308vs328 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

308vs328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brent328, Feb 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #76 paulchua, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    In certain areas, the 308gtsi/308qv/328 are 'better' objectively then the Mondial 8/qv/3.2 series. Specifically, straight line speed, handling, and overall lap times.

In terms of pristige, there is no doubt the market has spoken, the Mondials are consistently less expensive and generally regarded with less esteem by the majority of folks versus the 308/328 series.

As far as reliability, I have no hard data ala J.D. Power/Consumer Reports, but it's been my anecdotal experience that the 308/328 are generally more reliable, especially in the realm of electronic gremlins.

I am willing to put down money that you take 100 average car enthusiasts and ask them to rate which car looks better, that the majority of them would pick the 308/328.

Still, I prefer the Mondial, in particular, the 't' variant; and I do believe for me, it is the 'better' car.

This post is not meant to be a chest-pumping bravado; that my stick is longer than yours.., truth be told - it would be silly for me as all the cars mentioned are 'slow,' 'unreliable' and 'cheap' compared to Ferrari's latest offerings.

My preference will no doubt be disagreed by many here, especially in the temple of the 308/328 forum. That's fine; this post is not to meant to convert or challenge. My purpose is to explain why a person might heaven forbid, consider the Mondial the 'better' car.

Before I start, let's get the 'settling' reason out of the way. I can easily 'upgrade' to a 328 - so it's a null point. I'm either a very sad bull pie, or sincere in this contention.

Why do I think the Mondial is better than the 308/328?

First, the looks, I like how the Mondial looks over the 308/328. Call me an odd duck, strange, aesthetically challenged, or something worse - that's fine. I often call people who procure multi-million dollar canvases with splattered paint the same, so not going to hurl any stones your way from my greenhouse. In the end, gentlemen, let's be happy for each other's view of what defines automotive beauty. You certainly do not have to agree, and that's fine since you certainly do not have to buy a Mondial, nor I a Jackson Pollock (if I ever had the means)!

Second, I love the rarity. There were ~21,678 208s/308s/328s made. Compare this to the 6K made of the Mondial. It's almost 4x time rarer. Why does this matter to me? Because I enjoy going to car meets and having the only car of its kind in the whole place. I never liked being that guy that showed up to the party with the same shirt as other folks. One reason I got a Ferrari was I relished in the uniqueness of it. The Mondial delivers that an in spades. Of course, you're snickering that my shirt is 'ugly' and that's okay...I like it (see #1 above.)

Third, I love the back seats. I have a wife and two kids, being able to share the prancing horse experience with them any time has been nothing short of magical.

Fourth, it's 'fast' enough for me, and if you take the latest track handicaps, my 't' is a better performer then the 308/328.

Fifth, thanks to graciousness, time, and services of folks like 'yelcab' - The car has been reasonably reliable. Not nearly as scary as I was first led to believe.

Sixth, the low cost is what makes me not care to park it anywhere. If it gets a door ding or a scratch - I shrug and get it sorted later on. I have zero 'parking' anxiety. Still, the car consistently gets requested to be in 'front' of every fancy hotel I've checked in with the car without fail.

Seventh, there's no denying it - the value! It has so far lowered the same 'velvet' ropes from what I see other 308/328 owners enjoy. I get invited to the same dealer events; the same club meets the same rallies — the entrance cost for me far less; $27,000 to be exact.

Eighth, the long wheelbase makes it very easy to drive vs. the shorter wheelbase brethren. This fact has saved me from a couple spins on the track.

Ninth, the fantastic long-distance ability. I've driven the car for hours on end and still felt relatively okay. It's comfort settings do save the day on longer trips. Yet, it has the same engine as the 308/328/348. Same gated shifter. Same sounds, same Connolly leather.

Tenth, I admit; this is entirely anecdotal, but I will still mention it. The virtual Mondial community seems to be 'especially' helpful, friendly, and amicable. I think the fact that we are the 'red-haired' stepchildren give us an extra dose of humility although I'm sure after reading this you're shaking your head at my lack of self-awareness.

So there you have it. I hope you find this an honest post, and if you at least understand (even a little bit) how somebody could 'love' it more then a 308/328 - then I've done my job.

I wish you all endless miles of driving happiness and good health.

Rosey and vaccarella like this.
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think the 308- 328 series are THE last Ferrari's of the classic Enzo era. they are Fiat cars - yes I know, but Enzo was alive for almost the entire run of cars... dying in 88, there is only 1 year of 328/ Mondial TR F-40 production that he was not alive for. To Me this means that Ferrari the company was still basically the same as it was when He sold out to FIAT. He was "President - Chairman" etc.... I think that is a historical context people don't really think about. if Enzo was involved with the 288 GTO and F-40 cars... even briefly, he then knew about and sanctioned the other models... I'm very happy to have one of my own.

as for an investment - doubt that they will do much more than where they are now... but you never know, you see less and less of them in the wild, and when I drive mine there are still a lot of people who still stare and look at the car... It is one of the most iconic shapes in the automotive world... so that says a lot.

paulchua, 308 milano and Rosey like this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have had a number of life long Ferrari owners who had a 328 as a new car and want another 328 to wind up their Ferrari driving days. The cars a very fondly remembered by many of the original owners.

hardtop, paulchua, 308 milano and 3 others like this.
  4. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    For me the 328 was an easy Ferrari to own virtually bullet proof reliability, easy to drive, practical but still an analogue car, sensible running costs, the 308 is a bit more raw and less well made but has the most character.

JohnnyTS likes this.
  5. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I'm all for character.

MFlanagan likes this.
  6. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    To me changing my 1978 308 for a 1988 328 meant that the issues you call character were fortunately solved resulting in a faster and more reliable car. The 328 is basically the last in the 308 series and as may be expected is the best of the steel body series in all but 1 aspect the better car. The 1 aspect are the more classic interior panels.

7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    I’m the long run 308 gtb carb vs 88 328 gts which will command more $

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I don't think that is predictable. As time goes by and some state smog laws get tougher you may be restricted to where it can even be sold. Already California is a limited market and it is such a big market it can't help but be depressing prices some already. THAT WILL GET WORSE.

That said a fiberglass dry sump car would trump any negatives just mentioned.

328 will be cheaper and easier to own from a maintenance standpoint. A B has a better outlook but I'd buy what you want to drive. I never considered a B for the same reason most buyers thought when they were new, why have one that you can't take the roof off? To me it was the reason to have one.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  9. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    +1
    My 328 has been more reliable than my 360 or 430, perhaps because there are fewer things to break :D

vaccarella and Rosey like this.
  10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    In my opinion its sad that anyone would think of a Ferrari as an investment rather than a Pure Driving machine. I say if thats a concern for someone please leave the car for someone else to enjoy because your purchase is for all the wrong reasons. If you like the 308 / 328 and want to experience what Ferrari used to be all about then buy it and if your interested in which is the best 3x8 since its inception then buy an 89 GTB or GTS its that simple.

Thank you

PS I have 102k miles on my 89 GTS and every one of my drives have left me with a great big grateful smile on my face. That Im in the very few percentage of people on this earth who have had the experience of the most exciting driving machine the world has ever produced meaning Ferrari

11. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I also own 7 motorcycles in which 2 are brand new Ducatis, and I could care less what their re sale value is I love to ride even more than driving my 328 Ferrari Ferrari is in my blood its either in yours as well or not if not then dont buy one same as motorcycles theyre in your blood or they are not if not then dont ride because you will be killed on one and thats a fact.

12. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    This is very true, I have spoken to many 360/430 owners and had plenty feedback since I like them, they have more problems, they were initially the most reliable Ferrari's ever but not in the real world, they have F1 pumps that fail, more frequent that one would expect, the door handle openers cabled fails, inside and outside, the have plenty error codes that can pop up - related to electrical and components like air-flow meters. Spider tops comes with issues, misalignment and they don't look so good in Spider version like our older cars...

the manual cars have much less problems but if problems arises the costs can also be much higher than our older cars, don't believe they are as easy to work on like 3x8's

13. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    To the OP (regarding investment): from July, 2009

14. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    In response to reliability comments of 328/360 models, I have both, and both have been very reliable. I own them since 2012/2013. The CS has never needed anything other than yearly service.

The 328 has had a few issues (water pump, fuel pump, alternator, door closing and locking) here and there but nothing big. I spent a few years working abroad and only when it was not being used regularly the 328 gave me problems.

Both cars have done approx 7k km each since I have them. Not that much but still not real garage queens.

15. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    RE: 328 vs 430 reliability. I owned 3 328s over a period of years and all 3 were quite reliable though not without an occasional niggling issue. I bought a 430 new in 2005 and still have it. Maintenance is cheap and I have had virtually no problems other than having the headers replaced under warranty circa 2008. Of course, mine is a 3 pedal coupe which eliminates at least half the troubles owners report. Can't speak for 360s. Never owned one.