Concours Correct 80mm Ventilation Duct Hose? | FerrariChat

Concours Correct 80mm Ventilation Duct Hose?

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Jul 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #1 synchro, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Does anyone know from prior experience where to obtain the correct 80mm ventilation duct hose made from paper/aluminum with a flat black exterior?

A fellow Dino owner suggested I try Car Builder Solutions in the UK and it looked great in the photos. On April 29th I placed an order for 3' of CDCT80 costing £37.50, and the checkout cart stated that shipping would be quoted in a separate email.

I waited.
    After 5 weeks and 3 emails with no response to my request for a shipping quote, I imagined the company had lost me in their circular file and I would never get my order so started a chargeback with my credit card. I then got this email from Matt at CBS

"Car Builder Solutions <[email protected]>
    Jun 4 at 1:18 PM
    Hi apologies for the delay, I had sent an invoice for the shipping on a couple of occasion for the the shipping but have just realised I had a typo in the email email address.
    I have just resent "

Shipping to USA was £31.00 GBP (yeah, almost the price of the item, but that is life), I paid immediately then 3 weeks later CBS shipped on June 28th and I waited for my 80mm duct hose. The package arrived in the USA on July 2 (Fast - Thank you) and upon opening saw it was 70mm (darn, wrong size) but is an absolute spot on replacement.

Crazier yet, Matt at Car Builder Solutions had secured my duct hose within a length of larger, 100mm duct hose, purely as a shipping safety measure.
    This larger hose was included out of kindness for shipping, was not ordered and I did pay for the 100mm hose. I see it is even MORE expensive than the product I did pay for, as CDCT100 costs £14.00 GBP/ft (wow!)
    https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/classic-style-paper-covered-aluminium-ducting-100mm-id

The stuff is so good/exact that I immediately placed an order on their website for 20' more, costing £250.00 GBP for the 80mm and emailed Matt these photos, complimenting him on the great quality but asking for the correct size this time and perhaps double checking with a measurement. I included the photos below clearly showing I received 70mm not 80mm

His response
    "Hi, thanks for the email, I'm pretty sure you got the correct item.
    The roll that it was cut from measures exactly 80mm ID.
    Thank you
    [email protected]
    "

One more polite email relaying understanding that "mix-ups" do occur and asking for him to double check the size followed by a sincere request to reconsider and allow me to purchase 20 ft of the same ended with Matt's response denying the sale:

"I obviously don't want to send another batch of the same stuff and get the same result.
    [email protected]
    "

A week later and Car Builder Solutions has not sent a shipping invoice so I believe this is a dead end.
    Anyone know an alternate source?

As you can see some of my ducting is old and crushed with PO overspray, placed there for comparison

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #2 synchro, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    BTW, The 100mm hose is correct for Dinos with AC for the AC fan output to triple dash vent ducting. Let me know if you need some.

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ferrarichat gets results!

I sent CBS a link to this post and within moments received a response

"Hi Scott......sorry for the delay. It seems there was a box mixup. you got the wrong order which is why I was confused. We had two orders one for 80, one for 70 & 100.

Guess what happened. ..."

Kind souls, understanding goes a long way and he is allowing me to buy Ventilation hose.
    This ducting is 100% concours correct and the only place I have seen it in decades

Does anyone else need some?

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Try moss motors, got mine there.

synchro likes this.
  5. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    Rutlands has 40 , 60, 80, and 100mm in stock now.

synchro likes this.
  6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Matt at Car Builder's Solution came through and I am forced to retire my original 80mm after I pressed and pushed one too many times. The new hose has identical manufacturing marks but I will miss the nostalgia of my OEM piece with original factory overspray...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login