355 - Bradan F355 service and paint. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 Bradan F355 service and paint.

Discussion in '348/355' started by BRADAN, Jun 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deuce49

deuce49 Karting

Sep 25, 2011
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    BC
    Awesome, what bushings are you using for the 355?

2. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    Superformance uk kit

3. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Oh wow, things just got pricy

Can it be just polished? do they make .010 over bearings for the 355?

BRADAN likes this.
  4. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Yup, it sure did. Except it's more like P-R-I-C-E-Y, not merely pricey. But there's really no good choice. It has to be right. I don't plan to sell the car any time soon - or at least until I get too old to shoehorn myself into the car. So while it's painful, and a bit disappointing, it's not a crippling feeling.

I sure as hell hope that it can be polished, but they do make bearings 0.010 over. I know that Superformance sells them. I'm sure others do as well.

5. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You'll have to take it out to Cars and Coffee at the Avenues when you get it back.

climb likes this.
  6. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    We will understand if you change your FChat name to "Maalox". :rolleyes:

BRADAN and malex like this.
  7. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I'm still trying to digest how a 44K mile car can show this much engine wear. Was this car raced? Was it serviced regularly? I've had engines with 100K on them apart and most didn't exhibit this much wear. At least your car is in good hands and you can hopefully enjoy many worry-free miles. :)

Pangea likes this.
  8. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    It's definitely odd. No other parts of the engine exhibit the wear (e.g. valve guides, cylinder walls etc); just the lower end bearings. And I believe it's more the crank bearings than the rod bearings, though Dan can chime in if I'm incorrect.

Dan and I spoke about it before the 4th holiday. The car doesn't appear to have been raced, though could've seen some track days. It could've been serviced with the incorrect oil, though I'd be surprised if that alone would cause this much wear, or even if the wrong oil were used enough times to cause premature wear. It could've been deferred service, except that the car came with a 3-ring binder of service history. So the cause remains a mystery right now.

BRADAN likes this.
  9. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Sounds good Ken. I'll probably also bring the car to the Ponte Vedra Auto Show in Nocatee. It's mid-September.

10. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    In my experience, racing has nothing to do with bearing wear. The oil is at it peak performance with plenty of pressure to keep those bearings fully oiled. If there was any metal on metal contact, you would inevitably spin a bearing immediately
    No, bearing damage comes from lack of adequate oil, usually at start up. I'd much rather have an engine thats been started and driven a few times a week, rather than one with a fraction of the miles thats has sat for weeks without a starting. Just imagine how dry the bearings are after a month or two with out driving? The oil may even drain out of the pump causing a few additional seconds of metal on metal. (<--not sure if the 355 is vulnerable to this, but many engines are depending on the location of the pump.)

BRADAN and krazykarguy like this.
  11. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Lots of Midwest / East Coast cars will sit for 4 months or more having never been started until the weather warms up.

I try and start mine once a month and let it come to temp during the winter....but damn it gets cold in the garage when I do that.

BRADAN likes this.
  12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Seen much worse. No big deal.

BRADAN likes this.
  13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I would rather -not- have a car that's been started and ran a few times a week, unless properly warmed up every time (especially before heavy throttle/rpm). When I took apart the engine from my 59 Cadillac that was sitting for 35 years it was seized due to cylinder rust but there was still oil on all of the bearings.

My thought on it is, not enough people place importance on oil temp, especially with a high capacity dry sump engine. I've seen so many people throwing revs/going to redline on an ice cold engine and I think that is the more likely cause of accelerated wear. Would not expect to see that from racing.

GSF355, BRADAN, steved033 and 2 others like this.
  14. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    I fully understand the thought process on lack of oil on start up causing bearing wear but I don't agree thats what caused this. We have cars that have sat for 20-30 years that still have oil on every bearing, coolant/water just eats the motors alive.

I'm wondering if someone dragged in dirt around the oil filter housing when changing the oil. If you look around the filter contact area theres always sand and grime built up.

Pangea, johnk... and WATSON like this.
  15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yep. Looks like spomething got in there. See anything embedded in the bearing from that journal?

16. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    We hope it polishes out without cutting the crank.

17. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    No thats it.

18. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009