Asking rich people for advice | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Asking rich people for advice

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Martynas Zaleckis, Jun 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Yes I agree on that.... so by the same analogy, let’s use $2 mil net worth, one can only spend $200k - that person shouldn’t even own a new modern Ferrari or a McLaren or a Lambo (all being $250-300k+).
    One would have to be $3mil net worth to consider a $300k car?
    Still seems real tight. Couldn’t enjoy life that way.

Sent from my 16M

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If I had a 2 million net worth I would not get a Ferrari. That’s me personally. My net worth was higher, much higher when I got my first Ferrari.

3. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    This thread has been very good with a lot opinions. We have not heard from OP since the thread started. Just saying!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Smiles likes this.
  4. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    He's out grinding from all the good advice. I'm sure he'll report back when he gets a chance.

WM458 likes this.
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Hopefully he’s driving now.

6. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    What can I say? I’m a cautious guy. Haha!

But each person has to find their own level of comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SoCal to az likes this.
  7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Instead of owning a boat, I have friends that own boats. Much lower maintenance thst way lol.

2 million= Carrera GTS

Seen first hand people with boats, planes, 3 million dollar homes, and exotics lose everything through poor/risky investments, divorce or chronic illness.

8. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I quote what a wealthy Italian guy once said..The first 25 years of your life is for playing,the next 25 years is for working hard to make money and the next 25 years is for spending this money..In this order and not the other way round..
    I'm a 53 year old successful farmer who bought his first Ferrari(458 Italia) last December. I've worked very hard all my life, both physically and mentally and this Ferrari is my long term dream.Having said that i've owned countless Porsches from my first Boxster 2.7 in 2001 all the way through various 911s,Cayennes,Panameras,GT4,Spyder etc culminating in my next September 991.2GT3 RS WP..
    Its all about balance in life in terms of work and reward in the correct order...Start at the bottom of the ladder when young, work your way up while being clever and steady enough not to try and run up this life's ladder avoiding a fall back to the bottom rung..Steady as it goes is my motto..!

WM458 and italiafan like this.
  9. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    In my experience you will enjoy your Ferrari much more and it will mean a lot more to you if you work hard and achieve some goals in life. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a Ferrari (or anything else for the matter) that i couldn't really afford. I would feel it was a financial burden.

10. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Poor/risky investments(especially when using too much leverage), divorce, and chronic illness is exactly what makes it all tumble down... Not spending 13%, or 15% of your net worth on toys instead of the steadfast 10% rule (or some people even follow the 5% rule)

Even if you only spend 5% of your net worth on toys... Poor/aggressive investments, divorce, or especially chronic illness can easily make everything come crashing down.

If a Ferrari (or anything else) means a lot to you, then make it happen, you only have one life to live... You aren't going to be on your death bed thinking "why did I spend an extra 3.5 base points of my net worth to make my dreams come true" If anything, you'll be thinking the opposite...

Now this goes out the window if you must leave a giant legacy behind... But personally, I much rather enjoy my life to the fullest then leave my kids millions of dollars.

Now I'm not saying if you can't afford the car to go finance it and to hell with the consequences.... I just had to comment on this whole 5% or 10% rule that most people seem to follow.

I used to be one of those people... If anything I was a little too conservative in my younger years and wish I would of taken more vacations or bought my dream cars earlier compared to just having some extra shekels in my bank account. If I could go back I'd gladly trade a couple hundred thousand for some more cherished memories, I just need to find my trusty time machine :)

dustman likes this.
  11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Probably trying to work out how the hell that hedge fund guy got his cash together ..then ended up in deep poo despite having plenty (too many?) of 'toys', 727 etc etc.;)

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Spending for cherished memories is often fruitless since by the time they are truly cherished, you are too old to remember them.

13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    No one can predict health/illness, accidents or even if seemingly guaranteed investments go south. You're going to be a lot worse off having 15% of your net worth in "toys" than 5%.

Good luck trying to flip 15% of net worth in cars, planes, and boats when you're scrambling to pay for hospitalizations.

Hindsight is 20/20. If anything you should be grateful you've been in good heatlh from your "younger years" until now. If you had suffered a severe, debilitating illness then wishing you had taken more vacations or bought your dream cars earlier would be the last thing you'd have regret about.

Just saying.

SoCal to az likes this.
  14. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you're going through a devastating experience like trying to pay for hospital bills that are significantly higher than your net worth then it doesn't matter if you spent 5%, 7.5%, 10%, or even 13.5% on toys is what I'm saying.

On some investment forums I frequent I see it all too much where everyone strives to be the richest person in the graveyard. You'll see people bragging about what minuscule percentage of their net worth is spent on various aspects of their life or how they strive to have a safe withdrawal rate of something silly like 1%-2%.

They'll be the ones that argue how anyone who spends more than X% on this or Y% on that is an ignoramus and destined to be eating alpo in their retirement regardless of their portfolio size.

To each his own.

dustman likes this.
  15. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    That’s a great line
    I don't want to be that guy

Interesting discussion here about how much to allocate for toys

16. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m not even 50. Long way from the graveyard and while I don’t want to leave a large legacy for my kids, I also don’t want to bounce my last check before I die.

There is a balance and besides the financial aspect of it, there is a bit of maturity that comes from saving up the money and being patient to buy your dream car. A 20 year old making 60k a year can buy a Ferrari but you have no money for anything else.

I certainly wish I was more successful when I was younger to be able to afford the car but honestly in looking back- I have no regrets in how I bought my car(s)

steved033 and Surfah like this.
  17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Given what I have seen on the other threads with regards to Health care there in the USA better to have all your insurances taken care of even before considering a toy.

18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

I think everyone on this forum that owns Ferrari aren’t too worried about paying for health insurance Dundee. Quit trolling looking for another “how great my countries health insurance is compared to yours” fight. It’s getting old buddy.

19. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Sorry Mods, delete this. Forgot which forum I was in. Ooopsie

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Wait guys...are you telling me that even if I don’t put miles on my cars they aren’t appreciating assets!?
    LOL.
    :D

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    For me money is a tool to buy freedom.
    It all depends how you define freedom.

tomc likes this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Btw...on another week long roadtrip with my college son... driving through western Georgia to NC mountains...gorgeous countryside...liely 2500+ miles..458 Spider should top 30K miles on this trip.
    Ferraris are for memories.
    He’s driving 2018 Porsche GT3 manual...good times!

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Oh...yes that 104F is accurate (Porsche read the same temp)...and the top was down!

24. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Got me beat! Cali had only driven in 102 F.

Nice part of the country to drive in.

T

25. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    Very good post. Quite comparable to my cars ownership history.
    Everything needs some time. Every dream can become true If things go the right way.
    It is dangerous to vaste dreams early in a lifetime.
    They may never come back.