My turn for 488 battery problems | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My turn for 488 battery problems

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ca_scud, Jun 29, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zombies

Zombies Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    FWIW the Ferrari-contracted tow truck driver told me that keeping the headlights in “auto” is causing a bunch of these problems. Chalk this up as anecdata but he said he used to have to visit the same cars over and over and once they started leaving headlights off auto he never heard from them again. It’s not impossible that the system is designed badly and has a large power draw.

After the miserable stuck-at-Subway experience I had, I’ve left the headlights off and turn them on manually when I need them. I am still anxious just about turning my car off to get gas.

sampelligrino, docf and ca_scud like this.
  2. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    After all this trouble for so many of us, it’s worth a shot.

3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    In my search for a replacement, I was unable to find a quality battery that was not Start/Stop rated. If you dig deep down into the specs any AGM I found with at least the rated current was Start/Stop rated. This left me thinking that was the differentiation for AGM vs. normal wet cell lead acid. Bottom line, I do not believe a HELE Ferrari has any different battery than the same car non-HELE.

As others point out, Interstate batteries are a good replacement in the States but IMO overpriced and can be less capable than others more readily available.

4. All these battery problems ... maybe just drive the car more often?

I dunno, sounds crazy I know.

Sorry, my bad.

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Napoli it is very compact and rather light so will fit behind your seat and maybe in the glove-box if it isn't full like most get. I generally put it in the frunk as behind the seat it may get thrown around during the tight stuff - unless packed in with some other soft stuff to keep it from moving around. Even if you are fortunate enough to escape inconvenience you can use it as a light and a power source to charge your devices so it isn't a waste of money in that sense.

PS.
    Il Co -Pilota. Yes you are correct Pista comes with lithium Battery (my bad) but Pista also comes with a tender and needs to be plugged into that tender all the time and that can only mean the cars lithium battery is vulnerable to falling below a certain charge point even if it is a bit more durable - and, most likely because the engine's alternator still never charges it up properly.
    The interstate as is being referred to is now a go to battery for the 488 but while it may be less subject to drain out - losing charge past the critical point - it still needs the tender therefore, whilst it may last longer there is no guarantee it isn't going to let you down when you are least expecting it.

I think when Ferrari can sell a car without providing a tender as standard equipment then that will be the time I know they have actually done something about the issue. Until then I will keep my preparations in order.

ca_scud and Napoli like this.
  6. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Ordered! :cool:

Shadowfax likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No it has nothing to do with that. This problem hits those who daily their cars as well. You can drive your Lusso 5 days a week to and from the office, and you are at just as much risk of your car not starting as the guy who weekends his Speciale and leaves it on the charger. Fact is that Ferrari uses a hyper cheap POS battery. Nobody will ever understand why, other than the people choosing the batteries.

Shadowfax and ca_scud like this.
  8. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    They have not resolved this on pista. Had 488 spiders and now a pista. It’s an even worse battery. 2 flameouts already. It’s a more delicate high performance lightweight lithium ion that is unreliable. Need a power pack at all times to be safe. And it’s a pain to access pista battery. Need to remove metal floorboard panel

Shadowfax likes this.
  9. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    Damn that is rough. Sorry to hear that.

10. elevated velocity

Feb 9, 2019
    Sigh. You think we’d be moving forward not backwards when it comes to these issues. Maybe an aftermarket lithium ion battery may do better ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #36 Shadowfax, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Yes but the main problem hasn't been addressed and until that happens throwing a bigger/better battery at it will only buy you a bit more time between flame outs and, lead you into a false sense of security in the process. It sucks having to have to worry about stuff like this on a car like this. Just ridiculous!

Yes unfortunately when I saw my Pista hooked up to a tender I straight away thought to myself omg that's not a good sign at all!!

PS. How much trouble is it to remove the alloy cover plate? Need a torx or anything like that to get the screws out?

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

When you get a chance see if the LEDs are lit like the 488. BTW where did you get the power pack / model

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Now they make SF90 with quite a large battery...good luck with that!

ca_scud and Solid State like this.
  14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Good point. This thread clearly documents the ongoing battery and charging issues. Not to worry, I hear Interstate is working on an SF90 battery replacement. Complete with the cooling adapters for maybe $50K. Just kidding but as you point out good luck with that.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  15. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Daily drove mine and hooked to battery tender nightly and battery crapped out after only 2-3 months. POS OEM battery.

HA

16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #41 Shadowfax, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    https://cocoonpower.com/products/beatit-bt-g18-2000a-peak-21000mah-12v-portable-car-jump-starter-up-to-8-0l-gas-and-8-0l-diesel-auto-battery-booster-with-smart-jumper-cables-wireless-charger?variant=8339092537389

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B07FTG9PBK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_hist_5?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=five_star&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=1

There are cheaper models in this brand but I wanted one with maximum power and this one reviewed well. These guys are in Vic.

Re the rear leds they may be part of the problem but probably only a very small part considering. Overall I'm far from convinced electrics/electronics are Ferrari's forte. Pity really because the rest of the car is generally fine.

MANDALAY likes this.
  17. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA

Several screws. Little torque needed. After you take it off the first time, just keep it hand tightened for the next time. In daylight, not a big problem. At night, forget it, especially if you are having dinner with the wife and come out to a dead car. Don’t bother waiting for a tow truck jump start, even from Ferrari roadside. Very few will have the right jumper or are qualified to jump this particular battery. They will just tow it. You need to keep a power pack handy and DIY. It’s a pain.

MANDALAY and ca_scud like this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not surprised. If they don't want to pay for a good AGM battery, why would they pay for a good liion battery.
    Oh well. I suppose that the fix in a Pista is now a 2000 usd Braille lithium pack, vs. an Interstate 280 usd AGM.
    I stand figm.on my view on the alternator. I've seen them tested and seen the units. They are good altenators. I do not see how it can be an altenator issue. But that is easily tested. Charge the car fully. Measure the voltage. Drive the car for an hour. Measure again. If voltage is the same, the system is fully capable of keeping the battery charged, and the problem occurs because the battery loses its charge fast as it sits. This is what I have seen. Additionally, one could also let it sit, and take the car oug when the battery was down say 0.5 volts compared to fully charged. If the battery stays low after the drive, then the altenator is part of the issue, but if the battery is charged at least 0.25-0.3 volts after an hour,, then the altenator has the needed capacity.

19. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    This has been discussed in other posts, but if you watch the voltage on a 488 you will see it move all over the place during a drive. It appears that they attempt to lower the alternator load on the engine during acceleration and raise it during braking. But other times it moves for no reason so there is more than that going on. Anyway, it isn't clear that the objective of the system is to keep the battery topped off at all times.

Of course none of that explains the leaky electrical system that allows the car to go dead while sitting.

MANDALAY, Shadowfax and ca_scud like this.
  20. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    This is really bad news. Either Ferrari isn’t aware of the problem or (more likely) they just don’t care. I suspect this will begin to negatively affect sales if they don’t resolve the problem ASAP.

21. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    As much as ferraris have become more practical since the 90s, i think this battery issue will continue to fall in that category of issues that consumers just tolerate in these cars. They will only address it if sales are at risk. Ferrari seems to thibk that they walk on water in this respect. If future production gears more towards higher volume, Ferrari may have to consider issues like the battery, sticky buttons, brake failures, etc more aggresively as they try to pull consumers away from porsche/ mercedes/etc. Doesnt help any current 458/488/pista/f8(?) owners though :(

Sent from my SM-N920V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MANDALAY and Shadowfax like this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yes well it was made very clear to me by the techs that it isn't. It's only supposed to generate enough to run the engine and systems but the battery for some crazy reason doesn't fall into that category hence why the tender is provided. And the leaky electrical system also isn't helpful......just makes matters worse.

Viper 830tt hits the nail on the head with the statement "Ferrari think they can walk on water in this respect" - a very sad state of affairs for the owners who really deserve better than this.

MANDALAY likes this.
  23. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I believe they replaced it with another Ferrari branded battery.

24. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I have posted previously about my experience with this issue, and what is probable root cause. It's not the battery, its the design and software strategy of the charging system. Both my 488's had this issue, and both times it was resolved with new software.

25. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    Just when you finally get a pista and go out to dinner for some Miller time, you come out to a dead battery and it’s Uber time, baby

ca_scud likes this.