355 - Cam phase sensor malfunction | Page 21 | FerrariChat

355 Cam phase sensor malfunction

Discussion in '348/355' started by taz355, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hurry up Grant! I want to win this thread so you gotta fix this before we get to 21 pages or I loose.

Beetle likes this.
  2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Not sure which ground ground circuits you mean.
    I checked the gro7nd wires to chasis ground but you probably read that.

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I was being conservative because i was using my old analog dvo meter and the paralax would be more that 0.1.
    Does it really matter that i got less than 1 ohm or should i go get my expensive fluke from my shop so I can be precise?
    I did not think it really mattered but what the hell do I know.

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Are you still thinking spark plugs but since bank 1 is good now bank 2 is out. This process has dragged on too long and I am getting confused?

I can not imagine the immobilizer has anything to do with it..

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #505 Qavion, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Regarding the less than one ohm value. Grant seems to have cleaned all the important grounds relevant to engine management. Diagnostic Sheet 22, if I recall correctly, asks you to check the resistance from certain ECU pins to earth, so it's quite a long path back to the ohmmeter, especially as there are no good earths near the ECU.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    By logic, we ruled out the crank sensor... but we are still changing it ;) At this point, I don't think we can rule out anything )))

Beetle likes this.
  7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I am trying, likely wont fix it but as you suggested just throw new parts at it so my crank sensor will be here to tomorrow.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Grant, here are your latest diagrams.

Grant's 1998 5.2 Injection/Ignition System Wiring Diagram

I've shifted the start relay to the other side of the passenger relay panel. However, until I know what wire colours/sizes are attached to your start relay, I can't be sure if this is correct.

Grant's 1998_F355_F1_5.2_Engine_Control_System Wiring Diagram

I've added a dual potentiometer Throttle Position Sensor (with the F1 TCU pins marked) as it's an F1 car. I'm not sure if the TCU potentiometer is on the right or the left of the engine management potentiometer.

9. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Grant,
    These are the grounds I'm talking about doing a voltage drop on.

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Is there special glasses i need to see them.
    Ha ha

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Oh I get it

12. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Be super careful with installing that new crank angle sensor in regards to airgap mate.

13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes I read your thread.

I will be check it with my feeler gauges and installing the shim.

Beetle likes this.
  14. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Any luck sorting this issue out yet!!

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    No
    Installed new crank sensor last night have not had time to do much else. Did try to start car and car ran for a few seconds.
    Enough that the leonardo recorded 200 rpm and a sensor malfunction. I will have too double check but i think it called it a revolution sensor.

Will get back to the gang on sunday with a proper update.

16. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    One of the guys on here if think rifledriver help me with a bit of information and I think the crank ref needs to see 350 rpm min on cranking. Don't hold me to that but I'm pretty sure.

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The revolution sensor is the crank sensor. I wonder if you have a crank sensor wiring problem?

For reference, ECU pins 20 and 78. The ECU processes the signal and sends it to the F1 system (via the 4 pin F1 interface connector) and to the tachometer (via plug 41091) from ECU pin 80.

taz355 and Beetle like this.
  18. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Spot on Ian. Wondering my self if the issue lies somewhere else hence my comments. I've got rid of my problem but I'm sure there is something more to Grants issue!!! As always I hope to be proven wrong and it's a simple fix

19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I talked with my good friend Dave and it seems his sd also shows an error for the crank sensor until you start to crank it over and then the error goes away and it gives an rpm.

Which 4 pins connector is the f1 .

Is it by the main ecu plug behind the passengers seat??

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Yes.... Unless you have a right hand drive car ;)

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Just wondering if the engine won't start with that plug disconnected. The F1 system doesn't get engine rpms if that plug isn't connected. Not sure what other data is on that line.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I was given a sneak preview of a genuine 5.2 Ferrari wiring diagram yesterday and noticed that the CEL and SD light wires on the 14 pin plug near the ECU were swapped over (compared to my diagram and my Aussie car). i.e. pin 2 & 7. My car has a US-based Motronics system, so I can't explain the variation (other than a mistake by Ferrari). If you're still looking in that area, Grant, would you be able to check your car please?

Fig11_1998_F355_F1_5.2_Engine_Control_System

I've re-labelled that plug to "41052" (as per the diagram I saw)

taz355 likes this.
  23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes i will Ian. Likely this weekend if my back gets better. Been on the mend for a week and am not tackling this car thing again until i can dedicate atleast 4 hours.

24. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just an update for fbb, john, and the rest of you. I was just busting johns balls my car runs but not very good yet.
    Its not fixed, but being the optimist it will be once i can dedicate some time to it.
    Sorry for the confusion but you guys all should know i would not do that too you. Will post asap when i have some answers.

I amopen to a check list from start to finish of how i should check it out though. It would be nice just to have one list.

Beetle likes this.
  25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think we need to look at our basics again. You say you have no spark on 2 cylinders on the LH bank now. We know the engine should run even with four cylinders not working, so there must be more than a 2-cylinder spark problem. There may be a weak spark generally (due to low volts to the ignition system) or something completely different.

When you did the power bypass directly to the coilpacks, did you do it on both sides? The coilpacks do share a common source of power within the footwell relay panel.
    That source also powers the alternator regulator. I can't remember if you overhauled your alternator recently (?).The same power source also feeds the AC System fuse. The AC system fuse powers dozens of different things (including instruments). You could try starting the car with the fuse pulled, but I'm not entirely sure your car, especially an F1, would run without it. Try anyway :p