History | FerrariChat

History

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Jul 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    One hundred fifty six years ago on this day my grand father was marching through a little town in Pennsylvania called Five Taverns, five miles east of another little town named Gettysburg. He had just marched for four days non stop from Potomac , Maryland after marching from Dumfries, Virginia. The sound of artillery fire was ahead of them as the Battle Of Gettysburg had begun. Without rest from his arduous march of 150 miles, he engaged the enemy for three days without rest. He fought on Culps Hill and in the center of the line on Cemetery Ridge during Picketts Charge on the Union center. He survived Gettysburg and six others thereafter, including Chicamauga Swamp, and Look Out Mountain in Chattanooga, Tennessee. He was seriously wounded in New Hope Church, Ga. and almost made a his ultimate sacrifice for a country about which he knew little as an Irish Immigrant. He came here from Dundalk ,Ireland as a 5 year old child in 1848 and became some of the strength of this Immigrant country.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Wonder if he was fighting my great-grandfather from South Carolina, who was on the other side. Have to look a little deeper into his history.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    All of the regiments of both sides have recorded locations during the battle. What was the number of your great-grandfather's regiment? My grand father was in the 29th Ohio.
    B

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A salute to your grandfather for serving his adopted country. I guess if he hadn't survived, you wouldn't be around to keep us informed and entertained!

Jaguar36 likes this.
  5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Looking at my data regarding the action on the second day, Culp's Hill was under heavy attack by Ewell's div. composed of Va., La., and NC regiments.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- No idea at this time. Will have to do some research.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Terry, I have dug through some stuff and I honestly don't see a lot SC regimental action except in the Union center where I found the 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 13th, and 14th SC regiments.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It's funny that on an aviation forum, we are discussing events that took place 40 years before the Wright brothers even flew!:rolleyes:

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Did you know they used a hot air balloon during the Civil War?

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I guess that I let a date and a relative pop up where it shouldn't have. With the 4th of July coming up it always triggers a realization that on that date two incidents have a profound importance. Well, they DID have hot air balloons then.

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, this side of the ocean, only a few years later, during the siege of Paris, on October 7th, 1870, french politician Leon Gambetta escaped by flying away with a hot air balloon...

Rgds

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    We have some orators over here with enough hot air to fill enough balloons to take all of them across the Atlantic but with due respect for you, JUST SHORT OF FRANCE.

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Thanks Bob, for the "just short of France". Some of our politicians are cursed by the same tendancy; Gambetta himself was not entirely free of grandiloquence, especially in his later years.

Out of sheer curiosity, I searched for the first flight in a "free" hot air baloon (= by free, I mean not tied to the ground by a rope); like we were told as kids at school, it was Jean-François Pilâtre de Rozier and the marquis d'Arlande on Nov 21st, 1783. Pilätre de Rozier lost his life two years later when attempting to cross the english channel in a kind of hybrid baloon/flying machine of his invention.

Back to what Terry was saying: there is only ONE occurrence known of using a baloon for military purposes before the American civil war: the French at the bataille de Fleurus, on June 26th, 1794; Capitaine Couteille observed the ennemy forces from a baloon.

[The date should actually be spelled "8 messidor An II" ("messidor 8th, Year 2") as during the years that followed 1792, the revolutionaries enforced a different calendar with new months' names based on the cycle of nature and a new count for years]

Rgds

Bob Parks likes this.
  14. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Funny timing given President Trump’s remarks this week and the flurry of aviation in early American history memes they triggered.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bob Parks likes this.