360 - Can the front vents on 360 be fixed? pics included | FerrariChat

360 Can the front vents on 360 be fixed? pics included

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tarek307, Jul 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Hey guys, unfortunately my Modena suffers from the shrinking in the front, the leather is actually fine, but the defrost front vents have warped and popped out- I know there is a company that makes metal ones, so my question is:

-Can i pull these bad ones off easily without taking windshield out and just order the new metal ones that won't warp and put in? I do not want to enter into a mess of removing windshield or dash.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Only option is dash removal. Do a search on forum, you'll get lots of hits on this issue.

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I believe @rizzo308 is who you seek for the metal dash vents, but you will have to remove the dash. It's pretty much the only thing that kept me from swapping mine out.

02360spider likes this.
  4. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Those vent pieces are held by small post and clips (I think) from the underside. You can probably 'pop' the posts, but the OEM vents may not be usable if badly warped. When I had my 2001 360, the dash leather was separating from the under foam and made a floppy bump. I pulled the dash out (it was some work on my part). I stripped and cleaned the molded dash and had it recovered. The vents were ok and could be reused, however I drilled mounting holes where the posts were and used small black anodized socket head screw, backing washer and Nylock nuts. Still looked stock. The metal vents mentioned above are last I looked just flat sheet metal, not at all like the OEM with air guide passages.

Good Luck!

5. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yeah, tough job, but so glad I am a nerd about my windshield shade. Use it every time I park outside, especially at shows since it's almost always full sun. One odd thing was having the car sit on the dealer lot in the sun after service with the shade folded up. Don't they think about this kind of thing? It's right there next to the passenger seat!

6. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    well it looks like the only option is removing the dash, which means i won't be fixing that issue and they will stay like this..no way i'm removing the dash and dealing with that headache

7. BobBB

BobBB Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert Berger
    I had the same issue. Bought the metal vents from Phil Rizzo. Excellent product. Had the dash removed, leather removed, padding(what was left of it) removed, and new padding installed. They were able to re-use the original leather (perfect condition) and reinstall dash. Total cost was $1,750 to remove and reinstall dash, and $1,000 at upholstery shop. Worth the expense. Just couldn’t live with looking at that every time I get in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SoftwareDrone and f355spider like this.
  8. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Yeah very sad. Most dealers have the same attitude. Don’t giv a sh$t Policy.
    Cheers

9. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Also very sad how jerk offs open their mouth when they have no idea what they are talking about!

This is my personal car and has been my car for the past 8 months that I daily drive and cherish every day not look at it inside a garage, and not a car that I’m selling anytime soon. So before you open your mouth know wtf you’re talking about.

10. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah

Did you have any rattles or issues at all after reinstalling the dash? I’m really Leary about getting the dash removed. Pricing actually doesn’t seem too bad from what you’ve mentioned though..thought it would be much higher.

11. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Terek,
    Easy tiger. My comment was in response to John 348 post # 5. Service centres/dealer leaving car with windows up waiting to be picked up baking in the sun not at you. I have no reason to be disrespectfully to you.

Cheers

12. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah

Lol.. well I apologize then, looked like it was towards me, I was surprised.

I see you are the man to goto for the vents- will be ordering a set from you soon when I decide to tackle this job.

John_K_348 and TooFast355 like this.
  13. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Apologies accepted. My friend had his car at local F dealer they left car outside baking for a full day 40 deg heat. Pm me when your ready, will have a new batch of vents from machine shop nxt week.

Cheers

John_K_348 likes this.
  14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Same here, my dash is a little warped around the vents, but nowhere else...so whenever it's outside, even for a few minutes getting washed or whatever, it has it's humungo, oversized sun shades which cover every inch of the windshield. It's not too bad now, don't want it to get any worse.

John_K_348 and rizzo308 like this.
  15. BobBB

BobBB Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Robert Berger
    tifosi101, Tarek307 and dr_rob like this.
  16. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    I have the same problem on my 360. This posts holding it to the dash are broken. I used double sided tape to hold them in place - cheap, easy fix.

17. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Had the same issue on my 430 spider. Dash taken out, leather on front section replaced and new vents from Rizzo. The tech was impressed with the fit and quality of the vents.

Sent from my Galaxy

18. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Do the fix sooner than later as the real cause of the broken vents are the shrinking leather. If you do it before the leather shrinks too much you can save it!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Tarek307 likes this.
  19. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Hear you on that! so either buy the new speedmaster Professional i want or fix the dash for me lol

20. dr_rob

dr_rob Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rob
  21. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    When you see how much they sometimes stretch the leather when covering the dashboards at the factory it's really no surprise that the leather shrinks.

22. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    #22 John_K_348, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    +1 on the humungo sun shade. SUV size does the trick. Just fold the lower corners in.

23. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    This is now really bothering me, i just ordered the billet vents from Rizzo, i'm just so worried about taking the dash out, i've seen videos and sent to my mechanic and he said it won't be a hard job.

The thing is i also have a couple of bubbles that show when its cold outside, so i may as well fix the leather while dash is out, but i've called a couple of places and they want around $4,000 which seems ridiculous.

24. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I had a shop in Livermore, CA leave mine out in the sun for a couple weeks. dash was perfect going in and warped vents and bubbles coming out. Sued the prick and won, would have loved to be a fly on the wall when his bank called informing him of my bank levy snagging 10K out of his business account. When the windshield cracked, upon replacement the guy asked if I wanted him to glue the vents back down, he did and they look great. No charge. Watch out for FZ Restoration. Guy uses his affiliation with FCA to garner business and was totally a jerk when I tried to show him the damage he caused. HTH

RedNeck likes this.