Rear carbon ceramic rotor damaged? | FerrariChat

Rear carbon ceramic rotor damaged?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by chris-w, Jul 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chris-w

chris-w Rookie

May 1, 2013
    London
    Driving my F12 this weekend I noticed a rotational squeak coming out of the rear right brake disk, its as though its slightly warped and squeaks every time disk reaches the same section in rotation.

I decided to have an inspection myself to check for any possible trapped pebbles etc and noticed the rotor has a gouge taken out of it in the middle ventilation section (not on the from or rear braking face)

Not 100% sure this is causing the noise and or if there is an amount of tolerance on these disks. I have a feeling that a dealer is going to immediately advise me a new disk needs to be installed which doesn't sound appealing as they are big $$.

Anyone have experience with these ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Sounds crazy but I thought i had same issue in my fff and ended up being the rattling from the seat belt dispenser or the light in the rear - not sure if f12 has those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. chris-w

chris-w Rookie

May 1, 2013
    London
    Haha, err its not a rattling its a very identifiable CCR squeak that is much more prominent when driving slow and if driving next to a wall or another vehicle much louder. It squeaks on every rotation of the wheel.

4. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Not quite seeing the gouge in that pic. With it being so shiny and reflective, the disc sure looks new.

5. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I don't see anything wrong with that disk

6. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I thought it was just me. I don’t see it either....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deltona likes this.
  7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Same - which is why suggested the alternate culprit.

8. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I can't see anything on it either. You might try bedding the brakes to see if that helps.

9. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Cc brakes squeak for the most minor imperfection. A small grain of sand can get imbedded on the pad and do it. Try moving in reverse and brake hard a few times and see if it clears it.If not then
    More than likely the pads may need replacing but sometimes paste on the pads can sometimes solve the problem

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. Zedtt

Zedtt Formula Junior

May 29, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Damage being referred to is in the area between the front and rear disk surfaces.

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The arrow points to the ventilation hole but it is in shadow in that image. We can't see a gouge that way. Try posting a different pic with the light source directly from bottom or top of disc to show the surface imperfection you suspect that way we can see compared to ours.

12. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    For future reference, I had a similar noise that was traced to the right rear wheel. After some coaching from a fellow Fchat member, I removed the rear disc and found 3 of the 4 electronic parking brake springs had failed (probably one retainer spring let go causing the others to fail). If you have strange noises coming from the wheel with the EPB, I'd definitely recommend having a look. There's a brief video clip on youtube from Autovlog showing them having to replace one of these springs as well, leading me to suspect spring failures are not all that uncommon.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

kenwidmerpool and dustywusty like this.
  13. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    The gauge OP is referring too is the manufacturing gauge down during manufacturing process to balance the disk. Totally normal and certainly not the reason for the squeaking noise.