One more fake Barchetta - the 063s | Page 2 | FerrariChat

One more fake Barchetta - the 063s

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by dim, Jan 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    body by Vignale, beautifull...

2. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    No Christian, it's a Stabilimenti Farina body...

F40org likes this.
  3. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    really! I thought has Vignale for the front face...thanks Francis for rectification.

pictures from the rear of this car????

4. don

don Karting

Jan 7, 2004
    Dunedin Florida USA
    Full Name:
    Don Nelson
    The body was offered to me in exchange for a good lunch. The windshield was the same as my Vignale 0197EL, so it was a good spare. The Stabilimente Farina chromed side flashes and portholes are on my bookcase. The body was then cut into pieces and scrapped, as it was too far gone to consider restoring. My original thought was to mount it on one of the many 250GTE chassis that I had.

5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    It would have been more interesting to recreate the original Farina design than a copy of a Touring barchetta.

6. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I like barchetta's as much as the next guy, but the original Farina was an interesting and good looking body. What a shame that it is gone.

7. Tom Roland

Tom Roland Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    The history of this Stab. Farina cabrio reads as a continuous disappointment : not sold at the 1950 Paris show, painfully sold by Toulo de Graffenried after the Geneva show, body scrapped in Switzerland not long afterwards.
    Regrets ?

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Stylistically, it has "a lot going on"...only in today's view are these unique details a relief to a 'more common" treatment....

Thanks for joining in on this thread, the old photos are interesting, indeed!

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I agree, an aluminum recreation would have been a runner!

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Front bumper attachments are wonderful.
    If not exactly pretty.

11. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #36 Aardy, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Seem to remember this or similar bodied car going around many dealers. If it is the same car it has been for sale for more than 6 years now.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    recreated body not to original, going into recreations.

14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Too bad about the recreation body on this chassis; I think the original was a sensational design. Of course, I lean toward the unusual rather than the ones 'everybody' likes.....

One of the 'big dogs' needs to man up and recreate the original body on this chassis...bet they could even charm the chrome pieces away from Mr. Nelson.

15. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    To me, one of the single most beautiful machines in the early three-digit serials. Some of the early cars weren't exactly lookers but this car's original metal was drop-dead gorgeous.

Yes, it's certainly a shame the original body was lost but it's also a success story in that the car was saved and lives on as a "bitsa." Regardless of current form or "label" as a recreation, its history of having worn many sheetmetal "hats" holds some charm. Perhaps one day its value will allow it to wear the recreation of its original shape? If only so it can move into a less stigmatized part of this forum?! I hope so.

16. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    OK granted it was a hard luck car, retrieved out of a junkyard no less
    but now that early Ferrari prices have risen so dramatically, isn't there a chance someone will rebody it in its original style?
    Too bad Donald Nelson threw the original Farina body away, but isn't there a sister car existing today that could be CNC -canned? (and what would such a body cost if made by these modern methods)--I know this method was used with the Richard Teague burned out Ferrari 350 cabriolet sold by Shaughnessy.
    Also 063S lost its engine along the way, that engine
    installed in 059S and then
    later on Christopher Stewart, UK installed a 212 engine. Seems to me that, with the original engine, it would be worth 40% more--or is it the problem then what does the owner of 059S do for an engine?.
    Did the UK magazine say what Donald Nelson sold the chassis for?

17. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  18. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    According to what have Bob de la Rive Box discovered the car in 1968 in the scrapyard of Rudolf Benn in Besenbueren in Switzerland[?]. The engine was missing. tongascrew

19. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Uuh, that front view makes it look even uglier than any other photos I've seen - and it doesn't look very pretty in those either!

20. F40org

F40org Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    Munich / Ft. Myers(FL)
    Full Name:
    Rolando
  21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Interesting how so many obvious, yet relatively easy & simple things to do correctly during a full “restoration” are off.
    Not to mention rather distracting location of “the plaque”, but perhaps it garnered serious discounts and is now contractually required to be left in that spot for some specified time line.