Gear oil smell | FerrariChat

Gear oil smell

Discussion in '348/355' started by jjtjr, Jul 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I notice an occasional gear oil smell while driving, especially when hot and the top is down. Noticed it since the time I have owned the car. I just changed the gear oil with this years annual, and it did not change anything. So just wondering if any (especially spider) owners have noticed this?

601 likes this.
  2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You have a leak somewhere. I have never smelled gear oil with the top down. Tend to it soon, there is not a lot of gear oil to go around.

3. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Well that's the mystery. I have been checking the fluid level right along, and it always stays put. I did have a small leak from the triple seals last year in which I replaced the seals and replaced the slave cylinder. This year during service I checked everywhere and I'm sure there are no leaks. And the smell is very intermittent, and I believe it is likely coming from the vent.

4. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Have a quick look at your spider roof pump oil level. Its easy enough to do, its sat besides you under the cover between the seats. Different types of oils have there own smells, some of the thin hydrolic oils can smell very simular to gear oil. So when your roof is put down the pressure moves the oil within the pumps system.
    You might have a leak in one of the multiple pipes that go into the distribution block and pump, or even a hood ram. You only need a few drops to start smelling it. Just thinking outside the box as they say.

5. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm positive that its 90 Weight gear oil smell. There is no mistaking the smell of that, having been immersed in it doing truck transmissions and axles, you can never forget it. :p

6. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Good, so you have ruled out that then. You did read the bit about the different smells different hydraulic oils give of right? However if you are 100% thats good ;)
    Now look at your water/oil heat exchanger, the oil in it runs from your gear box. Maybe worth checking V8 valley for any oil leak. Its located there.

7. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    Look at the c.v boots. Its possible they are weeping and intermittently and grease is being thrown onto a part of the hot exhaust.

WATSON likes this.
  8. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It’s likely the speedo sensor. Ours was leaking and exhibiting the same smell you describe.

Lower LH side of the transmission, easy to snug down if leaking.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    In my case, twice it was the banjo bolt connecting the oil line from the gearbox to its heat exchanger. The aluminum banjo bolt cracked, allowing the gear oil to leak out.

Qavion and Jackie and bill like this.
  10. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I will put it back up on the lift and do another check. Maybe the cv joints are the culprit around the flange, because I looked at the boots and they are OK.

11. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Just an update. After a few more drives over the summer (some with the top down) I have been able to pin it down to the vent. Putting a plastic sandwich bag with a rubber band around it stopped it. But of course I can't leave it on there for the obvious risks, so I will do some research to see if there is a permanent solution. It isn't a major issue, but with the top down and the windows up it creates a negative air pressure in the cabin causing the engine air to blow in bringing this gear oil smell with it intermittently. It bothers my wife more than it does me. I think it reminds her of rides in my old International Scout. (She hated that rig) :(

12. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Make sure your heat exchanger is not leaking coolant into the gearbox. That would increase the level of the whole fluid, overpressurize the gearbox and eventually will start spitting out of the breather vent.
    Its unlikely but not impossible as those go bad more than I thought they would.

13. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My 98' 355 does the exact same thing. Checked for leaks, checked the cooling system, checked the boots and nothing. Just once in a while a whiff of pumpkin oil. I've given up looking for the cause.

14. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Is your car a spider?

15. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    One possible solution would be to put a suitable rubber "doughnut" which would go tight over the breather and be positioned at its bottom. Something like this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Then put a short rubber hose that would go tight over the bush and insert an elbow into the top of the hose to which you can connect a longer hose and bring it to somewhere at the back of the engine compartment or down. The elbow:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Thanks for the input, I may end up doing this. As I said I dont mind its my copilot that takes exception to the smell.