Ceramic Coating | FerrariChat

Ceramic Coating

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Chizz, Jun 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    First...Advice..Be careful about where you park your car. And I don’t mean what you are thinking. “Avoid all of the other cars and park far out in the lot”. (Even thought there is always some butthead that parks his pickup truck right by you for no reason other than being a butthead).
    What I mean is while you are parking your car 2 miles out be careful that you don’t park near irrigation heads for landscaping. If they use reuse or hard water it will stain your paint or film. I had to take my car to a Detailer who took car of it. While I was there I had a very experienced guy do a ceramic coating. It came out great. I mean it looks awesome!! And what’s better.... no more waxing. Just a gentle wash and it gleams.
    Cost me $950.
    Thought I’d share.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    No pictures?!?
    T

3. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    RSQP, BOKE, SCJ264 and 2 others like this.
  4. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
  5. Tessy

Tessy Rookie

Jan 27, 2019
    NIceville, Florida
    Chizz and tomc like this.
  6. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    RSQP, BOKE, SCJ264 and 1 other person like this.
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The like button will not cut it. This needs the "heck yeah" button. Very nice...T

Nospinzone, Fireman1291 and Chizz like this.
  8. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    We have the Feynlab Self Healing coating on our Cali T and R8 GT Spyder, both black (after a week of paint correction on each because both were a mess). After a year I still just use a leaf blower to dry both cars in a matter of minutes. If you get little swirls or scratches, you park in the hot sun for a day and they disappear. Great stuff.

Chizz likes this.
  9. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg
    I've ordered a new Portofino which will be delivered in 2020, the wait is terrible.

I have plenty of time to think about the things I will do when it gets delivered and one of them is applying a ceramic coating to it, however my knowledge about this topic is next to zero.

Could I get some recommendation from you, wise ones, on the types of ceramic coatings available and which is best, or what the differences between them are?.

Thanks,

10. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Congrats on the Porto order!!! My recommendation to you is this... depending on where you live ask some guys here on the forum who they use or research your area. Your dealership detail guys will know some good shops around you. My point is don’t buy the product buy the Detailer. most of the ceramic coatings out there are similar. The key is how well they are applied. I have PPF on the front and a ceramic coating on everything. The coatings differ mainly on the life span of the protection. I think they go up to 10 years. I have a 5 year coating on mine.
    The Detailer will correct your paint then apply the coating. Which protects and negates the need to wax your car. I mostly do a gentle wash then air dry the car with a leaf blower then I use a “coating booster” polish. And the result is amazing. Looks wet!!!!
    It will need paint correction coming from the factory.
    Any further questions let me know!

JotaEle likes this.
  11. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg
    Excellent advice... thank you very much. So in the end, every product available out there in the ceramic coating department is essentially indistinguishable since I presume the formula is the same one?.

Good to know!

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Chizz is dead on. Don't go for the B team just to save a few bucks. I got my 911 (hood and fenders) and Cali (doors and rear quarter panels; front, hood, fenders and mirrors were done by previous owner) done through Boardwalk Ferrari. They subbed it out to a high end shop. Totally happy. The Porsche PPF had a little air bubble that only my wife could see. BF had it taken care of, no questions asked, at no additional cost. Definitely talk to folks in your area and find out who the go-to people are.

For ceramic coating, maybe start a thread in detailing forum. Those guys are serious about it.

T

JotaEle and Chizz like this.
  13. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    What Chizz said X2. A gentle wash and a leaf blower and I can wash my R8 in about 15 minutes. Perfectly. The Cali T is bigger and takes juuuuust a little longer. Each car cost about $3k to do, but has been SO worth it. The critical element is the skill of the correction and the application. Don't go cheap, go quality.

Chizz likes this.
  14. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Guys as you know or might find out, the "slickness" ... the "freshly waxed feeling" might fade a tad over 6 months. The Ceramic is still on there, UV protection intact, and water still beads off just fine but you need to maintain the coating. Now usually your shop that applied it will do an annual maintenance on it. This consists of a wash and application of a quick spray on ceramic to rejuvenate the coating. What I'm here to pass on is, don't wait and just do it once every 10 washes or so yourself. The product I'm about to recommend you is THE BEST quick sealant I've ever used and I've used thousands of dollars worth over the years. It's made to work with ceramic coatings and HOLY CRAP the gloss, depth and shine that layered on TOP of the already amazing ceramic coating was mind blowing.

The product was very easy to use. Spray onto a microfiber, wipe onto the paint in small sections, don't let dry, buff off with a separate microfiber. Thats it. You can do the windows, paint, everything, and it wont even damage plastic or cause hazing. My iPhone camera doesn't even get close to capturing the depth you see in person. And the slickness? Better than day one!

This is it. I barely used any of it and did the entire car.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9A0AC8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It says you can do it with the car wet but doing it dry gives better control over high and low spots. The product is super easy to use and no I don't have a connection with the manufacturer or anything, I just know how some of us are and wanted to share. This stuff rocks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc, jffacey and Chizz like this.
  15. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Fantastic results there! I too use a sealer by Blackfire. However, I apply after every wash. I am going to try yours. Well done! Thanks for the recommendation

16. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Fireman1291 likes this.
  17. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Right! It was one of those epiphany moments ... "I've finally found it, the perfect product, after all these years"

My detailer buddy was over helping me unfu*k a bad day I had while driving the Cali at the beach (huge rain puddle filled with salt water, splash all over car, dry in sun for 24hrs while I was at a rental) and when we were done using this product (after a acid wash for the water spots) he was so amazed I gave him my bottle and just ordered another. I just used it on my stand up paddle boards and the water just beads off.

18. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Reload is a good product although there is a lot of chemistry involved so I'd pick a product compatible and recommended by your coating manufacturer. I agree that self maintenance is easy and yields constantly excellent results. I use a Feynlab product to "recharge" about every three months. Super easy to apply. Results are consistently epic.

timjen88 and Fireman1291 like this.
  19. SCJ264

SCJ264 Rookie

Jul 4, 2019
    East Coast USA
    Full Name:
    Stephen Jehle
    Friend, the wait is tough! I ordered mine in August 2018 and it arrives in about 2 more weeks!!! Now all the pics come in from the factory as they finished it and I am like a school kid on christmas eve! It's a fun journey though, enjoy!!

14RE458 and Chizz like this.
  20. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Let’s hear about it!!! Color, specs, pics etc...

21. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    tomc likes this.
  22. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Beauty!! Well done my friend!

23. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Looks great! The metallic Nero is easier to maintain as well! Very nice!

24. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Ok folks it’s official this s**t is serious stuff!!! I ordered some and my car looks unbelievable! Fireman if I ever meet you dinner and drinks on me!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Fireman1291 likes this.
  25. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Dude, yes!!! I told you! It layers on the ceramic coating in ways I thought were achievable!

Here is mine after one wash since Reload. So base is a paint correction and Ceramic Pro 9H, then one quick polish of Reload months later, and a week later I washed with my spot free resin system and dried with an electric blower. The F*CKING depth and shine is out of this world. Ferrari Palm Beach came to pick up my car for service the other day and when we saw the side of the car at eye level we both started laughing at the shine. Look at the reflections. Insane.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Chizz likes this.