Dreaded ECU Warning Light | FerrariChat

Dreaded ECU Warning Light

Discussion in '612/599' started by clonmeliw, Jul 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    So I went out for a drive in the 612 this evening - nothing special, just a little "me" time - and the ECU failure warning light telling me to go to the dealer came on about a mile out while doing some 6/10 cornering around a cloverleaf. There was no noticeable degradation or stumble in performance, just the damn light. I've read a few threads and hoped that shutting it off and restarting might reboot the system but I'm still getting the light and engine pictogram. The dealership is 240 miles away - any suggestions? This'll definitely have a chilling effect on leisure drives until it's resolved.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Just shut her down and restart and see if that fixes the problem. When you do make it to a dealer, have them check for codes and see if there is a real problem. You can also do a battery cut-off to reset everything, but that is more involved and may erase codes the dealer will want to find later.

3. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Thanks Terry - figured I'd hear from you! I had checked some of the old threads on the subject before posting and opinions seemed to range from fuel sensor failure to a loose gas cap (not the case here) to just a Ferrari "thing" that might resolve itself but would come back for an occasional visit like an old friend. I'm a little concerned about the battery cut-off solution because 1. the battery placement intimidates me 2. if I get it wrong, the car is immobile and it becomes a VERY big deal, and 3. the forum is full of anecdotes where windows stopped working, dash electronics went down, and miscellaneous electronic gremlins surfaced. It's drivable at the moment but that engine pictogram is a major distraction and stressor. If there's any substance to the fuel sensor theory, it is entirely possible that mildly punching it on the ramp caused some kind of a fuel transfer issue. I'll see how she acts this morning and top off the tank. If that doesn't work do you think it's the kind of thing a local indy could handle or am I in for a drive to Boardwalk or Norwood?

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jeff- A competent indy with an SD3 or Leonardo can probably handle it. Boardwalk is a good group, my car came from there, and will have access to any parts if she needs them.

Resets do cause some temporary problems, but those are usually short-lived. Many techs say that is really a maintenance procedure for after the diagnostic tool work has been done.

Did not know there were no Ferrari dealers in OK, but then there are none in Albuquerque or NM, either, and all the work on my car is done by really competent independents here using the Auto Enginuity tool.

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    All good suggestions above, but honestly there are hundreds of codes that could be behind the MIL light. Spend $10 on a cheapo code reader and you’ll at least have a starter for 10 for what the issue actually is.

Motorama likes this.
  6. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Aftermath...turned out the CEL was an ambient temperature sensor. Terrific local indy shop (shoutout to RS Autohaus) read it and cleared it and I was back on my way in 15 minutes. Three miles later, I had a power steering hose burst so back I went - if it has to happen, that's probably the best you could hope for. Three hours and 135 bucks later I was on my way and they even fixed an intermittent door rattle unbidden. SO glad it didn't happen on a road trip - I think I dodged a bullet and they'll definitely be doing my next annual!

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those low pressure power steering hoses are a definite weak point on our generation V12s.