Registering a car in Georgia, the ad valorum tax | FerrariChat

Registering a car in Georgia, the ad valorum tax

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by aslowdodge, Jul 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Can someone help me. I’m looking to register a 2005 f430.
    the ad valorum tax calculator has the car valued at 214k even though I’m paying 90k. The tax they want is 15k to register the used car in Georgia. Has anyone in Georgia death with this? Did you just suck it up and pay tax based on their incorrect value?

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    They don't care what you paid, they go by some guide that tells them what the car SHOULD be worth. I dealt with this when I moved here 7 years ago. I had just bought two cars in Florida and paid the Florida sales tax. It doesn't matter, and you get no credit for out of state tax paid when you move to GA. It has kept me in the same sports car for 8 years, I am not paying that tax every few years!

I don't know any way around it.

:(
    BT

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  4. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    The use the NADA values. NADA claims 113,700 low retail,
    149,500 average retail, 164,500 high retail, Those numbers seem high unless it was a scuderia.

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I’ve negotiated that tax several times. Depending on what county dmv you go to, they may let you pay the tax based on the purchase price...claim it has some issues or whatever. If you are buying from a dealer who’s adding the tax into your loan, that’s a different ball game.

7. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    I've read the ad valorem. It just seems on high end cars Nada is overestimating the value and Georgia owners are paying a 10 to 15% tax on a used car.

8. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Redneck, how did you negotiate. Was it a written submission form or did you go in person? I'm in Cobb county. The clerk said to pay the full amount and fill out a dispute form meaning they hold all the money. If written will they let you bring in supporting paperwork? The car is from a dealer so the amount paid will be stated and not made up by me ad private seller. The sale amount will show $86,600.
    Thanks

9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i've never had a problem with a BoS private party in cobb county. in fact, in two occasions the number the dmv lady had was lower and she used that one

10. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    #10 aslowdodge, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Was it on a high end car?
    I had no problem with my used Lexus and ford f150, the value was close enough. But they look up the value on a ferrari or lamborghini and it comes out way higher

11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I went in person and brought paperwork and printed values, etc. I didn't negotiate on my ferrari though, they only valued it at $32k (99 360 in 2016) so I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Their value on your 430 is nuts. There should be enough supporting info out there (market values, asking prices, etc.) To show that car isn't valued near what they are stating.

12. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    last big money car i bought was a speedster. the old stuff no longer has titles....

call peter @ musclecarjr he's an old PCA guy that now plays a car broker / dealer in retirement. he can help...

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    #13 RedNeck, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    OK, you may be in better shape than I though. I just did a quick experiment with the TAVT calulator...when I put in my car info (99 360), it came up with a value of 131000, when I used my VIN, it came back with a value of $29,000...when I put in a 205 430, it came back with a value of 214000, when I used a random VIN, it referred me to the NADA value,which is around $150k. I would say,do the taxes yourself if you can and bring your paperwork with your purchase price. If Cobb doesn't want to play nice, maybe come up to my little hick county and see if they will (not sure how that works if it's a different county).

https://eservices.drives.ga.gov/_/

14. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    thats why i posted the link above. that site posted uses the maximum value. whatever that means

15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    on a 2005 430 the 214000 is probably the original new car list price .. there must be an error in there system ...

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I am in GA, and one of the reason I stopped going through cars like people change socks is the ad-velorum tax law changed. Atlanta has the final say, as they process the title. They can and will re-bill you if you try to renegotiate at the county level.

Georgia is using inflated NADA values, and they do not care what you paid or what the market value is.

**** I would love to freaking hear from a legal professional how the State can levy a tax on citizens using "NADA Values" which is a privately owned web service and NOT a legal tax or regulatory entity! ****

I wanted to get a 2006 or so Maserati GranSport about 2 years ago.
    Found several for sale by DEALERS for $17- $20k. (Some were in Atlanta !)

Ga DMV valued the cars at over $40k and were applying the 8% tax on that value.

I sought help at the local level. (Tax Assessors office: Abercorn, Savannah Ga).
    I talked to a title service.
    I talked to 3 people in the Atlanta DMV.

They said you will pay this or you will not register that car here.

And they can re bill you after the fact if they *think* you did not pay enough.

They may even wait until your "birthday renew date" to try to collect back taxes.

How this crap is legal is beyond me.

Good luck.

anunakki likes this.
  17. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    When I went to the Georgia State site and filled in the information with no vin on the TAVT calculator it said the car was worth 213,750 for a 2005 f430 even though it asks how much paid which I put in the actual amount of 87,000.
    With the Vin entered the result is
    NADA Value
    We are unable to retrieve a fair market value for your vehicle. In order for us to estimate your TAVT, you will need to determine the NADA value for your vehicle and enter it in the field below.

The NADA site says
    113,700 low retail,
    149,500 average retail,
    164,500 high retail,

The TAVT tells you to enter the NADA value, I wonder which of the three it will ask for. I can guess

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I guess I'm wasting my time here. Just go down to the title office, do what they say and report back. Georgia isn't the only state to use fair market value to tax car purchases.

19. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yup. Same here in MA. Tax based on value RMV determines, not purchase price.

20. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    and they wonder why people register their cars in Montana.

21. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Yes, and Georgia has been going after people doing that here too. There are articles on it and they can apply up to Class C Tax Felony charges!

22. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Georgia is merely following the federal trend toward taxing every penny of GDP until there is nothing left to tax. Government is insatiable in its quest for eternal power and control.

driller1, BT and Gman like this.
  23. LittleTino

LittleTino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 14, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Something is wrong there. I registered my '05 spider two years ago and they put a value of 135ish on it (even though) the sale price was a 10% less lower.

24. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and legally they cannot make that stick either....
    sounds like georgia state government is deep into rico territory

25. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    It takes time and money to fight them. They will allow an arbitration process to be executed but you cannot be in a hurry to use or drive the car. One guy locally with an odd exotic took 4 months and a title attorney in Atlanta to get his kit car registered. Was based on a Corvette with a regular VIN too!