throttle cable help? | FerrariChat

throttle cable help?

Discussion in '308/328' started by fastfred, Oct 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastfred

fastfred Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    antioch calif.
    Full Name:
    fred pedersen
    my 1988.5 328 GTS just started to have a sticky throttle cable and i mean it sticks to the floor, i lubed everything that i could but its still doing it..it seems to be the cable, i tried to pull back on the pedal and that does not help.....so does anyone have a idea on what i can do?....

2. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    If it is sticking when disconnected at both ends, chances are the cable is frayed and is starting to come apart. Replace the cable before you do some real damage.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If it breaks, you will end up limping home by jamming something in the throttle to hold the revs at 2000 rpm or so. Have done that with a Dino 246GT. Lucky that you got some warning. No warning on mine. It just broke. Not too difficult to replace. You then just have to fiddle with the adjustments so the cable does not affect idle but has no slack when depressed.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

4. fastfred

fastfred Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    antioch calif.
    Full Name:
    fred pedersen
    thank you guys for the input... i just did a quick search and could not find a new cable anyone have a lead on one for a 1988.5 328 GTS.....again thank you all

5. fastfred

fastfred Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    antioch calif.
    Full Name:
    fred pedersen
    thank you all for your input and i did find a new accelerator cable at t. Rutland's for $100.00 shipped, not bad at all,now i have figurer out how to install? again does anyone have any install tips?....

6. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Attach thin fishing line to old cable and pull the cable out into cockpit. Attach line to new cable and pull it back though. Best to have 2 people, one on each end.

7. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
  8. fastfred

fastfred Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    antioch calif.
    Full Name:
    fred pedersen
    thank you for that helpful info.....

9. fastfred

fastfred Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2004
    antioch calif.
    Full Name:
    fred pedersen
  10. VicJano

VicJano Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    Kingston upon Thames
    Full Name:
    Chris O'Connor
    Hi Taz,

My Dino GTS thottle cable broke recently. Would you mind giving me a quick summary of what needs to be done to replace it please. I want to see if its worth me trying to do it - got the tools but not the space.
    Chris

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Vic- To be honest, that was in 1976, so the details are really fuzzy. I traded her for a Daytona in 1978.

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Disconnect the throttle cable at the throttle housing, and unscrew the end from the cable.
    Remove the oil filter, cross over vent pipe from the two heads, reach under the intake housing and loosen the locknut of the cable against the underside of the intake. Unscrew the cable tensioner piece.
    Undo anything holding the cable to the front valve cover.
    From inside the car, remove the carpet at the driver side, and remove any trim pieces covering the throttle pedal housing, including the center console front piece.
    Undone the cable from its attachment point.
    Remove the cable from the car at the engine.
    With the new cable, start at the engine side, insert the cable into it channel until the cable reaches the bottom of the car. Crawl under the car and feed the end into the channel going to the front. Feed the rest of the cable through.
    Connect the two ends. Tensioner it right. Put the trims, oil filter, hose back.

13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I once had this horrible experience when I was at the stop light and as soon as the light turned green, I accelerated to about 4K + RPM on first gear and when I took my foot off the gas pedal to shift to 2nd gear, my throttle got stuck at around 4K + RPM and wouldn’t go back, I immediately turned the engine off and coast to the side of the road. After looking around to see what went wrong, I found that my accelerator cable on the pedal end was frayed. Good thing I always bring my tool bag with all sorts of part including a spring. So here’s what I did so the gas pedal would come back every time I accelerate. I was 60 miles from home but made it home with no problem, I then change the cable few days after.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You know what the problem is? That bling bling carbon fiber piece gave the whole car a bad vibe.

miketuason likes this.
  15. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    But... but... but... RACE CAR! :)

16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Really? It actually performs better than the stock ribbed hose as this one doesn’t create the air flow turbulence. The smooth flow of this makes a difference at high speed, plus it looks good to me and that’s all that matters. Capish?

17. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    I made a video of replacing the throttle cable on my 85 QV...hope it helps the greater good!

Milkshaker0007 and miketuason like this.
  18. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Make sure you also replace the clutch cable before they are no longer available, My clutch cable went before my accelerator cable had the chance , so I replaced that as well at the same time, now Im good to go for another 30 years.

Thank you