

MB's defeat were the tires. Lets hope that continues (although I'm not holding my breath, I believe this was an anomaly). Regardless, my biggest two take-aways were the refreshing battle of the youngsters and the resurgence of Honda.

Mark(study) and ATBNM3 like this.
  23. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Sometimes the engine manufacturer refuses* to work with you when you're in the same team. (See John Barnard and guess who......................Ferrari). :rolleyes:

*ok, maybe not "refuses", more like passive/aggressive.:D

24. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Yes, i'm still waiting for someone to show us ... in the rules, not in their imagination ... when it's permitted to push an alongside-driver completely off-track ... WITH CONTACT.

What are the circumstances, by the rules, when this is allowed? I'd sure like to know!

daytona355 and william like this.
  25. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I think they would have won with a Renault PU this year. The Red Bull flatters the under-powered Honda as it did the Renault. Neither PU is near Ferrari or Mercedes - not even close.

william, Jack-the-lad and ricksb like this.