Mondial wheel question | FerrariChat

Mondial wheel question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ddiggler, Dec 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    I posted this question in the Mondial wheel section but don't know if it will get the same attention as in this thread. My question. Doe anyone know if a TSW Nürburgring style wheel 5x108 17x8 with 40mm offset will fit an 86 Mondial cabriolet? One website says it fits. Another wheel company said that the TSW rep said it wont work. Any insight? Dont want to pay for return shipping and a restock fee. Thanks. Doug.

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Couple ways to go about it. You could mock up the wheel specs in cardboard/heavy paper and test fit. You could go by the specs of other non stock wheel people are running and compare similar sizes. I for one run 360 starfish wheels on both an 85 and 86 mondials. 360 wheels are 18x7.5 front 18x9.5 rear with offests of +28mm. So if you take the fronts at 18x7.5 pretty close to your 8" TSW width. You have a 12MM difference which is less than 1/2". Which means that the TSW wheel would essentially be 12mm closer to the inside line of the car. Your not in danger of hitting suspension on the inside, it's just a matter of how the outside edge of the wheel would be in relation to the fender lip and if you like the look. The 7.5" starfish wheels on the front IMO could come in a little so more offset would be fine. I've never mounted a front starfish on the rear of the mondial but the look wheel/fender would be the same. Just thinking about it, I would say yes they should fit pretty well. You can always fine tune things with spacers, and longer bolts if needed but 1/2" difference in the offset shouldn't be a problem based on the fact people regularly run 360 starfish.

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Also find out the specs for 348 wheels which is another common mod people do. I think they use all front wheels but might be wrong

4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I too have been looking at TSW wheels along with anything else that will replace the stock wheels on a Mondial. From all the research I've done here is my conclusion:
    348 wheels fit with no mods, 355 wheels fit with a 1 inch spacer, 360 wheels fit with 25mm shaved off the rears mounting pad.
    I've been using this app to verify that aftermarket wheels will fit knowing that the above wheels fit.
    https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=55&diameter=16&wheelwidth=7&offset=51&width2=235&aspect2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=10&offset2=38
    PS you'll need to enter the new information in the boxes

5. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    Hey Bill. Where are you in the Pacific North West?

6. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’d say Lakewood but it’s turning into LakeHood.

7. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’d say Lakewood but it’s turning into LakeHood.

8. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    We'll have to catch up sometime. I'm in Bonney lake. What year Mondial? What are the current wheels?

9. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Did you ever replace your wheels? I recently did my rear suspension and have to do something about the wheels now. What fits? Getting some drive time?

10. ddiggler

ddiggler Karting

Nov 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    doug nelson
    No, not yet. Still on the fence with what style I want. I may just pull the trigger soon and get the TSW Nürburgring style. Look to be easier to clean than my current ones. I did get it out this weekend down to Ruston Way in Tacoma. Other than that I have been doing the typical 30 or 40 min cruises. What did you do with the rear suspension?

11. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I was investigating a noise I thought was an alternator bearing and found a torn CV axle boot. That led to a “while you’re there” might as well replace the perished rubber suspension bushings and leaky shocks.
    Although I have no reason not to trust the car other than a few hard hot starts I’ve yet to go further than 10 miles from home.
    I understand your wheel dilemma the only set I really like are from China and more than I want to spend.

Image Unavailable, Please Login