I think I realized today that an F430 Berlinetta is a great buy and a great car... | FerrariChat

I think I realized today that an F430 Berlinetta is a great buy and a great car...

Discussion in '360/430' started by ibesuc, Jun 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
  2. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    What in particular allowed you to arrive at that conclusion today when you hadn’t previously?

02360spider likes this.
  3. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Forgetting other distractions like the 458 and 599.

VAF84 likes this.
  4. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    Yep. No easy feat. The 458 was a pretty significant advancement. If you’re going in at $100K, it’s hard to not consider stretching a little to go in at $175K for one of the best cars ever created.

That probably doesn’t help though ;-)

whatheheck likes this.
  5. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I can relate. I initially bought the F430 and hoped to be able to jump up to the 458. Have a buddy with one that I’ve driven, and considered purchasing once he was ready to move on. However, I’m starting to think this is the perfect Ferrari to keep for the long term. If anything I may buy a second fun vehicle for the stable to keep things interesting.

I also feel that the F430 is starting to get a more favorable view as time passes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

rampante550 likes this.
  6. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No doubt a great car, especially for what you can get one for today. I have a F8 under contract, but I keep asking myself why not just keep the 430? It’s not the newest or fastest thing out there, but it is certainly adequate in those regards plus it looks and sounds great!

7. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This is more relative to any mid engined Ferrari...but does anyone else miss having the engine compartment as your rear window when you’re in a Spider or front engined Ferrari? I do. It’s spectacular when you’re in a 430 or 458 and you look back at the engine as the display piece that it should be. Gives you a real supercar feel.

And it’s sort of a shame that you need to spend $3 million if you want a modern mid engined V12 Ferrari.

8. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    OP, have you driven an F430 yet?

I was only able to drive an F430 twice and both times were memorable moments. Such a brilliant car!

Can’t say the same for the 458 though. Would like to drive a 488 to compare sometime.

9. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    You’re saying you’ve driven a 458 and it wasn’t memorable?

10. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Yes, correct. It’s fast but to me it’s not as intimate to drive like the F430 and below cars.

rampante550 and Themaven like this.
  11. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    Fair enough. 458 is brilliant to me.

DefunctNeurons and vinny84 like this.
  12. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Just traded my F430 for a 458 Italia this past weekend. They are definitely not the same, but the newer tech (especially the trans) makes it a far more usable car. And the speed! Will still miss the aggressive looks of my F430, plus the pops and bangs on downshifts, but not much else. Love love love the 458! But it’s a huge price jump.

whatheheck and Lagunascorpio like this.
  13. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    I currently have a speciale, 488 spider and a f430 spider. I also have had a scud.

Of all these cars my favorite car to drive is the 430 spider!!!

Incredible car for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rampante550, daveyator and whatheheck like this.
  14. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    If I had the bankroll, I would have kept the F430 and added the 458, but not possible for me right now. I think adding a spider to my new coupe in the future would be perfect, though!

15. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    After picking up a McLaren 675 LTS I wasn’t sure I would still want to drive my 430 spider, but it actually made me appreciate the specialness of the car even more. I think the 675 is the best modern sports car out there under 500k but the 430 is just as much fun in a very different way. I think for racing around on the street the 430 is tough to beat.

16. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    This is GREAT to hear, since all I have is an f430 spider. I just acquired it in February and am in love...so visceral, and that start-up sound with cold engine just gives me the willies!!

17. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Bought my first Ferrari a month ago. I was open to many different cars for $150k but I just couldn’t get over the feeling of my first Ferrari drive, the noise, the looks and drive of the F430 was unparalleled in my humbled opinion. Incredible buy for $105k....turns heads at a whim and the feeling when firing it up and driving it is truly an occasion. I didn’t get that feeling with Lambo or McLaren, even though they are fantastic cars. Maybe it’s because of my desire to always own the Ferrari. Thanks all...

Themaven, DefunctNeurons and vinny84 like this.
  18. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    It is funny I came across this posting. I have a big birthday coming up next year, and was contemplating selling mate F430 spider and getting a 458 spider. The 430 is a more visceral experience in my opinion. Better sound, and something fun about the F1 transmission slamming you back. But, it’s lack of rigidity and related squeaks can be pretty annoying.

Themaven likes this.
  19. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    Sounds like you could solve your problems and save a few bucks just by switching to a 430 coupe, lol.

20. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the 430 is a great bang for the buck.
    a lot of fun, and you dont need to worry much about it.

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I need to refresh myself with the 458 as I haven’t had one in years, but I suspect the 430, which I do have, may be both more flawed and more fun. Is the 458 as enjoyable at achievable road speeds? Open question.

22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i have driven a few 458's. i like them. i like the shape.
    but, it can be argued that the car is just too easy, too automated. thats the luddite in me i guess.

Themaven likes this.
  23. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    #23 veilstylez, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    I had a f430 spider as my first and traded for the 458 spider. I loved my 430..the looks the sound it was perfect. When I drove the 458...I thought man this is too refined, too soft, and not raw enough compared to the 430 and so I dismissed it. But ended up selling the 430 wanting something else....sold it then and ended up buying a 458 a year later. The 458 is a better car in the fact that its way more reliable...WAY MORE. I drove the car hard for 8 hours straight on a rally without ever worrying if something was going to break, that was my fear with the f430 every time I drove it even tho mine was pretty reliable but it still worried me(those stupid "low down" lights or F1 line breaking which happened before). But I think the 430 had more driving emotions, maybe because its more analog. I miss the rawness of the 430 so I want to add a gated 430 or a scud.

And yes the F430 is a great great car! I'm glad it was my first because to me its a true Ferrari

24. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    The F430 is a very complete package Ferrari !!! It is an improved 360 in every way !! Better F1 and more torque down low !! Sure the 458 is better , but not 60% the price better , maybe 20% IMHO !!

recoil likes this.