Thoughts on this 2010 458? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on this 2010 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by HX_Guy, Jul 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Wanted to see if I can get some opinions on this 2010 Ferrari 458 that I'm looking at.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=492169992

It checks off a lot of the boxes I'm looking for, with a couple dislikes/concerns.

• Carbon bits everywhere! (Front spoiler, rear diffuser, side skirts, dash, center tunnel, steering wheel, engine bay)
    • Under 15,000 miles
    • Front axle lifter
    • Backup camera
    • Parking sensors
    • Red exterior
    • Black interior
    • Under $175k

Dislikes:
    • 2010 - seems 2012+ are the models to look for?
    • The seats - would really like the carbon race seats, but I can probably compromise here
    • VF Engineering Tuning & Exhaust - this could be a good thing, but could it also mean it was driven too hard?

I ran a Carfax and it came in clean (no accidents or anything else of concern), though 5 owners.
    First couple owners had it for about 2 years each, third owner for about 5 months, 4th owner for about a year and 5th owner for about 2 years. Oddly it shows as "Dealer inventory" since 01/18/2018 (a year and a half??). Also no records of service being done, which should also be a concern I would think?

2. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    You can get the service history from your dealer of trust, if the car has been serviced by Ferrari.

3. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
    Maybe, maybe not.

4. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    It’s loaded with all the goodies (except the seats) but I think $175 is above market for a 2010. Ferrari of Atlanta has a couple red 2012’s (standard interior and seats, though) with 17k miles at $162 and $170 plus they are CPO’d. Depends on what is most important to you. A slightly lower price would make it a lot more reasonable to me. Regarding the years, lots of advice, opinions and experience on here to search.

I just did the same research and ended up buying a 2013, loaded minus race seats and black over black. 9200mi. $184.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  5. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    It's actually listed at $169,000, but that is a little high as well Im thinking. Can probably be negotiated down Im thinking closer to $160k.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  6. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Any other thoughts? :)

7. DefunctNeurons

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I would get a Ferrari Powertrain warranty just to be safer. Gearbox sensors are the only major issue I’ve read about on these cars, especially the early ones.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Lots of options and low miles makes price a little more attractive. $160k would be a good price considering this car. I have a 458 coupe and wish I waited and got a spider after selling my 360 Spider. You will love the car. Good luck.

9. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Can the Ferrari Powertrain Warranty be added to any Ferrari? Are there limitations on age/mileage? Also would the fact that the car is modified affect it (VF Engineering Tuning & Exhaust). Thanks for the feedback.

10. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    are those aftermarket wheels? never seen them on 458s before. I know that area not somewhere you expect a ferrari to turn up, need a good PPI that's for sure.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    I rented a 458 Spider a few months back and loved it, but being in AZ its way too hot for me in the summer to go down down and winter its too cold ha.
    Ive never really been one to drive around with the sunroof open (bought my current car (Tesla Model S) without a sunroof specifically even) or even windows down. Plus love the look of the engine back there on the Coupe.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  12. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Not sure on the wheels. Kind of wary on the dealership myself - reached out by email a couple days ago, no reply. Called yesterday as well and no answer, went to voicemail. Looks like this should probably be a pass. :/

of2worlds likes this.
  13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    seems a bit high on the price considering the mileage and year. when i bought mine the dealership was able to track down service records for me. kind of a hit or miss type of thing. also don't know if you can get it CPO'ed or warranty if it has been modified. the interior with the red inserts and yellow belts makes me a bit dizzy but that is subject of course.

14. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019
  15. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Really keen on a black interior, thank you though.

16. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    I found a 2011 458 Coupe, Certified Pre Owned with only 7,164 miles. Red exterior, black interior with Carbon Race seats, Carbon steering wheel, Carbon side sills and front/rear parking sensors. $179k.

Those are the good parts. Bad parts is no front lifter, no rear camera, no Carbon dash or center tunnel.

I can overlook the rear camera...probably. I really wanted the Carbon dash and tunnel though and the front lifter is a must I feel. :/ CPO and only 7,164 miles sure is nice though.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Heard back from the dealership selling the 2010, they dont seem to know much about the car. Salesman stating that the car was acquired by his business partner from a client. They did say that with a deposit and agreement to purchase the car, a PPI can be done at a Ferrari dealership and if the inspection results are unacceptable, the deposit would be refunded.

Also confirmed that the vehicle has in fact been on their lot since January 2018. That's super concerning that no one has picked it up by now.

I really like the specs of the car but feel a bit uneasy about the dealership and process. Buying would a Ferrari dealership would be a much less stressful process I'm thinking, especially if CPO.

of2worlds and dustman like this.
  18. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Those wheels are the stock 488 wheels. Cast and super heavy (about 30lb/wheel)!

19. DefunctNeurons

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    After having my 458 for a grand total of 2 weeks I can comfortably state that the lifter hasn’t been used at all. My driveway is not steep but my F430 was much closer to hitting than this is. I definitely bottomed on some speed bumps and steep inclines in the F430, which was lowered slightly. The 458 at stock height is no worse than my M3!

20. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    My driveway suuucks and my Model S has maybe 1" of clearance from bottoming out (standard coil suspension). I may be able to get by with coming in at an angle in a 458 but not sure. I dont know, maybe if I find the perfect one that has everything but that I could over look it.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    While you may like the look of the carbon rear diffuser, you should be aware that it is very easily damaged. I tend to consider the diffuser fins on 458's and 488's wear items. If you take the car out on the back roads for a good spirited drive, especially in a place where the roads are not very flat, it is not uncommon to wack the diffuser fins now and again. On the 458 Spider even more so, as the car is heavier and the suspension is quite a bit softer than the suspension found in the Italia, 488GTB/Spider.
    If you only cruise it and only push it on flat tracks, it's not much of a concern. But if you like to take it out for a Sunday morning flogging on empty roads where things can get bumpy, I'd advise against the CF rear diffuser. Same if you live in a place where getting in and out of driveways, gas stations or the like, can present a challenge. Scraping the rear diffuser on a 458/488 is much more likely than the front.
    It looks cool and all, but I honestly think that particular item is more show than go.
    If you think the CF seats are what you really want, look for a car with those. I personally think they are more comfy, and you sit deeper and more "in-the-car" with those. The standard seats puts you up quite high, and I actually find that they get more uncomfortable as the minutes tick by. The CF seats also gives you a better connection with the car.
    Find a car with the seats you want. That's where you'll sped the time in the car, so not a good place to compromise.

Lastly. A 2010 car with that few miles is to me, much less appealing than say a 2013 car with 25k miles. A well maintained car that has seen some regular use, but no abuse, is a pretty safe deal.
    The fact that it has been on the lot for 1,5 years would make me pass on it. These cars don't like to sit, and in combination with what looks like a too high price, makes it a complete no-go in my book.
    Look for a car that ticks all the boxes, and don't let a bit of milage scare you. Maintenance and usage is the important things, not the lowest possible miles.

22. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Thanks for the reply, approbate it.

Im definitely not afraid of miles, to me the wear is really the most important part when it comes to age of the car. Ive seen online photos of cars with sub 10,000. miles where the dash buttons (and the reverse button in particular) was showing major signs of wear. I definitely want the interior and exterior to be in excellent condition, the amount of miles on the car/engine is not as much of a priority. having said that, typically though the lower mileage cars will have less wear and feel newer.

I also agree with you on the seats. I LOVE the carbon seats, and would definitely choose that over a carbon diffusor or carbon engine bay. But I need the steering wheel, dash and center tunnel in carbon. Also to add, the 458 I rented back in February, which I fell in love with (first and only Ferrari I've ever driven, was a birthday day present from my wife) had the carbon seats, so I probably shouldn't get away from this seats if I want the same feeling I had in that car.

Regarding that particular 2010 car, I did get some additional information from the dealer. They *say* the car hasn't literally sat for 1.5 years, its driven semi regularly and garaged. Also the car is fully wrapped with protective film. I told him I thought the price was about $10k high, he said is they think the price is fair but they would welcome an offer and would consider it.

of2worlds likes this.