Have you been a passenger in your F-car? | FerrariChat

Have you been a passenger in your F-car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JimEakin, Jul 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've had my 550 for 3 years now. I just recently saw my neighbor, and he had lost a bunch of weight. Turns out he's going through chemo. He asked if he could drive my 550. I said, the key is in the car.

We went for a ride yesterday, he was driving. Wow, it was the best ride that I've ever had as a passenger. It was really cool that he was not afraid to rev it up. There is one windy road near my house, he had a blast driving there. I took the wheel once to show him how to double clutch down into 2nd, but he didn't quite get it. This was the first time that anyone else has driven my car.

Anyone else wind up being a passenger in your F-car?

2. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I'll let close friends and family drive it. It's strange yet fun all at the same time.

3. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I recently had a fellow YouTuber review my car. It was the first time he sat in one let alone drive it, just look at the love and excitement on his face. Thats why WE ALL bought these cars.

It should skip ahead to the driving portion, if it doesn't, skip ahead to 25:48 to see his driving reactions. Priceless lol

JimEakin and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My wife sometimes drives me around if I've been drinking.

Kevin Hunter and 3POINT8 like this.
  5. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    The Lotus I had yes: I really enjoyed experiencing that I was giving friends an awesome time... years later they are sometimes still talking about it. :)

The Ferrari not yet, too emotional I think (except for my wife driving it).

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thus far, only with the wife driving.
    I pulled up on a secondary road, in the country, right before a long straight away, pulled over to the shoulder, tossed her the keys.

Her famous last words? I won't go too fast. A few seconds later we're doing triple digits! I was a tad nervous, I must admit, but the whiplash took my mind off of it.

T

willrace likes this.
  7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    my dad has driven them all.
    he was my codriver in the targa florio, the giro di sicilia, and the mille, all in my cars.
    my wife has driven all of them - just so that she knows how in case of emergency.
    in addition to this, my mother, my 3 kids, my god son, my good buddies, have all driven the 430, and some have driven the 456mgt too.

i dont tend to let any old unknown person drive the cars since the insurance may not cover them, but for the most part, i let people drive the cars.
    as long as they know how to drive stick, are reasonably competent drivers, and are either covered under my policy, or are wealthy enough to cover damage themselves, then these are just cars, and as owners you should share the experience. pay it forward.

Il Tifoso and Enzojr like this.
  8. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    My previous Ferrari (F355) I was at a regular Alfa get together and just tossed the keys to a chap I know, who adores F355's. He took the car for 20 minutes and returned it with a big smile.
    I was a bit on edge but it did make me feel good. My brother-in-law drove that car too with me as a passenger.
    Also my once next door neighbour drove my current Ferrari with me in the passenger seat. Hoping at some point this year my daughter will drive the 360 too.
    It really does make people's day. My brother-in-law is more into music (guitars) but there was a post of FB of him (set-up) trying to put his guitar in the passenger side window.
    The Alfa chap posted up pics of him in the car too. Yes I think it is good although a little nerve racking too :D
    I probably won't do the 'toss the keys and let them go" thing again though. I feel they drive more responsibly with you sat next to them.

9. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    Hi,
    all my friends and family already drove my (not soo expensive) F355. I was mostly in the passenger seat.
    Would be strange not to share it.

All of them drive very carefully though.

10. Cassia

Cassia Rookie

Jun 29, 2019
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Cassandra
    Yes quite a few times. It makes me happy to see people smiling when the turn the car on or hit the accelerator. My 18 year old niece even stated “it’s the fastest I ever driven” when she hit 150 kph on the autobahn :D
    I even lend the car out to family and friends when I don’t use it. Guess they have put more than 5000 km on it.

11. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Lol......
    First time I let my best friend drive my 328 way back last century, we got pulled over by a cop within 15 minutes :(
    Also my gf at the time refused to many times to count, never figured out why .......
    She drove her Honda like a pissed off Kyle Busch every time she drove.
    Once I even put her behind the wheel and started it, she was shaking so bad I shut it off.
    She never complained at 150 mph, so never figured out why she wouldn’t drive it.

12. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Both my children when 21 yrs old.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

13. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    My wife drives the 458 a lot (especially like what Eric C described)

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I never had an issue, in fact, it gives me an excuse to make sure these cars get exercise. To me it all depends on WHO is driving it. Most folks I would trust, a small few, never.

15. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    My dad drove my 355 last year, at 79 years old. He didn't want to rev it past 4k or so, but that's ok, it was his trip :) Always supportive of my Ferrari obsession, he'd go with me to FCA events, sometimes a 12-hour round trip from our house in NH when I was a teenager, and here we were 30 years later with him driving my car...that was a pretty great ride.

MalcQV, tomc, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  16. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I let my brother in law drive the California back from the dealership the day I bought it, made his day, and he’s still telling everyone he meets about it now, a month later!

The Mrs has never driven the Ferrari’s, but when I met her, she was 18 and just passed her test... as a bit of easy seduction, so I thought, I gave her the keys to an Aston Martin vantage, and within 100 yards she pinged it into a ditch! Luckily, thee wasn’t much damage, and the erotic seduction turned into paying me back for the scare she gave me. Car was fine, the ditch wasn’t deep, but gave us both a start!

17. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

A few times. Let a half dozen guys drive my Dino (with me ALWAYS in it.)

Let two or three drive my 360. Last one was the 1st and last guy who test drove it when it was for sale. After his test drive I said to myself, "NOPE, not doing that again." Fortunately he decided to buy it a couple days later.

D

18. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Jeez I need to chill a bit. I have let 2 friends drive my 430 and I can't say I enjoyed being in the passenger seat, least of all when they got on the gas. Wife keeps asking and I always reply when you have mastered my manual BMW you can drive the manual 430. She's tried the BMW a few times and the bunny hops are quite impressive.

JimEakin and daytona355 like this.
  19. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I let my dad and brother drive my F430 and 458. I have a buddy that is a car nut so I forced him to drive the F430 but he refused to drive the 458. I said it was easier to drive than the F430 but I had just gotten it and it was real wet out and I don't think he felt comfortable. I also let my brother-in-law's brother drive it who is also a car nut and he couldn't keep a smile off his face.

on the flip side, no one has offered to let me drive their ferrari yet...would really like a chance at an F12....just saying....

daytona355 likes this.
  20. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Selectively of course. But yes.

I enjoy the Ferrari experience many ways. And this is a fun one on the rare occasions. Sharing has been good.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When I completed my 246 Dino after about 2 years of work, I asked my friend --who was the mechanic --to drive me around in it before I took control.

He thought that was quite an honor. I didn't want to tell him I was scared of crashing it. :)

JimEakin likes this.
  22. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    This is a great story.
    When I was 16 in 1971 my older brother's friend Bob, came over in his new Porsche 914. He threw me the keys and told me to take my friend for a ride. We took off for one hour on back roads and brought it back in one piece.
    Move ahead 37 years. Bob (who still owns that 914) hears from my brother that I bought my 430. How could I say no when he asked to drive my car. I snapped a photo of him doing 165mph in it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JimEakin, Fireman1291 and Il Tifoso like this.
  23. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Full circle baby! Cool story!

24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thats the way i feel about things with my dad.
    he taught me how to drive stick in his 356sc. once i mastered that, i graduated to his '77 930, and he let me take that car everywhere.
    so years later when i got into ferraris, i went with him to pick them up, drive them across the continent, and in all kinds of events.
    trying to do the same with my own son, altho he is considerably less responsible than i was, but i let him drive the 430 many times, and have now taught him stick on a beater. he will graduate to the 512tr when it gets to houston.

25. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I'm frequently a passenger in my wife's car.