SF90 vs. Tesla Roadster | Page 5 | FerrariChat

SF90 vs. Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by TheBigEasy, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I’m getting my NRA decal ready!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California

You have excellent points.

I have had Ferraris for 20 years. And Tesla S from when they first launched in 2013. And now Tesla S with ludicrous mode. The ludicrous mode was fun to try out and show people but since then not be super useful as I don't want to engage in to thst battery steps to use the power. I just want to use it, vs answer prompts.

I think you are correct about all of your points. But there are significant flaws in the Tesla that you did not mention. I know them personally very well. There is a real reason Consumer Reports took them off their list. They are not biased against Tesla. Also, I am in a profession the that allows me to have involvement in what is being called autopilot. We are far away from that happening. Pilots fly planes in the sky where there is air traffic control and not much to bump into. Applying the term "auto pilot" is a marketing term. Don't get me wrong...it will get better and better. But it is not going to work perfectly in 2 years, let alone now. Or even 5 years. There is a real technical reason you have to keep your hands on the wheel during auto pilot mode in a Tesla, and it not just because of legal reasons.

I do feel that you left out the most important issue between Ferrari and Tesla. And that is the experience of sensations, of the enjoyment of driving. This does not happen in a vehicle with no sound, that is abstracted by using technology from the car. My wife and I love to use Tesla for fun transportation. But it is not remotely a form to experience the enjoyment of driving for myself.

Metrics don't define enjoyment, just like metrics don't really tell you how you feel about having sex with someone. It is not their dimensions (metrics)...after all many can have the same or nearly the same dimensions. It is how you feel when you are behind the wheel...so to to speak. The enjoyment of driving :). Not the metrics of the movement, or the tech of the movement.

Given that, the tech and the metrics are cool and be involved in creating a great product. That is what Steve Jobs/Apple used to do. But the design focus is what is key. Not the technology. I am a technologist. But I can tell you that the people who have used the products my companies have built would not care if their were small flying pixies inside of them and nothing else, if the experience I f the product was great for them as a person.

Teslas design focus is different than Ferrari. They yield a totally different human experience. This is a good experiment to imagine:
    put a blind person in a Ferrari and take them for a ride on a track and then the same with a Tesla, I would guess they would have pretty different experiences.

Also, picking one metric of "quicker", makes Tesla sound like the new definition of the American muscle car, now with technology rooted in electromagnetism coming out of Silicon Valley. Instead of steel from Detroit. And no, the Model 3 performance cannot sustain any real race on a track. The batteries quickly lose power laps into the race. Tesla users who track, state this on forums as I thought about tracking the Tesla. So it is the reincarnation of the American muscle car. Look at Nico Rosberg's YouTube video of him tracking this Pista and he at the end saying 'sorry no electric isn't even close'. Nico was the Formula One champion who is huge on electric vehicles for the planets sake,

And to close this up, I am not an anti-Tesla guy. Or anti Elon Musk guy. If you knew me personally, you would be sure of both of those statements.

I am just a person trying to highlight that Ferrari is focused on the enjoyment of driving involving sensation, the pure feelings of our senses. Tesla has a different design focus..to make people enjoy life but not in this manner as its priority, which you state as safety, efficientcy, technology, etc. All cool. Just totally different.

Oh...and I could have Roadster founder series 001 as a customer. I didn't put in the money. You only get to pick from one of 6 colors with zero customization which also didn't make it appealing for $250K.

Thanks for listening.

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    There are other cars with similar ratings.

Must may want you to believe that, but numbers don't lie. The Pista is a lot quicker: http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel7218-6495.htm

That is not what the article you posted says. Not to mention that Musk is known for making, let's say, dubious statements...

gzachary likes this.
  4. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Totally different experiences for sure, and so a comparison should take all of those things into consideration for sure. Nothing is like that wonderful V12! Completely amazing and I feel very privileged to be able to drive that 812 any time I want.

But I think the Tesla will be a fun experience nonetheless. Hardly a sports car!!

daytona355 likes this.
  5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

Great post, and from someone that has the object of the discussion.. fascinating opinion

6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    The X is butt ass ugly I would never buy one. But to each their own, hope you enjoy it!

F2003-GA and stavura like this.
  7. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL

The added steps are to get Ludicrous+, which takes the Model S 0-60 from 2.8 to 2.3s. Ludicrous can be on full-time, which is how I have it set in mine.

As a daily driver, the car is still a hoot a year in. And the 430 gets driven every weekend for the visceral thrills. :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

daytona355 likes this.
  8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    What is truly surprising to me, is that folks smart enough to have discretionary income enough to afford the $250k deposit are dumb enough to actually put it down on a Tesla product in the undetermined future?:rolleyes:

Jo Sta7 and SoCal to az like this.
  9. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    400,000 people put $2500 deposits on the Model 3, which was still years out. Many took delivery, many got refunds.

10. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well I am no fan of Tesla but even if/when they go broke someone will be there to collect the pieces. There is just too much infrastructure there for someone not to want to take advantage of a bargain price, IMO. That said I sure don’t want to be an unsecured creditor with a $250k deposit down on a future vehicle.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You'll be surprised just how many stupid people with money roam this planet.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The deposits were $1000, not $2500. I know this cause I was one of the idiots that put down the deposit.

After 5 years of model s ownership, one year a model x ownership- never again will I get conned by Tesla. My model x was the worst price of crap I’ve over owned. My model s we still own but a 25k Kia has better luxury and build quality than what was my 110k model s.

As for the 250k vapor ware roadster- good luck with that.

RamsHmb and F2003-GA like this.
  13. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah, I had a $40k deposit for one of the first thousand Model X's. When my turn came up I got my money back. It was too much new tech and I didn't want to be a beta tester for Tesla. Waited 2 years and got one, it has been great so far after 1 year. My dad has one of the first Model S's. He has only put 20k miles in 7 years but it has done well for them.

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Mine was vin # 52xx- it was crap. They have significantly improved now but the way they launched the car, delayed the car, took the deposits- it’s a shady practice and I got conned. I only
    Had a 5k deposit and should have just gotten another car. But I waited and waited and waited and I think I had to take it to the service center like 18 times in a year for one problem after another.

Granted every car company has lemons but anyone who got a founders edition Tesla got screwed. Just awful build quality and u fulfilled promises.

My wife is replacing the Tesla with an Audi etron which is coming next month and we drove and it’s built like a proper car.

I hope Tesla does well as they have been Trail Blazers but I have not enjoyed being an unpaid beta tester for them.

15. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    More than a Render Now, Jay Leno Drove in one.

I'm not early Access, but eagerly awaiting this and the HW3 upgrade.
    Was just using Navigate on Autopilot the other day, works amazingly well but the added image processing should take it to the next Level

I leave my Model S in Ludicrous Full Time, its like 2.5 seconds 0-60 instead of 2.28

I'm also not doing it for the gas revolution or to be a Tree Hugger... consider I have 3 cars that sport 12MPG & 1 at 9 MPG {2 Old Vettes & the 430 get 12 while the 355 is rocking the 9)
    I dig the Tech and innovation in the Tesla. Tho I think I'd take the SF90 over the Tesla Roadster myself.

16. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    jumpinjohn, stavura, vinny84 and 2 others like this.
  17. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Glad to hear somebody talking common sense for a change. It seems to be in such short supply in this world at the moment.

I don’t do automotive but other industries with semi and autonomous systems. I would be surprised if we say a truly autonomous car on our roads as main stream in my life time. That said I suspect semi autonomous cars will be even more dangerous as the dumb ass masses will “think “ it can drive itself and switch off even more than they do now.

18. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California

It is a disappointment for me that this has to become a “versus” discussion. IMO is best as a “different” discussion. Each one of us can use a bias to prove a “versus.” And I apologize if I was even giving off a “versus” vibe in my post. Not intended.

Someone can pick a 0-60. Someone else can what is better on the track.

To use a computing analogy, sometimes an iPhone is good for some, an Android for others. Others prefer a laptop. Others like desktops. Others don’t want any of these devices. Pick what is great for you.

Don’t get stuck into the wars that Intel had in terms of marketing technology to us that their processors had higher frequencies. Once they meant something important. But after a certain point, that became diminishing returns to the human experience. But that may change again. And the platform could again as well.

My main point is let’s give each other a break. Pick what is great for you. See that design focus of products are different. Just like Windows has been continuously different than Mac OS.

Pummeling each other could alienate us from wanting to talk with each other. And instead make us feel like we all have to just defend.

When I joined Ferrarichat, I was so excited to find people who were excited about people excited about Ferrari vehicles. And learn from them and contribute. I still want too. I hope you feel this way too.

Remember there is a person on the other end that has your level of passion for cars, Ferrari or other. We all have to gain by sharing what we love about the experience of our car and treating each other as friends in this experience.
    Thanks.

19. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Well said. It’s hard for some to express their opinion without insulting those with different ones. Honestly some folks here just do it for “fun”. Will never understand why someone would spend so much time discussing something they don’t like. Just move on to something you do like!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tekaefixe likes this.
  20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
  21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Oh my god, buddy, don’t ever come to the f1 section, some of them will drive you batty over there arguing for the sake of arguing, for the sake of a row! Hehehehe, I came here for a break from ‘Lewis is the best, Mercedes are great, Ferrari are rubbish, Vettel is a baby’, it’s a madhouse!

stavura and tekaefixe like this.
  22. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    In other news the Model X came late tonight. We drove it a bit and it is hilarious. I think it will be a blast - especially after figuring out how to work it all. Seriously if it had a 500 mile range, I would drop the S Class for road trips. (I think...)

TheBigEasy, gzachary, Moopz and 2 others like this.
  23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Been seeing reports the etron catching on fire and recall . Because apparently cant get wet as the batteries short out and explode

SoCal to az likes this.
  24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Awesome!! 75k and the car will catch on fire. My wife will be so happy. Lol

tekaefixe and daytona355 like this.
  25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013