348 windows roll down automatically | FerrariChat

348 windows roll down automatically

Discussion in '348/355' started by Archduke, Jul 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Archduke

Archduke Rookie

Sep 13, 2004
    raleigh nc
    Full Name:
    Kevin Allen
    '94 348 Spider....with key in ignition I am able to roll the windows completely to the "up" position. When I remove the key from the ignition the windows roll down about 1.5" on their own. This is with the top in the UP position (I have not tried to see what happens when top is down).

I'd like to be able to park the car with the windows completely UP but I'm not able - any insight is appreciated!

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Does the 348 spider have a microswitch on the top of the windshield frame (where the left guide pin hole is) which triggers the window drop like the F355 spider? All I can think of is that that switch is faulty or the window controller is faulty, but why it would only do it with the ignition off, I don't know.

Unfortunately, I don't have a wiring diagram for the spider.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Assuming the cars are the same, if you can access the plug on that microswitch and create a jumper wire, that should lock out window movement when the roof is unlatched (wind your windows down beforehand if you want the top down). This might allow you to at least park the car.
    If the problem still continues, then you'll have to look elsewhere.

Does the 348 have a switch on roof mechanism to tell the window controller that the roof is fully down (and that normal window control can resume)?

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It would help if the original poster filler out his profile. ;)

5. Archduke

Archduke Rookie

Sep 13, 2004
    raleigh nc
    Full Name:
    Kevin Allen
    Done!

ernie and Qavion like this.
  6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #7 Qavion, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    It was the other one I was looking for:

Item #36 in this diagram

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/348-group/348/roof-trims-valid-for-gts-and-spider.html

This will control the initial window drop. The windows stop moving down when they hit the microswitches in the doors.. i.e. #50 in this diagram:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/348-group/348/doors-glass-lifting-device.html

Thereafter, window control will be frozen by the Window ECU until the folding roof frame hits that back microswitch in the first diagram (#49)

Here's the flow sequence:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I've marked the switch numbers on the diagram.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The F348 Window ECU has the same part number as the F355's. If shorting out that switch doesn't help, then if you're adventurous, you could open up the window ECU and see if there is anything obviously broken. Some of the parts will be easy to find

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #9 Qavion, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    For reference, all 4 switches input into the small white 8-pin plug on the ECU (see left side of circuit board in photograph above).

The car connector pinout is as follows:
    1. top unlatched switch
    2. top fully down switch
    3. driver's window down 5cm switch
    4. passenger's window down 5cm switch
    5. top unlatched switch earth
    6. top fully down switch earth
    7. driver's window down 5cm switch earth
    8. passenger's window down 5cm switch earth

In theory (haven't tried it on my car), if you disconnected the 8 pin plug from the ECU, you would simulate top unlatched, top fully down, windows fully up. This might give you full manual control. Pull the plug, turn on the ignition, wind the windows up, turn off the ignition.
    If it works, it's only a temporary measure, of course.

Note: After you've pulled the plug, don't damage your windows by trying to drop the top with your windows fully up.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Seems I don't know my left from my right. I meant the right hand side.

It may not be clear from the parts manuals where the ECU is. On the F355, it's under the dash, between the centre console and the pedal box (at least on RHD cars). I assume it's the same on the 348 Spider.