LEAKY STEERING RACK ON MONDIAL T | FerrariChat

LEAKY STEERING RACK ON MONDIAL T

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by NYCFERRARIS, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    HELP! The power steering rack on my mondial t (same rack as on a 348) is leaking a lot of fluid out the driver's side gaiter (between the rack pump nad the tie rod) I thought it would be a simple seal but Rutlands is telling me the ENTIRE RACK IS ONE UNIT AND NEEDS TO BE REPLACED CANNOT BE REBUILT OR REPAIRED IN THE FIELD! THis is crazy and I have just about had it...they are not even sure they can get a new one.. SOOO>.....anyone know of a good rack out there , maybe from a wreck, or if FERRAI UK sells these racks?

Also would love R/R tips, does the new rack need to be bled like other hydrualics etc..

If this kind of parts abuse continues I think I will liquidate my Ferraris (now three) and quit them altogether and go Ford GT40 or Porsche.. I have had the worst sting of bad luck with these ferrari parts...3008 combonation swithc broke, mondial rear windo / conv top cut (need to buy the whole roof contraption) and other s. MAYBE SOMEONE OUT THERE CAN SAVE ME FROM PORSCHE!

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Go call or email Ferrari UK. I bought a 328 rack from them last year, and it was about 50% less than from FNA, even after shipping and duty! I think it came to about $800.

3. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Hi,

I started calling around, hard to find item looks like only new dealer item available close to 2G. Sent a email to ferrari UK and hope to get good cheap response, I hear great things about them on this chat. Any ideas as to what other work I should do at the same time? Obviosly bushings, mounts, maybe tierod ends.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Are you sure that the rack can't be rebuilt?. Ferrari did not build their own racks (still don't) They were sourced from other companies. The 308 racks are Fiat or alfa (can't remember which). Oh...348 rack is not a power unit. If your rack does not have power assist there is no reason that it can't be rebuilt. If it is power assist then more then likely just a seal has blowen inside and the seals will have to be replaced..standard industry stuff. Geez were talking about car parts!! not Mars rover stuff!!. If they put it toeghter then it has to come apart! The guys that made the rack have to get their parts from somewere!!

Find a local place the rebuilds racks and other hydrualic compoments. Pull the rack out of the car and take it to them. Tell them to see what they can do. Don't tell them what you pulled it out of and I'll bet the can fix it.

I have been told numerous times that parts are unrebuildable. Only to fine-out that they are fully servicable buy checking for myself and pulling stuff apart.

Tom

5. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    All Mondial t's had power units.

6. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    VERY INTERESTING!

Called gentry lane and they say only OEM parts available as a complete unit (including the boot gaiters!) no other way can't be rebuilt and no field rebuild kits or "seals" available....got same info from Rutland but intersting they say they gat a guy (some mystery man -- they won't reveal) who does rebuild the racks only for them (???) so they will contact him and I could send in my core and have him rebuild it...kinda begs the question, steering is fine except for leak in one area and I need to keep toppong up the resoviour.

Seems crazy to me to toss out and entire rack assembly for the cost of one seal and pay close to $2 g in the process....why do they punish us like this?

Why do the rear window motors in the mondial cost $1G??? the little window goes all of 5 inches and rather slowly at that?

I would love to get this rack rebuilt by a good ole' fashion american repair shop, where good ole yankee ingenuity can look at it and rebuild anything for all of $250

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Right, forgot to mention on my new 328 rack; it was made by TRW, and had new boots, and new tie rod ends included, complete, for $800 delivered to my door in Seattle, from Ferrari UK. Two day delivery time, no less.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the clearification!! I have yet to see a Mondial t in my shop so I wasn't sure..I did have one pull in quickly for a quick look but never drove or got it on the hosit!!

Tom

9. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    You have mail!

Best
    Mark

10. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Hi

got a quote form UK and it IS CHEAPER than the US, but still pricey, I will see how much shipping is and it may come close to US prices with shipping.

ANyone have any thoughts on Remove / replace instructions, does the power steering unit have to be bled like brakes, any thoughts on seperating the rack from the column at the spline unit? Is that easy?

Also why does my SLOW 1/4 light go on? do I need new OX sensor?

11. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Did you try and cross-ref the part numbers with TRW?

12. piercer1

piercer1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2004
    cleveland, TN
    Full Name:
    joe kirkpatrick
    I am in the import parts business, and I buy remanufactured racks from a company called "CV Source" in Atlanta, GA. I have been to their facility, and they do everything in house. They took me through the remanufacturing process of a power rack, and I was surprised to find out they just don't hone it out and put new seals in it. Since most rack unit housings are aluminum, they bore the housing out, and press in a stainless steel sleeve. You might contact them. I know they don't list Ferrari in their literature, but I have sent racks down there for Land Rovers and the like, and they have been able to do them. T Rutlands is in the same vicinity - maybe this is their "secret" rebuilder.

13. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Hi,

I would think this could be rebuilt,

1) Could not find a website o phone for "CV SOURCE" in Atlanta.

2) Any idea how I would find out the TRW part number?

Might wind up giving in ( i hate that) as I have with the other sick stupid priced ( no rebuild availble) Ferrari parts I bought ( 308 combination switch - 348 water pump - mondial convertible top - mondial rear window motor) OR i might simply break downall together and just get a porsche or gt 40 (waiting list is probably already full)

all help appreciated

14. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
    Here is the info on 4 businesses with CV in their name in or near Atlanta taken from Switchboard.com.

Cv Source

Norcross, GA 30071 Phone: (706) 354-0998

Business Types: Wheel Alignment & Axle Repair, more...

Cv Source-Front-Wheel Drive Axels

2891 Cole Ct
    Norcross, GA 30071-2100 Phone: (770) 449-5521

C V Source

Warner Robins, GA 31088 Phone: (478) 922-3314

Business Types: Automobile Parts-Used & Rebuilt (Whol)

C V Source

Columbus, GA 31901 Phone: (706) 561-3251

15. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    great I will call them, I did a Superpages.com search and got nothing....this was very helpful and maybe this can be rebuilt, but I will say the Ferrari UK guys are just great and they are making me some great deals that make rebuilding less attractive.