Windshield wipers | FerrariChat

Windshield wipers

Discussion in '612/599' started by montegoblue, Jun 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Hey guys,
    Pleased to inform that my 612 GTS is going stronger than ever just turned 40000 miles on the odometer; car got serviced / new tires / new battery and is working flawlessly however … my windshield wipers stopped working on me last week.
    Would love to learn and troubleshoot on my own (my dealer is 2 hours away) if possible and not too big on a project.
    If someone has dealt with this and would not mind sharing a walkthrough and some instructions and will be very thankful. Unfortunately I do not own the shop manual but open to get it if you all think it was useful. Tried to do a search on the forum but couldn't find anything pertaining the 612.
    Thank you,
    Carlos

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Was the wiper motor making any noise before it stopped working? My wiper motor is currently making a noise and I'm afraid that is a prelude to failure.

One thing I did learn is the wiper motor is the same one used in a Mazda, so if you have to replace it you may be able to source it cheaper than a Ferrari branded one.

3. montegoblue

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    That is good news ; mine was acting up with only auto setting working for a few months but honestly forgot all about it because seldom driven in rain. How do I get to the motor to check it vs the switch / relay going bad? Also if it could be a Mazda part any cross reference number ? Thanks

4. montegoblue

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    That is good news ; mine was acting up with only auto setting working for a few months but honestly forgot all about it because seldom driven in rain. How do I get to the motor to check it vs the switch / relay going bad? Also if it could be a Mazda part any cross reference number ? Thanks

5. montegoblue

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN

6. montegoblue

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN

7. montegoblue

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No, I don't have any part number. I really don't normally even need the wipers, but I'm planning to drive cross country to the FCA Annual Experience in November and I'm thinking I should probably be sure the wipers will operate. So I may have it replaced in October.

As a side note, I first heard the noise when I was returning from Quebec. I shut off the wipers and at highway speed with the sharp rake of the windshield the water just wisked off and I really didn't even need the wipers. However, at slower speeds the windshield does get a little tougher to see through.

9. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    The motor is a Denso 159200. The motor itself is really common but you need to make sure it has the correct electrics and gearing. The correct one for the 612 is either a 159200-7630 or 159200-8000 which is the same one as used on the 458. There may be others but I have tested both of these and they are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

599_GTO and Nospinzone like this.
  10. montegoblue

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Thank you Ian — any idea of how to get to the motor to check it out ? Sorry no manual here and pretty mechanically challenged

11. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    I dunno guys, if it works on auto until it didn’t,and it worked on manual before that but mysteriously quit, sounds more like whatever controls the motor than the motor.Unless the controller is embedded in the motor, which I don’t know, you might want to get another opinion .
    I don’t know how this is wired up , but it seems that you should be able to disconnect the connector and apply 12volts to the motor by some sort of jump wire before you pull it to see if it moves.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

So let me get this straight, you drive your car in the rain??

LOL

montegoblue likes this.
  13. nickmaris

nickmaris Rookie

Nov 1, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    nick maris
    Mine became noisy (2008 599) at about 40,000 miles, then failed within a 1000 miles or so. Followed by the electronic control unit (under the pax seat). Both replaced at ferrari prices but the control unit was only around 140 use)