Porsche Taycan | FerrariChat

Porsche Taycan

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Carnut, Jun 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have tried hybrid (the i8) and I could never figure out exactly what it was. Plus there was not much you could really do to it, which sort takes the fun out of it, at least for me. I did get a call last week about getting a Taycan, and though I have stayed away from Electric cars in the past, I think I am going to buy one. Is anyone else here considering one?

2. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    I would wait for the production version of the Mission E Cross Turismo, especially in PA.

3. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Porsche is saying lots of good thing about it, but I'm going to wait until production versions are actually in customer hands before making a decision. Lots of unknowns about it still that could really make or brake the car.

It also irritates me that the only reason Porsche/VW is building a charging network is because they were forced to by the Dieselgate settlement. That doesn't bode well for them supporting it or continuing its expansion.

4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Put in my reservation 3 months ago; looking forward to mid 2020 delivery.......Audi e-Tron coming in the meantime(August).....lusting after the Taycan Turismo, but I may get old(er) before it arrives.....

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I put my deposit down some time ago when it was the Mission E, as the production version of the Taycan comes closer to a reality I am questioning my call as to actually pull the trigger on the purchase. I will likely wait until I can actually view one in person. There is a Taycan forum where there is a plethora of information although much is sheer speculation along with the most current spy photos with much of the camo removed but it is still pretty hard to get a real handle on the cars looks.
    There are going to be three levels of trim so there may be a difference appearance wise among the different trim levels? I am hopeful it comes close to the Mission E concept as possible but there are already many changes from the concept vehicle.:confused:

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Confusing names for the Taycan.
    3 models coming with different power outputs:
    Taycan
    Taycan S
    Taycan Turbo

Really? Electric car called "Turbo" ??
    I understand their reasoning, "Turbo" is Porsche's synonym of most powerful version but I think that's really pushing it.

7. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    not a fan of buying first year production models, but it sure looks cool.

Been getting lots of emails from my Porsche dealer.

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The Mission E looks cool. On the Taycan, the dramatic styling has been significantly toned down - no suicide doors, there is a B pillar, there will be outside mirrors, doesn't appear to be as wide and low, etc. So to me, it is starting to look like a restyled electric Pano, thus my reserve on whether I will pull the trigger on my deposit. I am more interested the full on “Turbo” which may carry more Mission E concept styling and will certainly have the most power and range?

I to wonder about the designation “Turbo”, I would have thought for an EV they would have come up with a better descriptive name for the most powerful version say – “Lightening”, “Flash”, or whatever more in the electric vain for a EV.:rolleyes:

9. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    I'm looking forward to talking to my local Porsche dealer this weekend to put a deposit on one. No idea what they will want or if they will have allocation. I should be well informed by next week.

10. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As a Panamera owner I’m really looking forward to seeing and driving this car. It seems like it might be the perfect car to get when I’m done with this one.

11. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I am also very excited about this car. Going to schedule a 90 minute driving session with PEC Atlanta when they obtain a Taycan.

I did this with a GT3 before I purchased my car. It's a wonderful way to really experience the car to make sure you get a good idea of what cars are like before you commit to purchasing.

PEC's really let you drive the snot out of their cars.

12. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
  13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Dealer texted me photo of the Turbo S that came in, I am going to drive it Saturday morning. I have already built my car and they have my spec. If I like it I am placing my order.

jim g likes this.
  14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Realizing that you have an assortment of cars already. What are your motivators to get a Taycan? I have a deposit down on one for over 2 years as I really liked the Mission E and the range promises which were made at the time. Now I am having second thoughts on pulling the trigger.

My concerns are lack of range (310 miles/500 km promised w/Mission E) - now likely 240 miles converts to 201 miles in actually daily use, the Taycan would be my DD. Price seems pretty high (relative to the Tesla Model S), the Turbo S, I priced out for myself was about $205k plus tax/license. The Turbo with all the S options but w/o the extra boost for (really only launch control) seemed the way to go as it was about $177k plus tax/license. Also, the infrastructure is not really very robust in my area and I am not so sure I want to put up with the additional hassle for charging. Then my wife is having back problems and I don't really need another low car (already have 4 low cars) she will have trouble getting jn/out.

My dealer is going to call me when they have one in to do a test drive which could be anytime this December.

I will be very interested in hearing your thoughts a test drive. Keep us informed.

15. GOODYES

GOODYES Karting

Oct 7, 2017
    Barcelona, Spain (España)
    Full Name:
    Alejandro
    I Dont like electric cars, I dont like porsche, all time with sane model, thats not innovation, all years the same with years updates, but nothing more. Not worth the money they ask, my opinion
    I like the Ferraris, Lambos and similar, I dont like bmw, aston martin or audi, cause they are same as porsche, no new models just refreshes.

I heard the sound of the Taycan, they use a woofer and a file mo3 sound to play sound. Really you want to spent that money on this ? sorry me no. Also the natural electric sound is horrrible no, next to to horrible

16. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Porsche Taycan or Porsche 911? (No-English subtitleo_O)

17. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    #17 Astrid.Didier, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Is the Porsche Taycan the World Car of the Year?

18. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Why are you in the Porsche section of FChat if you don't like Porsche. Some of their models aren't quite so sane, like the 935. They are innovative and are more than the same with years updates. They are worth the money they ask. bmw, Aston Martin or Audi aren't the same as Porsche. The X2, DB11, and e-tron are new models, not refreshes. I don't want to spend money on sound but look at the amount of aftermarket exhaust companies out there.

19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    :D Interesting thought: can the ICE aftermarket exhaust makers come up with "sounds" for an EV? Or will they lose the market to some electronics aftermarket company who already knows sound file creation?
    Soon to be available from the AppStore? Google Play?

20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Why would you add an ICE exhaust sound to an EV or any sound which would be a total fraud. To me that is just not cool at all.

21. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I just drove it today and its out of this world!! WOW WOW WOW...Drove the Turbo S model..i've driven a Tesla before, but this is on another level!!!

Attached Files:

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I decided electric is just not for me, but it looks like I found a great (I do like deals) deal or an executive demo new/used Panamera turbo with under 5000 miles. There still maybe Porsche #44

23. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Misunderstand much?:rolleyes:
    Said nothing about adding ICE-sound; and all EV's will require "audible sounds" (soon, if not already).
    Think out of the box for a bit: if sound is required, what might it be? And who will create/market it? Typical exhaust mfr, or game maker, or recording artist......or?
    Assuming "the sound of silence" is not an option, what sound would you want?
    Ferrari V12 scream........jet......rocket.....whoosh......clip clop hooves......Beethoven.......Jimi Hendricks.......other?

24. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Any other Porsche owner the letter offering $11k off the 2020 911?

25. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy

OK OK I misunderstood you. :)
    How about the clip clop of hooves to temper the NEW tech stuff and add a different perspective? :D

tritone and of2worlds like this.