355 Spider value question | FerrariChat

355 Spider value question

Discussion in '348/355' started by azfast1, Jul 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    I know this is a loaded question, with many different answers,, but what is fair market value of a 1997 355 Spider, 17k miles,6 speed, red/tan, mint condition, all original including paint, recent service, needs nothing, 2nd owner. any ideas? Contemplating buying it but asking prices seem all over the place!
    Thanks for your input

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Headers valve guides ?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    My 1997 355 spider has 44,000 miles on it.
    In the last two years (engine out service last year) I have talked to my Indy mechanic and the local dealer.
    Both said if you have not had any issues at this point you are safe.
    Service records indicate valve guides have not been replaced/repaired.
    Fabspeed headers, Nouvalari cats and exhaust installed by prior owner.
    Value may depend on your location.
    Your profile indicates you have owned two 355s prior to this, so your estimate should be accurate.

4. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    The last 355 I owned was the new 355 Fiorano edition I bought new in 1999, a long time ago!
    I have read about valve guides going bad as well as exhaust manifolds. Any idea what the reason for failure is? Too hot?
    Thanks for the input!

5. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    There are people on here much more knowledgeable about both subjects.
    The valve guides I think come down to build date/number if I recall.
    Before that date .....bad, after they are ok, I think mine fall into the bad build number but I have zero issues.
    I think it was based on the metal used on the guides ?
    I think a lot of the stock exhaust manifolds cracked, and somehow affected one of the cylinders (#2 possibly).
    This may have been a major issue, I believe most people run after market exhaust systems on the 355.

6. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Headers, valve guides, current service status and records will determine the price.

That's why you see pricing all over the place.

Valve guides were supposed to be a cut at a certain S/N but never actually was and as a result is a complete crap shoot.
    Our exiled friend Dave had that detail at one point,
    Most cars that have miles on them have had the valve guides replaced due to necessity
    Early cars were covered under warranty so this 1995 may have been. Any records?

The exhaust headers are just a matter of time.
    A smoke test will tell that tale.

What is the value / sell price? Who knows.
    Have some pictures of said car?

7. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    This is a 97 and I do not have any photos to share at this time, but it looks like every other red/tan car out there! The only thing I need to see is the date code on the tires still.
    Thanks

8. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    What your mechanic is telling you about your valve guides is correct. (At least in my opinion) I feel that the guides were installed incorrectly (on some cars) and made of soft bronze. The incorrect installation causes the guides to wear prematurely and the fact they were bronze only made them wear even sooner. So on cars that were lucky enough to have them installed correctly at the factory, they don't have issues. But will they last forever??

9. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I have heard smoke on start up is an early indicator of valve issues ?
    At 44,000 miles I am still smokeless ;)
    I also drive my car weekly, if at all possible.
    It never goes more than 10 days without being started and warmed up.

10. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Sorry. '97. Still has potential for valve guide issues.

Well, if you are down to date codes on tires....pretty much done.

11. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    New tires last year, wearing them out as fast as I can ;)

WATSON likes this.
  12. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Smoke at startup can also mean the valve seals are leaking by. It is also thought by some here that valve seal leaks can cause carbon buildup on the valves causing poor compression/leakdown numbers. I support that theory. I would not be one to do a comp/lkdn test and go right to ripping the heads off. I would first run some top engine cleaner through it and give it an italian tuneup then recheck the numbers. And like you, I always run my car every other week or so just to keep everything good and wet.
    But I must say I do wonder how many unnecessary dollars have been spent on these cars doing service work just by rush-judgement, because it is a Ferrari. I believe a lot of that is because customers don't have many options for a second opinion because for a lot of areas there just aren't many exotic car repair facilities, so they "just take it to the dealer".

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Read valve issues o. Every model year with decreasing frequency but still see it. Do a leak down. Not a compression test others here will debate. Leak down

Do not buy a 355 until you do a leak down. If it's good then is what wayskn says, condition service etc.

Amzing cars but worth whet ever some will pay, who's in the market when what comes up is a big part of it. Book value determinations are uselss.
    Good luck!

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Read valve issues on every model year with decreasing frequency but still see it. *

Sorry typo.. in Italy full of wine.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app