Power window fix | FerrariChat

Power window fix

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bob massaroni, Jul 7, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bob massaroni

bob massaroni Rookie

May 26, 2019
    Hanover PA
    Full Name:
    bob massaroni
    My passenger side window is dead. I have a 1990 348. I believe it is just a switch. Anyone know if this is an easy fix and how expensive it may be? Are there after market switches that work ?

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do the switches on both doors for the passenger window not work?

3. bob massaroni

bob massaroni Rookie

May 26, 2019
    Hanover PA
    Full Name:
    bob massaroni
    No, the drivers side works. The pass side has been real slow going for the last few weeks until it finally stopped

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Let me rephrase my answer. I was asking not if the driver's window worked, but the passenger's window worked using the window switches on either door.

Is the passenger windows slow compared to the driver's or is operation intermittent? i.e. Do you have to wiggle the switch to get the window to work or does the window just move slowly. If the latter, it's probably more likely to be a tired motor or sticky mechanism.

I don't have a 348 but, looking at the wiring diagrams, when you push one of the passenger window switches, power from the passenger window fuse has to travel through three switch contacts (moved and unmoved) on the passenger and driver's sides to complete the motor circuit. Have you compared the movement of the window going up and down using driver's door and passenger's door switches?

Here's the diagram:

Windows Wiring Diagram (F348)

Here's the power/control path of the passenger window being commanded down using the passenger door switch:

Power comes into the passenger window control switch on pin (3), then exits on pin (1), then goes to the window motor. From the motor, the power goes to pin (5) through the moved down switch contacts then exits the switch on pin (2). From pin (2), the power runs across the car to the driver's door passenger switch pin (1) through the unmoved contacts of the up switch to pin (2), then jumps to pin (4) to earth.

From reading posts on the F348/F355 forum, I get the impression that the switches are physically different. If you do buy a switch, makee sure you are buying and changing the right switch.