Monza SP1 & SP2 | Page 43 | FerrariChat

Monza SP1 & SP2

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by ajr550, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I think there's a VERY high likelihood (like 99.999%) that it is NOT. :)

of2worlds likes this.
  2. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I am there with Ferrari tomorrow.
    I will find out !

Eilig and of2worlds like this.
  3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thank you good sir!

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Here it is!

elmadi, JTSE30, Caeruleus11 and 4 others like this.
  5. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Glorious sound indeed!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    Ferrari showcases Monza SP2 speedsters at Goodwood
    Dramatic Monza SP2 joins single-seat SP1 as the first two models in Ferrari's ‘Icona’ series of limited-run specials

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    by Hilton Holloway
    4 July 2019
    Ferrari has shown off the dramatic Monza SP2 limited-run special at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, marking the car's dynamic debut ahead of customer deliveries.

It joins the SP1 as the first two models in a series of bespoke cars the company calls the 'Icona' series. The models were initially revealed in Ferrari's home in Maranello, but one has now appeared in Sussex following a second static outing at the Paris Motor show.

All the news from the Goodwood Festival of Speed 2019

Fewer than 500 of the two models - one a fixed single-seater, the other a two-seater - will be produced, with the production split according to demand from the select band of Ferrari collectors invited to buy them. There’s no official news of the pricing, but it is thought to be in the region of $3 million (£2.3m).

Inspired by the original Ferrari Barchetta models, particularly the 1948 166 MM and the 750 Monza of the 1950s, the SP1 and SP2 also feature the most powerful engine Ferrari has ever produced.

The 6.5-litre V12 delivers 809bhp at 8500rpm and 530lb ft of torque at 7000rpm. The engine has also gained variable inlet tracts - something taken from F1 engines - and another first for a road-going Ferrari.

The company is claiming a 0-62mph time of just 2.9sec and a 0-124mph time of 7.9sec. The maximum speed is set at 186mph. Loosely based on the 812 Superfast's underpinnings, the SP1 and 2 are clothed in carbonfibre composite panels.

OUR VERDICT
    Ferrari 812 Superfast
    Is Maranello’s most powerful series-production road car yet also its most riveting - or do rivals from Aston Martin and Bentley deliver a better grand touring experience?

Design boss Flavio Manzoni said that the composite exterior and interior are made in exactly the same way as the structure of Ferrari’s Formula 1 cars. Using composites also allowed the SP models to be fitted with a huge clamshell bonnet that could not have otherwise been manufactured. The doors open upwards and forwards to aid access into the cockpit. The exterior gets bespoke LED headlights and a unique ‘signature’ LED rear strip.

The simple form language not only echoes the classic Barchetta models but is a deliberate move away from “visually complex solutions”, Manzoni said at the Maranello unveiling.

It’s an interesting move that suggests there has been some customer backlash against the extreme modernity of recent Ferrari models. Ferrari is also promising to move back to more classically elegant design for its upcoming GT models.

Both SP models have minimalist cockpits, with a simple carbonfibre control panel to the right of the driver.

Ferrari has also managed to dispense with the windscreen thanks to a patented ‘Virtual Wind Shield’, which is mounted in the bonnet fairing ahead of the driver. It’s designed to divert some of the airflow over the driver’s head, though these Monza models will offer raw driving experiences similar to piloting an F1 car, the company says.

No more information was given about future Icona models, other than that they will account for well below 5% of Ferrari’s sales.

elmadi and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    The LaF engine had continuously variable inlet tracts, did it not?

8. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I'll answer my own question. LaFerrari has "variable resonance induction system."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/videos/a32452/how-variable-length-intake-works/

How is this different than what they are advertising is used in the Monza? Seems like it is one in the same, in which case their claim "another first for a road-going Ferrari" is bogus, as the LaFerrari is most certainly a "road-going Ferrari."

Marketing slip up??

9. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS

Video by: Mr JWW

elmadi and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Good point, not to mention the 812 which itself has them. I remember they had a cutaway model of the engine showing how the ducts move at the 812 preview.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/explained-adaptive-inlet-geometry

I think the LaFerrari may be technically different because the 812 has continuously variable (infinitely adjustable) intakes, but don't know for sure.

11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I was told by a tech that the LaF's variable inlet system is constantly moving around to a variety of different positions, thus requiring the larger CF box. Whereas the 812's variable inlet system is constantly moving between TWO SET positions (i.e. either one position or another, but nothing in between like LaF).

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  12. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    Viewed it yesterday.Looks and sounds wonderful.
    Asked about GPF but the guys looking after the car did not know.They thought not fitted which given it is actually a pre-production model seems likely.The sound is great so I am assuming it is not on this car.I have been promised a definitive answer so will post when I get it.

13. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    When I see videos like the one from Goodwood I forget the price of this car... it is one of the most emotional purchases ever...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't believe that is correct. The F12TdF had two position variable intakes and the LaF was infinitely variable. I've seen the 812 advertised as infinitely variable when it was introduced. In either case the reviewer is full of it.

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Indeed the Ferrari web sites mentions "continuous variable length inlet ducts" for the 812, they should know what they're saying ;)

Solid State likes this.
  16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Kinda disappointed by the sound. Sounds like an F12/812, which dont sound bad but i was expecting a little tweak...Kinda like the sound went from the Modena to the Stradale.

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It's so hard to judge sound on a video. To my ears via a laptop sitting outside, it sounds a tad more vicious than what I remember for the 812. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something to give it a little bit of a tweak. But even if its identical to the 812, this is no bad thing, and I hate to say it, but the time is fast approaching that we won't ever again hear these sounds from a new car.

stavura, R J, roma1280 and 1 other person like this.
  18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    What did you expect? It is just an 812 in drag, which of course is not a bad thing at all.

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I wrote what I expected. Read my comment.

j09333 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    I saw it at Goodwood yesterday - awesome sound and I’m starting to regret having not accepted the chance to buy 1... :-( bravo and congrats to all that have got 1 coming

George330, stavura, R J and 4 others like this.
  21. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    You know, that is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw the car. Objectively it is an insane purchase. Almost 5 times the cost of the donor car, for a special body, impracticality and limited numbers? Then you take one look at the thing and you think “this is what Ferrari is about: beautiful, illogical, emotional”. It is an old school Ferrari purchase and it will stand the test of time as there will always be buyers for it...even more so as cars acquire Turbos, filters, batteries and your stallion becomes an appliance (or is it application? Or both?)...all it needs is a few more SP1/2 appearing on the streets...!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat [/QUOTE]

JTSE30, Caeruleus11, Tenney and 5 others like this.
  22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    [/QUOTE]

So we can deduce Icona is the legit Ferrari range hidden inside the mainstream production ..

23. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Thank you for posting the pictures, it looks like the helmets are well above the back of the bumps behind the passengers, so is there additional roll protection that deploys if needed (a la Merc SL) or is that it?