If you were a rodent... | FerrariChat

If you were a rodent...

Discussion in '308/328' started by F129b, May 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    where would you go to die in a '88 328GTS?

This is my fathers car. Car is in WA state and me & my tools are here in Orange county. I am a 355 owner, reasonably wrench-handy with my car after all these years..but ive never taken a 328 apart at all. Im going to see dad this weekend and want to take a crack at solving this in the limited time i have.

The stench only comes when the car is moving & air is moving through. Otherwise you dont smell it. If any 328 owners/wrenches can tell me where & how to start looking, i/we would appreciate it!

2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Look around the front firewall— brake master cyl/booster etc. I have had several cars where this was their home.

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Had a packrat take up residence for a short time in my old 84 GTB QV. Pull the cover in the left corner trunk area and look under the control modules.

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I had mice front and back. Pull the boot (trunk) seal off, pull out the Christmas tree clips, and take the entire carpet out. You'll be able to see through the fibreglass if they've nested in the paper wadding heat insulation. Pull the rear tray out in the front where the spare is (7-8 self tappers) to expose the heater pipes, brake booster, and air ducting. They can eat through the fabric-over metal-spiral ducting and get... anywhere - the bastards can use it like a super highway. Check way down between the guard and the side of the footwell - ask me how I know :mad:

derekw and knocker like this.
  5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I would check the 4" hoses coming from the blower motors, lots of room and would fit your symptoms .

Jdubbya and Rifledriver like this.
  6. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Albert-LP and dinoart like this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Very common. Hose usually has a tear somewhere big enough for them.

Albert-LP likes this.
  8. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thank you all, truly appreciated!

Are said 4” blower hoses accessible under the frunk liner? Any direction is appreciated since I’d like to be in and out.
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Never mind..I see this ? was answered in an above response.
    I’ll post back after I’ve had a go at it.
    Thank y’all again!

10. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  11. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    #11 Saabguy, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Just to be clear, if you can get under the front of the car you can see part of them where they connect to the blowers, one on each side. Otherwise you need to drill out the rivets that hold the spare tire housing in place and remove it to allow you to see the full run.

As a test, turn on the heater fans with the vents open and see if you smell the smell.

Lester

12. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    Also, you are not looking for big holes, you are looking for holes. Even if the hole is small, they will get in.
    Peter

13. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Well...
    I removed wads of “nesting material” from under master cylinder and A pillars. There was also the same smelly material behind rear aspect of (front) fender liners going back into rocker panel recessed. Smell is gone! Never found a carcass.
    Thank you to all!
    This is a really nice car now Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey, derekw and Pero like this.
  14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Martin308GTB and Pero like this.
  15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Also be careful if the droppings are fresh. Hantavirus is no joke. According to the CDC the virus is dead in a few hours exposed to sunlight and under a week indoors. While rare, this virus has a 40% death rate.

BigTex likes this.
  16. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
  17. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  18. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    My cat once went 'missing' for 3 days, then I went in the garage - and there he was; I went "ARTY! So there you are!" He thought, Dad, at last!' I went "You're on my Ferrari's roof", he thought 'Oh-Oh, I'm on his Ferrari's roof'.... and then there was a Wile-E-Coyote moment as his paws scrabbled to get grip on the shiny roof, followed by a flash as he bolted out the door - leaving a bunch of scratches on said Ferrari (400GT) roof. :(

He was forgiven once the mess had been polished out.

wax and Martin308GTB like this.
  19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    They seem to enjoy life inside your engine bay. So why should you find a carcass :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The big tomcat that is Rodent Control Officer at my family house does this often, but I can't be mad at him: I like cats too much for that. Cats do whatever they like, they have their own agenda. Actually it is not "my" cat (in so far as a cat can be the cat of someone, it works rather the other way around: "dogs have masters, cats have valets") I don't know whose cat it is, probably from one of my neighbors; he lives mostly in the garden of the family house, but comes after a few minutes whenever I am in that house. Easy-going cat, a wonderful companion. And catches lots of mice...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ray F likes this.
  21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I was told by a friend that a specific new model of Renault has cables and isolations made with a new material that is somehow (don't ask me how, 'cos I don't know) incorporating some form of corn, and that rodents are delighted with it...

Rgds

Martin308GTB likes this.
  22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Given the fact, that such an idea comes from Renault -I assume PSA follows similar paths- it does not really surprise me :)
    And oh yes, I know of different 'biocompatible' plastics with corn ingredients.
    I'm sure the time will come, when parts are no more working we won't scrap them but eat them :)

Best
    Martin

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Starting with the timing belts...so you could have a "Timing Belts fricassée" every two years; or three years, or five years...
    Rgds

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    A Ghost Buster too!?

25. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    I heard some manufacturers are using an insulating material that is soy based. A rabbit made a feast of the engine wiring harness in my 2001 Dodge Durango. Waskaly wabbits!