2015 California T Radio Problem | FerrariChat

2015 California T Radio Problem

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by JC Massad, Jun 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JC Massad

JC Massad Rookie

Jun 15, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Entamean
    I recently got a 2015 California T. The radio (with the Apple Play option) stopped working. When I turn it on, The screen lights up with the horse, stays that way for about 20 seconds and goes off completely. I can repeat the process and it will do the same thing over and over. Any ideas what it could be.

2. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    I would try to disconnect the battery to force the system to reboot. It freezes sometimes.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  3. JC Massad

JC Massad Rookie

Jun 15, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Entamean
    Thank you for the recommendation. I tried it. Didn't work. I know the screen works because the rear view camera works normal.

4. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Press the on off button of the multimedia (lower left one) for about half a minute to a minute while the engine is running. It should get back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    It works on mine. If the on/off procedure does not work you should bring it to your Ferrari dealer and ask for a fix + system update.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    You popped a code (yes that will turn of the screen), though in some cases you will still hear the sound. If you have the right type of scanning tool you can clear the code.

7. JC Massad

JC Massad Rookie

Jun 15, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Entamean
    Thank you all. I gave up and took it to the dealer. I’ll keep you posted in case it happens to someone else

8. JC Massad

JC Massad Rookie

Jun 15, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Entamean
    UPDATE. Ferrari of New England said that they did the update on the radio and that did not fix the problem. They said Ferrari's Tech Line recommended they remove the unit and check the wiring. They did, and that did not fix anything (I thought it wouldn't since we had constant power and the problem was not intermittent). Now they said I need a new radio and the cost is approx 12K. Obviously I'm not doing that. Any suggestions?!?!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. odellicour

odellicour Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Knowing the infotainment is a Chrisler device costing less than 1.000$ it hurts to pay that much for the Ferrari logo.
    There is a post from someone who replace his infotainment by a Chrisler one.
    You just need a VIN code that you can buy online for 25$ if I remember well for the car to recognize the radio.
    But you will get the Chrilser logo when you start the car...
    I am pretty sure you can alter the firmware to inject the Ferrari logo.

When I had troubles with mine, my Ferrari dealer told me they could send my unit back to Ferrari to fix it. It costs less than the device itself.

10. TooHot

TooHot Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gene Lorenzetti

did you ever find fix
    mine just started doing that also ???

11. TooHot

TooHot Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gene Lorenzetti

did you ever get it fixed

this sucks mine is doing same thing

12. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    This helped for me if holding the power button doesnt help:

Make sure your iphone is charged 100%. Close all the apps on iphone one by one. Wait 20 seconds after you start the car, connect the iphone. Click to an app on iphone which is using second display such as waze or spotify, press carplay button on infotainment. This somehow resets it.

13. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I hate to say this happened today after I wrote the above. With no reasonable explanation, nothing I tried including above worked.

I noticed sometimes my iphone doesnt start charging when connected when this issue is also happening so I'm thinking maybe that's because keeping the iphone connected all the time with waze and other apps open may be draining to much car battery even though car is moving.

So I unplugged the usb cables. Drove the car for an hour. Then when I stopped the car at a gas station and locked the car for 10 minutes and came back everything started working again.

14. TooHot

TooHot Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gene Lorenzetti
    You got lucky
    I cant figure it out
    I called 3 ferrari service dept and got 3 different responses
    One said motherboard shot
    One said software
    One said radio is toast
    I really want to het this fixed
    Just put car on charger hope it helps and it will be fully charged
    Any help would be appreciated
    Frustrating !!!!!!

15. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Sorry for the Necropost but the Becker Harman NIT radio head unit on my 2016 Cali T is rebooting every 10-20 seconds. I went through the hard reset procedure. Nada. My (very qualified) dealership tried all their tricks. Power is good. Harness/connectors are fine. When NIT boots up you see (1) Ferrari logo, (2) get a brief connection warning, (3) radio returns to same channel / volume where it was last....for about 5 seconds....and then reboot all over again.

I know these are the same units as in Chryslers. My San Jose based radio/audiophile guys all said "probably a hard drive boot error / etc".

Thoughts on what to try next?

I can likely easily get the replacement hard drive (probably a Samsung since they bought Harman 10 years or so ago). How would one go about porting the boot software from a bad drive to a new one. My audio guys also said to format the hard drive in Fat32 data format as there is an 80% chance that's what it boots on now.

Other ideas? What a complete POS. 3500 miles on the car and it has been garaged / babied it's entire life.

Dealer says $11k for the Chrysler radio. Aftermarket can look a little cheesy.

Other ideas or links? I also checked the FF forums as I think this is the exact same head unit. No detailed threads there but several folks complaining of their radio dying.

The Ferrari part number is 316866. Tried a few salvage guys. No stock there either.

Next thing is to send the radio to an electronics shop that works on these types of things. I suspect they deal with the hard drive booting issue all the time. Hopefully.

Anything else I should try?

Thank you for listening.

16. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    It might not be the head unit. The Apple car play head units have a separate I-Node ECU, which accepts the video inputs from the cameras etc. When the head unit receives an input from the I-Node ECU, the head unit's screen switches to that input. If there is an issue with the visual input from that ECU, the head unit would show a blank screen. The I-Node ECU is located behind the driver's side floor mat somewhere. You could simply have a loose harness. The USB inputs also go through that I-Node ECU which sends signals to the Head unit. In the pic attached it is the eco on the lower left corner.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    BB2,

Thanks for the input. Really appreciate it.
    The dealer had a "same year" head unit they keep in the shop to test for this. When they pulled my head unit and put the test unit in, everything worked fine. Hence their thinking it was/is the head unit. And my current thinking from what I learned on the All-Par and MyGig-Disk sites about the usual "pattern" for what's wrong with these units when they start looping.

Please also note that this is NOT a CarPlay unit. The model number I referenced is for the OEM Becker NIT for North America without CarPlay. I honestly cannot remember if CarPlay was not yet an option on my 2016 or if I just passed on it b/c I am not a big radio / feature user when driving my cars.

Thank you!

Keep those thoughts coming and, if it is interesting to others here, I will keep posting what we find out.

18. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    If you have cameras, then it could be the non apple car play i-Node ECU that is the problem. I believe that one is in the trunk.

19. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    The backup camera was not available for my car when it was ordered and therefore is not part of the equation. I will ask the dealer to double check that. Thank you, BB2.

20. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    What happened..... can't wait. 6 months later. I think applecar play was 2019 maybe.... I have a 2015 no car play. But can't get the volume to go higher when someone calls in.

21. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    Software upgrade

22. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name: