new here, thinking of buying F430 | FerrariChat

new here, thinking of buying F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by Purch23, Jul 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hello all. I've recently begun window shopping for an F430 spider and came across this site. I'd by lying if I said the trepidation of buying a Ferrari isn't compounding reading about issues you guys have with jealous neighbors, constant maintenance and upkeep, etc.

Any advice for first time buyer? I drove a 488 in Vegas and fell in love but the 430 is more my price range.

2. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    If you buy from a reputable dealer and get a cpo you will be a very happy guy.

f355spider, Purch23 and VAF84 like this.
  3. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    The 2008/9 have the most updates plus carbon ceramic brakes that in my opinion if you’re not tracking the car are a big plus. It’s an amazing car especially for the money.

List of changes by model year:

57596 2005 New Motonic ECUs
    58098 New water and oil pump
    58225 New 3 pedal gearbox control cables
    60178 New airbag steering wheel assembly
    89099 New engine crankcase
    61537 New ABS/ASR ECU
    61555 Wiring harness changes
    61589 2006 New F1 hardware and F1 pump Black pump (upgraded)
    61702 New E-Diff pack
    64274 New exhaust pipe
    64741 New CCM rotors
    65161 New air/oil separator
    65254 New fuel lid actuator and back-up cable
    66454 149225 New Digitek F1 interior F1 control panel and upholstery replacing Jaeger control panel
    67395 New fuel pump support cover
    67866 New sun visors
    67971 New injector cables
    67971 New ignition coils (8 replacing 4L/4R)
    68251 New F&R, steel and CCM brake calipers
    68691 Wiring harness changes
    69347 New F1 hardware and F1 pump
    97707 New starter motor bracket
    97781 New camshafts
    69639 2007 New injector cables
    69639 Wiring harness changes
    69678 New Motonic ECUs
    70937 Window ECU
    71274 99608 New heads, valve seats Challenge (used in Scuderia) minus porting
    71274 99608 New injector assembly Challenge (used in Scuderia) long tip injector to suit revised manifolds
    71274 99608 New intake manifolds, covers, gaskets Challenge (used in Scuderia)
    146597 New Stereo/GPS Later Becker Cascade
    71979 Wiring harness changes
    72472 New engine crankcase
    73460 New Motonic ECUs
    74274 "09/2007 >
    (MY08)" New outside rearview mirror Slight shape change, and 'F430' moved to drivers side (UK)
    74454 New hinges
    74457 157672 New exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters serial number Mk2' manifolds
    74557 157672 New F1 and 3 pedal clutch hoses, connectors, shields, gaskets, sensors
    74557 157672 F1 ECU/TCU changes non-USA, Gearbox Numbers 3270, 3629, 3781 CFC301 TCU: 'Auto Easy Exit', additional clutch pres. sensor, wiring & Motronic changes.
    74557 157672 New acceleration sensors
    New ignition coils Scuderia/458 push-in type
    Seat trim Central panel stitching detail change on regular seats (non Daytona)
    74558 New gas struts for fornt and rear lids
    74571 New hood/bonnet
    74672 New front compartment trim Plastic trim covering luggage compartment reveal.
    74920 New door frames and locks Removal of passenger door lock. Latch trim visibly different.
    75200 New 3 pedal clutch throw-out bearing
    116247 New engine crankcase

Techhawk, kiryu, Tarek307 and 3 others like this.
  4. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
  5. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    The steering wheel was an unfortunate decision;(

f355spider likes this.
  6. FerrariAspiration

Oct 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I am in the market and considered this one as well. I ended up going w/a 2008 CPO version from a dealer. (In the final stages now) This one is a good bit less expensive than what I paid, but the color combination, carbon ceramic brakes, pretty extensive option list, & 100% stock ended up being the difference. Love the challenge rims too. It's an absolute must to get a PPI in my opinion. So many great comments and support from the folks here, I am very grateful for their words of wisdom during my search. Best of luck...

f355spider likes this.
  7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #7 f355spider, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Non factory steering wheel (not a fan of the alcantara with contrasting white perforations). Non factory stereo, non factory shift paddles, non factory floor mats, non factory exhaust (though I like Kline ;) ), accident history, missing key (replacement keys are $1100 (really!) don't see immobilizer code key. I don't see evidence of the factory car cover, seat covers, or battery maintainer. If he has the original radio, does he have the code card, removal tools? Questions: what was the extent of the accident? Proof of repairs? Does he have any of the original factory parts that have been removed? (radio, mats, exhaust, shift paddles, original steering wheel (the original may have been modded to the current look). I only bring up the non original changes, because if you intend to show the car in a official Ferrari Club of America concours, these would all be deductions, making the car non competitive. For others, this is not a concern. I only bring this up, because if you decide later you want to make the car more original, it will cost a fortune to find and install these parts. Many paid the price later. The point is, original cars are valued more, and retain that value.

I see little mention of service history other than a clutch and tires in 2017. I would want to see the receipts for that, and who did the clutch, and what parts were replaced

8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You are taking the safer (though obviously more expensive route), but I think you will sleep better at night, and rest assured of good dealer support.

FerrariAspiration likes this.
  9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    jump in, the water is warm !

f355spider likes this.
  10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Also no mention or picture of the factory tool kit

11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie

Take some time to read this section and look at similar 430 buying threads - somehow no-one yet has mentioned exhaust manifolds for example

f355spider likes this.
  12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Of course, there are a ton more things to cover...that really should be part of a PPI. To include which manifolds are on the car, MK1, MK2 (and have them been smoke checked for leaks?) Or are they aftermarket? Brake pad thickness? Clutch read out on SD3? Does everything think work? Horn, lights, wipers, door locks, windshield washer, etc. I also notice it has added LED floor lights...that can be concerning, depending greatly on the quality of installation of the wiring. Agree, the OP should simply search the archives, as this subject comes up repeatedly each month and there are plenty of reading already available. ;)

13. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    In all due respect, I think purchasing a car off of Ebay is nutty...I would wait and locate a car you can see in person and have PPI'd. I just bought my '07 F430 Spider in February Nero with black inside, contrast stitching F1, CCB's, ball polished wheels, shields, carbon fiber rear grill, 19K miles Paid 106K after a perfect PPI this car is no bargain

I would stay away as others have mentioned

timjen88, Themaven and Tamahal like this.
  14. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Totally totally agree

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks everyone for the comments.

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    As they say, the most expensive Ferrari is a cheap Ferrari. Buy a good one from a respected dealer, with proper history and inspection, and you increase your chances of joy considerably.

I bought a Ferrari from auction once, and a "bargain" Ferrari another time, and they are the two most expensive cars I have ever owned. Luckily I was saved by price rises which meant I sold them well, but these aren't happening any more. The two Ferraris, including my 430 Spider, I bought from good dealers were not bargains, just fair price, and they have been superb.

Of course any car can go wrong, but that Ebay one already looks wrong.

Men are drawn to saving fallen Ferraris like women are drawn to reforming bad men. Neither ends up well usually.

f355spider likes this.
  17. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There are plenty of great cars on Ebay, this just happens to not be one of them. One can purchase off Ebay, but you do the same things you would do in any other car transaction, ask questions, look the car over in person, have it inspected, look up the reputation of the seller.

whatheheck and Themaven like this.
  18. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    I would take Cole's advice above, stay away from eBay cars. But hindsight being 20-20 I did not. Car came up on eBay at a high price, did not buy it. Came up a year later, bought at a much lower price. Knew the car would need work and paid the price.
    For you I would recommend you have a PPI done on any Ferrari you are looking at, and have it done by some one who has been working on Ferrari for 10+ or 20+ years. Look at the records for the car. The more that are available the better. Records show you who owned it and how they took car of the car. No records probably means they found out how much it cost to maintain the car, and did not maintain it. If you buy the car you will probably end up footing the bill for their lack of maintenance. What ever you pay for the car have an extra $ 10K in your back pocket to pay for surprises you will get. Make sure you have the three FOBs for the car, replacement is not cheap. Make sure you have the four digit code for the car. There is probably other stuff which I can not remember.

Buy the best car you can afford.

I can only say this for me, but I bet others will say the same thing. No matter what you pay for the car, or what it cost to maintain it, that fades to the back of your mind when you get into the car, start it, listen to it, and drive off. Then you think, I'M DRIVING MY FERRARI. Nothing beats that feeling.

Good luck with you hunt.

Chuck

Tamahal likes this.
  19. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Totally agree

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for your comments.

I've driven a Ferrari. The funny thing is that I wasn't that excited about it until I got behind the wheel. I couldn't believe what a super car it was. I still have dreams about it. So here I am, about to buy my own.

Thanks!

21. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Here’s my advice (from a long-time 308 QV and recent 360 owner)...

First, don’t be afraid. Both my cars were/are a pleasure to own and drive. Nothing beats a Ferrari. They are sexy and rare and exciting. A bit like a high
    -maintenance hot girlfriend; takes some time and money, but well worth the effort.

Having said that, there’s a world of difference between a well maintained car and one that has deferred maintenance. Things like timing/cam/belts/bearings, clutches, etc. matter. You can spend $10s of thousands trying fix past screw-ups (if they are fixable at all). Other things (like brakes/pads/rotors, etc.) don’t matter as much and be “caught-up” to spec with next replacement.

So...do it. Just do your best to seek out a car with a good history. May not be the cheapest car, or it may be a car with more miles.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i would also suggest buying one from an fchatter.
    an fchatter car has usually been well cared for, sorted, and maintained.
    furthermore, fchat membership tends to keep people very honest about their cars since you can always come back on here and expose any chicanery.

the other thing is, do not get hung up about color choices or mileage. this wont be your last ferrari.
    buy a sorted car from a fellow enthusiast, drive it a lot, get into the ferrari groove, and enjoy yourself.

23. brian0473

brian0473 Karting

Mar 14, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I’ve owned two Ferrari’s. Bought both from this site. It’s nice to be able to see their history of posts and they’re typically “Ferrari guys” or they wouldn’t be here.
    So far so good..

24. Purch23

Purch23 Karting

Jul 2, 2019
    CT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks all.