Mondial headlights and much more.. | FerrariChat

Mondial headlights and much more..

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by cianfichi, Jul 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Hello folks I'm Vince and I'm a first time Ferrari owner. Recently got my 86 Mondial 3.2 eurospec. Time to start sorting out some bugs, more than I'd like but I have to start somewhere..

First thing.. So the headlights arent working. Details: I've checked the stalk and it appears to be on correctly. The ball bearing is where its supposed to be. Wires are soldered. I take the plastic cover off and separate the two copper contacts - nothing happens. This is all with the key in the ignition and turned forward. Next, I twist the headlight motor knobs to manually raise the headlights - once they start cranking up about an inch the motor takes over, the units raise up, then retract, and nothing else. So the motors do work. The lights do not come on. Also, turn signals do not work. Trunk lights are inop. Brake lights DO work. All fuses not only look good but appear new and must have been recently replaced.

The headlight thing baffles me. Could be a relay or something in the steering wheel column I guess. Anybody have any ideas as to whats going on here?

Thanks ahead!!

2. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I have owned my QV going on 8 years. When you turn the park lights on the headlights raise and are not on. Flip the stalk down and the buckets go down and the headlights come on. Flip to high beam and they stay down. I ain't gonna let it get the best of me. I'll get it one of these years

3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Can you give us the relais position and numbers on them ....there is an error in the manual that switched 2 relais numbers...
    Guido

4. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Hello Guido,
    Here is a pic of the fuse box layout in my owners manual. Relay B, D and E are for headlamp lifting motors. B, D and E =Bosch 0332204101 The relays look aged. Relay L and M for low and high beams is Bosch 0332014113 Pictures attached.. Does this help you? Which 2 relay numbers are switched?

There is no normal operation of headlight motors, and no headlights.

Vince

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #5 theunissenguido, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Seems ok to me....like on the picture below ; purple has to be 101 and brown has to be 113.
    Can you switch the relais from place, 101 to one other 101 and 113 to an other 113....to check if 1 relais isnt ok.
    In the manuals I have relais t is the upper right one, u the lower second right one with switched numbers. Your manual looks ok to me.

Guido

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Hello Guido,
    I have yet to do this. Which relays do you suggest I switch?
    Thanks,
    Vince

7. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I would start with those white colored connectors on the fuse box. Remove them and spray contact cleaner on both sides. Also, have a good look at the metal contacts inside the connectors. Sometimes they become bent open over time, and do not make the connection. You can carefully bend them back so they work properly.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Do u want the wiring diagram ?

9. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Hi Mike yes please send the wiring diagram.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    An e mail would help

11. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Dm sent thanks Mike

12. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    You take a 101 relais and replaces it with an other 101 from you board, the same with 113 relais you change with an other 113 from you board. Dont ever spray products on the plastic layers side of your board...that will ruin it completly !
    Guido

13. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    UPDATE:
    Directional and headlights work now. The culprit was a disconnected wire harness under the steering column. The car came to me that way. Im not sure why. Keeping an eye out for battery draw now...

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Vince

theunissenguido likes this.
  14. kitreid

kitreid Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Hi Vince....Could I bother you for a pic of the harness you found under the dash? I have the exact seem issue

15. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Just a note, the trunk "lights" are just clear lenses on the inner surface of the tail lights, so they never really work. If the tail lights are on, the trunk is lit up. Yes, I think very strange. At least that's how it is for my 3.2 Cab.

16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    You're lucky - the QV only have a hole in the cover :D