'97 F355 Spider Starting Problem | FerrariChat

'97 F355 Spider Starting Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Aeroengineman, Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    My F355 was in the shop a month ago for its first 30K with 13K miles on it. It has randomly had a failure to start 3 on three occaisons since the service, while sequencing the key fob so it double beeps. When this first occurred, the dealer suggested I shut the power off and go through the 10 minute warm-up procedure and also to try the red master as well as the black fob I use normally. Yesterday when it failed for the 3rd time, I tried both red and black key fobs - no luck - The car gives a proper "double beep" but then all the dash lights come on including the "slow-down" warning which normally occurs when I have forgotten to push the button for the double beep. I then tried to shutoff the master powerswitch and turned it back on after 15 seconds - with no effect. We checked the battery by turning on the headlights which were bright. I have never had a security system battery failure or loss of power that would degrade that. Finally we turned off the Main power switch and waited 5 minutes to call the dealer again and when we truned the power on, we heard a solinoid click in the right rear of the engine compartment, which we had not heard when we had shut the power off before. Sure-enough it started normally and has started normally three times since.
    The dealer says this is typical. *hit happens and some times you just have to re-boot the computer, but they recommend waiting the 5 minutes with the power off for that to work??? suggestions?

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Wire up a bypass to the solenoid to a switch inside the car.

3. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Which Solinoid is this likely to be and where is it exactly?

4. Aeroengineman

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    Does anybody know which solinoid in the engine bay is triggered by the main battery switch when it is turned on? And where is it?