Mexico Windscreen wanted | FerrariChat

Mexico Windscreen wanted

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by lbird, Jul 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Since i had a little Maserati mishap last week (my windscreen chrome frame went flying while driving over a hump at 190 km/h, quite a scare, seems it was squeezed out from the wind) i am looking for a new windscreen for my Mexico (a second frame is already here). It seems that new ones are not available (i contacted Pilkington already, they don't have the tools anymore), a good used one would be fine too. Does anybody know where a spare one or a new one may be obtained (in Europe)? Any help is appreciated like always....

2. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello lbird...

Very unfortunate! I am a bit surprised that Pilkington cannot help !

Wasn't there a company in Norway or Sweden that produced windscreens for the GT cars?
    Unfortunately, I can't remember the name, but perhaps this will help someone else remember...

Mike

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    You are thinking of Sicurvetro in Finland

http://sicurvetro.com/

Ivan

4. Art H

Art H Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 15, 2014
    Will the windscreen from a qp1 fit?

5. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Thank you Ivan... That's the company I was thinking about...

Mike

6. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    I contacted Sicurvetro by email, thank you for the hint. Will let you know if they can help....
    And i don't think a QP1 windscreen will fit, when you see the cars side by side the shape seems to differ, but i am not 100% sure...

7. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    Hello Lbird, very strange reply from Pilkington. Few month ago, the dutch owner of 316 asked me where to find a new windscreen. I sent him the Pilkington link and they were able to sold him a new one. According to him, it fits perfectly.
    On the other hand, the back window is impossible to find. For my biggest misfortune, I broked mine during a transportation. Few days later, an example appeared on eBay Germany from a wreck. I bought it. What a chance!

8. vignalespider

vignalespider Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    CH
    Hi Wilde,
    happended to me in my first big outing in my Mexico in summer 2003. I was not at 190km/h, but130km/h, and the one who followed my on the motorway was a French tourist who did not dare to complain ... The frame is of substantial weight, even if made in two symmetrical parts and held together by couplings.
    The one who can help you in Antti Wihanto at www.sicurvetro.com in Finland. He has lots of windscreens, and maybe also a Mexico screen.
    Good luck and and us a picture of the car brought back to its beauty!
    Peter

9. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    That is funny that the same thing happened to you. It seems that the chrome frames are prone to be squeezed out of the surrounding rubber when the car works under load of wind and road bumps. I am thinking now how i can prevent this. Probably i just put some Sicaflex in the corners to fix the frame there. Any other ideas or suggestions?

10. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    sorry to hear about the flying chrome strips. I shall carefully inspect mine for tightness!

related question: Does anyone know if the windshield/rear window gaskets from the italian company in Cosenza are a good fit? I’d like to know if they fit well before spending 600-700€ on rubber.

Thanks
    Bart

11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    For rubber I use http://www.cicognaniguarnizioni.it/
    Very good quality.
    Ivan

12. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    I can only second Ivans recommendation - the windshield gaskets from Cicognani were a good fit on my car. The fit of the door window rubber was not that good in comparison to the windscreen rubber (ordered everything available for the Mexico from them)---

13. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009