Range of tank/fuel gauge accuracy on 360 | FerrariChat

Range of tank/fuel gauge accuracy on 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by mmarksx19, Jul 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mmarksx19

mmarksx19 Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Hi all,

First long run in my 360 spider (manual) of the year - I drove from Leeds to Chalfont (UK) and am heading back on Friday.

The journey is about 200 miles each way so 400 miles in total and most of it is on the motorway (travelling at between 50 and 70mph). So quite gentle.

I filled the tank before setting off and, having got here (so 200 miles later) the fuel gauge has gone down by 3 bars so about a third of a tank. Now, by my maths that's impossible - a third of a 19 gallon tank is 6 and a bit gallons which would mean I have done over 30mpg - yeah right!

Does the fuel gauge suddenly drop? I have had the tank show just 1 bar left when there wasn't much fuel so I'm sure it works but I don't know if the sensor might be a bit stuck, whether the gauge stays at the top then suddenly drops or whether at a steady 50-70mph I can actually travel 400+ miles on a tank.

I know I could fill it up and work out exactly how much fuel I have used but I'm intrigued as to whether others have input?

Thanks all!!!

Michael

Sent from my BBF100-1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    #2 Bob in Makiki, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    I'm always confused by the difference between U.S. gallons and Imperial gallons, but my 360 holds 24.7 U.S. gallons (95 l) with a reserve of 5.3 U.S. gallons (20 l). So, more than 19 gallons U.S. And, if I am not mistaken, more than 19 Imperial gallons, too.

I have never tried to find out if the reserve is in addition to the 24.7, or part of the 24.7. I think it is just part of the 24.7 total. I do know the tank is huge, and I am reminded of this every time I pay to fill the thing.

My fuel gauge seems to be linear and accurate. But it will show low fuel when it hits the 5.3 gal. reserve.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I would add that on a fairly subdued run on the freeway 19-20 is pretty achievable.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Mine sometimes goes up and down a bar so I usually try to fill it when it's still showing three bars or as soon as it shows two.

billy.gif and killer58 like this.
  5. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    +1

6. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I do not believe each of the 9 bars = 19/9 gals. Below the half way mark it drops like there's a hole in the tank.
    My guess is that you've used up more than half the tank for that trip.
    My Acura MDX is the same way; takes a long time to get to an indicated half tank and then drops down quickly.

Bhh likes this.
  7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I filled up my car before it went into winter hibernation....satin the garage fora few months and went down 3 bars...so I take it's "accuracy" with a grain of salt.

8. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    You can expect 16 mpg on the highway driving aggressively

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. mmarksx19

mmarksx19 Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    I thought I would update you all on this.
    The fuel gauge did indeed drop far more quicklyin the lower half of the readings. However, having filled brim to brim, I averaged over 23mpg!!!!!
    That was made up of 50-80mph motorway driving, stuck in traffic just crawling for about 40 minutes and some spirited country road driving so a colleague could hear and feel what a Ferrari was all about. Roof down all the time.
    I didn't expect this!

Sent from my BBF100-1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    That’s about what mine averages over long runs.
    23 miles per imp. gallon that is or 4.55 litres. A US gallon is 3.8l so sub 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I have gotten 23 mpg on long mostly interstate trips here in the US.

12. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    My average MPG since I bought the car is 14,67L/100km or 16 mpg US / 19,3 mpg UK. I've driven ~18 000km or more than 11k miles with it.

But yeah, when doing freeway with sensible speeds, the car gets really good MPG especially while keep in mind how old the whole power unit is.

13. HJZ360

HJZ360 Karting

Nov 27, 2017
    Weslaco, Texas
    Full Name:
    Harold John Zurlo
    Driving to San Antonio, Tx., about 240 miles, I averaged 23.5 mpg driving 75 - 80mph. Surprised me turning the rpms it does!

billy.gif likes this.