360 - Spider Top Problem | FerrariChat

360 Spider Top Problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by spider348, Jul 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    My 360 spider top has developed an issue. Top does not lower completely into tub. See 2 rub areas on the back raised section in tub. Appears the top is not collapsing into itself fully. Body Cover sits about 6mm high at front. Not flush.
    Lubes all joints. Fluid level fine. Bands are tired. Push top bar back by hand.
    Cannot locate the section referenced in my 360 spider workshop manual: N 2 Procedure to Replace and Adjust Micro Switches.
    Help appreciated!

2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Sounds like you need to replace the bands, common issue, had to replace mine with same problem.

3. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
  4. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Probably the bands. There are threads here that explain how to replace them. Also this good article by Aldous Voice:

https://aldousvoice.com/2013/08/25/ferrari-360-spider-roof-problems/

If addressing the elastic bands does not solve the problem, check to see if all the underside of the canvas top is properly glued as designed. My top was not going down properly, and after much searching my mechanic discovered a point where the canvas should be glued down had come undone. Once reglued all was fine.

Of course, it could be a microswitch. Those do go bad (I have had one replaced). But your description of the problem sounds more like a mechanical reason the top is not folding down completely.

Good luck sorting it out! I love having a spider, but it does have its complications. . . .

5. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you all! Worked on the system yesterday. No improvement.
    Was hoping to delay band replacement until the snowy winter! Appears to be at least 4 each side!
    Bands are so stretched and distorted/elongated difficult to determine the correct working band length.

6. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor
    If the elastic band that pulls the center support bar above your head gets weak, it won't pull the bar back as the top goes down. As the top goes back, push the bar above your head to the rear. Try that.

7. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank you Stout. Currently I do push the bar back by hand. Had the same weak band issue with my former 355. Bands a lot easier to replace on the 355!

8. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    When lowering the top, make sure that the plastic rear window bows out toward the engine. That will make some clearance when the top is folded into the tub.