458 - Electrical system failure - go to dealer | FerrariChat

458 Electrical system failure - go to dealer

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Welford10, Jul 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Welford10

Welford10 Karting

Dec 26, 2013
    England
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Hi forum

I started my 2014 458 italia up today and prior to the engine starting the dashboard lights went off.
    The car did start but electrical system failure - go to dealer came up on the dashboard.

I think prior to electrical system failure it said epc failure.

The garage filled with smoke from the exhaust so I immediately switched the engine off. It was only running a few seconds.

The car had not been started for a week or so and had not been in charge for 2 - 3 weeks.

I’ll contact dealer on Monday but the smoke worries me! Any ideas?

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    If the lights went out during starting procedure most likely the battery didn’t have enough power to start the car. Most likely your battery is either dead or old and near ending its usable life.

If you have easy access to your battery check the voltage. You should have close to 12 volts.

Charge it ASAP and try starting again once it’s fully charged.

How old is your battery? If it’s over 4 years old time for a new one.

Hope that helps .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Welford10

Welford10 Karting

Dec 26, 2013
    England
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Cheers. The car is 2014. I’ve owned for 20 months. Until the last few weeks or so I have always kept in on trickle charge.

I’ve never replaced the battery.

What was the smoke about do you think?

4. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    If the ECU is low on voltage, everything can happen.

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    If the smoke is from the exhaust pipes it’s mostly moisture. I don’t think it’s something to worry about.

If the smoke came from the dashboard and smelled like burnt wire that is not good. Likely a short circuit. That could be serious.

If you have aftermarket electronics and it’s something someone installed and probably didn’t do a good job I would start looking there. If it’s installed properly and they installed a fuse the fuse will blow in the event of short circuit.

Any aftermarket electronics installed in your car?

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    If the battery is still original it’s 5 years old. I’d say it’s time for a new battery.

7. Welford10

Welford10 Karting

Dec 26, 2013
    England
    Full Name:
    Gary
    No, all original.

Only done 4K miles. Smoke came from rear of car.

I’ll restart tomorrow when fully charged.

Thanks

AClark and whatheheck like this.
  8. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mine has done that. I shut it off and it restarts no problem. Use the charger and get a battery.

AClark likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Another day, ather story about a bad Ferrari battery.

Get a new battery. And what ever you do, DO NOT get an OE replacement. The OE battery is of a quality one has to experience to believe. Get a good Group 48/H6 battery and replace it. It's not d is not difficult.
    I would suggest a Braille B7548. One of the best and by far most powerful Group 48 batteries around.

AClark likes this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    While you are at it, I suggest you upgrade the factory tender. Depending on what battery you get, go to Amazon or eBay and type in Ctek 7002 Ferrari and you will see my preferred tender and also you can get the adaptor to fit the Ferrari terminal. A little bit of white smoke that goes away fairly quickly after start up seems normal for these cars, but, I can understand how you would be worried given the cascade of events. Most likely your issue is the battery- I would start there and see where it goes.

AClark likes this.
  11. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Charge battery overnight, restart and let it idle until it hits optimal operating temp. When you shut off the car and restart ,all should be good.

AClark likes this.
  12. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA

IMO

Electrical portion of your question is related to surface charge / loss of battery voltage. Contact your dealer , they will check your entire charging system, and most likely replace your battery.

What color was the smoke:

Dark / black-ish , maybe unburnt fuel due to low voltage , full ignition did not occur

White / gray smoke , not unusual if the car has not been started / driven in a while. Or , if car has been serviced recently the engine oil may be over filled. If, when you start it again smoke is gone, you should be ok. If when started there is still a-lot of smoke actively coming from your exhaust , I would suggest turning it off immediately and having it transported to your dealer .

All wild ass guesses ....

Be sure to post what you find out!

A

13. Bob Sullivan

Bob Sullivan Karting

Aug 18, 2005
    Great Falls, VA
    Full Name:
    Dr. R. A. Sullivan
    These cars need to be kept on trickle charge as much as possible! With low battery voltage the ECU will generate all kinds of strange indications/alarms. Agree with those to noted the battery should be replaced if older than 3yrs. I suspect all will be okay when you restart with a 'full' battery.

14. Welford10

Welford10 Karting

Dec 26, 2013
    England
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Charged overnight, all ok.

Thanks for the tips.

SD455TA, AClark and whatheheck like this.
  15. Gonzo007

Gonzo007 Rookie

Jun 10, 2022
    ravenna ohio
    Full Name:
    Art Bowen
    hello all, my 2014 458 will not turn over feels different when pressing the brake and turning the key. there is no resistance. ALL dash lights are coming on
    it is calling out that defense mode is activated. it has been on a trickle for last 3-4 weeks yikes

16. Docopp

Docopp Karting

Aug 28, 2011
    Crosby Texas
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Hello everyone :)
    I have a 2012 458, 20Kmiles. Always on maintainer, plug into car first...
    A few months ago the "Electrical System Failure" started to show up, would last a few minutes, then lasted longer and longer before it woiuld go away. Recently would take 20 minutes of driving to go away, now it never goes away :)
    I put it new Braille 7548, still the same.
    "Electrical System Failure" message shows up when I first turn the key on, I wait till fuel gauge works, then I start the car. Message never goes away.
    My 458 has always been in my climate controlled garage. I cleaned battery connectors at the battery.
    Not sure what to do next, since problem kept getting worse, sounds like a ground problem ??
    Where does ground from battery attach to the chassis ??
    If problem is on the positive side, where is most likely location ??
    Thank you for any advice or help, Ed :)

17. Docopp

Docopp Karting

Aug 28, 2011
    Crosby Texas
    Full Name:
    Ed
    An update......
    I noticed my maintainer aways stops at 3 lights, with old battery and new Braille
    I connected the maintainer directly to the battery and it started at 3 lights, then in am was at 7 lights !!
    i reconnected battery to car, went thru reconnect steps, Electrical System Failure went on when just turn key :(
    Now shows 7 lights when maintainer plugged into car, and still ESF when just turn key.
    I even grounded the battery additionally to the chassis......, still same
    Thinking an ECU, but this problem has been getting sequentially worse over many months, i would think ECU would not get worse over time, but apoor connection, corrosion etc would. My car hasnt been in the rain, climate controlled garage, but 12 yers young !! and in Houston Texas !!!
    Any suggestions please :)

18. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah

Interesting, keep us updated on what the issue is and solution (since the original thread starter didn't give a darn to update and keep the community informed after getting help & suggestions) , Electrical System Failure will usually come on if you're not driving the car much, battery gets low and has a little difficulty starting all the systems on the car when you first start it, there are so many sensors so the car thinks something is wrong, but should still start and be ok...

if you turn the ignition off and back on again immediately after does the message go away? If it doesn't then maybe you have a parasitic draw

19. mikey64

mikey64 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 26, 2013
    TN
    Full Name:
    mikey
    Docopp - have you tried clearing the DTC? Does it immediately return?

20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A lot of these comments refer to having battery on trickle charge for weeks or months, problem is the battery never gets a decent charge like it does when you drive it every day. Starting the engine part drains the battery and the alternator throws a good charge into it to bring it back up.
    My trickle charger is plugged into a timer and only comes on a few hours a day. I also switch the charger off for 3 days a week to let the tracker draw on the battery so i can give it a decent charge.