The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette) | FerrariChat

The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Fireman1291, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Texas Forever and BLACK HORSE like this.
  2. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
  3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I hope it looks better in the metal or C9 may need to happen in August!

4. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    What can't Chevrolet understand about the relationship of the Corvette and round taillights?

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    There will be 15 at every cars and coffee within 3 months of the release. Real question is can men under the age of 65 afford it?

Edit: looks like instead of copying Ferrari they're trying to copy Lamborghini..

bertha01, VAF84, daytona355 and 3 others like this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    With just a rear view, it's very difficult to see how the lines of the car flow together. Let's wait and see.

7. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    still a big bang for the buck, probably the best value performance car out there

4ROARE, Juvendude, FerRrari and 10 others like this.
  8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I just don’t understand why Chevy wants an engine in the back. Porsche, Lambo and Ferrari seem to have a lock on that market. How about the Alfa Romeo C4 for less money.

I have never driven a modern Corvette that is fun to drive. Nor are they anything close to winsome in the eye department.

Confused in Colorado.

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  9. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Whether it flows together when we see the entire car or not I know two things. They are used to having unproportionally large rear ends, and they missed an opportunity to make a more "super car" like exhaust path.

I know they kept shattering the rear glass during testing because of torque and had to stiffen the frame in certain areas so even for a track toy I'd wait till year 2 or 3. And lets not forget the overheating issues they have with the front engine cars...It's going to be a hot mess lol.

I second the cars and coffee invasion...

Wikdstrate and daytona355 like this.
  10. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Chevrolet probably realizes that in order to cater to the upcoming, younger generation of Corvette buyers, they had to go mid-engine at some point. The same level of Corvette fandom from your typical, current crop of Vette owners, won't be there in a decade or so if they stayed status quo.

Even with used Vette prices being so reasonable, I still almost NEVER see anyone younger than 35 or so driving them. Plenty of those younger guys are buying up well-spec'd Stangs, Challengers, etc for the same price points, but hardly ever Vettes. It's almost bizarre how extreme the age gap seems to be with these cars.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I will agree that seeing a car in 3D is better than pictures, so many cars look better in person than in pictures.

The concern that I have is Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini.. they've all been making mid engine cars for years. They know the intricacies of the suspension and chassis and have dialed in the handling characteristics of their platforms to perform EXACTLY as they desire for a given driving situation. When you switch from a transaxle to a midengined platform.. are there deficiencies that you're not going to see in the platform that might need a generation or two to "iron out" as the car evolves. For example, will this new platform drive more like a lambo or a Ferrari. The Ferrari is more nimble at lower speeds as I've experienced whereas the Lambo comes alive at higher speeds... I wonder what types of accidents we'll read about in the next year. Will it be oversteer related at speeds under 80? Or will it be a snap over steer in the turns with idiots lifting the throttle mid turn? Going to be interesting...

Texas Forever and daytona355 like this.
  12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm an old guy, but I like front-engined cars. However, I don't do ugly.

BT, vrsurgeon and daytona355 like this.
  13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Bought mine at 32....

VAF84 likes this.
  14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Or in the fiberglass!

:)

Matt

daytona355 likes this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Has been a plastic (not fiberglass) since the 80s

I wouldn't buy their first attempt at a mid engine car, in general Corvette Engineers are good, then they ruin everything by getting by on the cheap so those factors will lead to some difficult driving dynamics

16. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Looks like a cross among a McLaren, Camaro and a cat getting his tail squished

And only available in automatic

I have a C7 Z06 in addition to my 458, and I do like it. But it would be my last Vette.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Funny thread. Not that I like the Corvette, in any form, since about '62, but the idea that Chevy can't figure out how to build a kick ass mid engine car is laughable. I recall Ford had no problem doing so back in the 60's or again in 2006 or more recently with the 2018 version. Not to mention that Chevy has been palying with the mid engine Corvette since, well , forever. Yes, it will be uglier than sin with Chevys "stealth" styling, and if it's anything like my buddy's C7, not very comfortable, but I'm willing to be it will kick a lot of ass. As for the big butt, Compared to my 355 and 308, I think the 360, 430, 458 and 488 went pretty big on the butt end too. :)

18. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I can't wait to see this thread on the 18th LOL. We shall see gentleman....we shall see.

VAF84 likes this.
  19. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    weve fallen far from the c3.......

BOKE likes this.
  20. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    #20 open roads, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    I'm looking forward to the 18th as well. And I was remembering the Ford GT40 too. ... I hope it's a nice car. Will not be a Ferrari, Lambo or Mac though. And that's fine.

This is going to be a hard crowd though. ... And I don't like the leaked rear end shot.

Sorry. But I'l be the first to say it. "Butt ugly."

Fireman1291 and Texas Forever like this.
  21. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I see what you did there.

22. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    The current model is ugly as sin to me, but they still sold a ton of them. I was a lifelong vette lover before it came out. Looks like it was designed by Liberty Walk.
    North Americans have different tastes, and their performance “bang for the buck”, plastic interiors and all, is undeniable.

23. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    A pivotal car in the world of high performance sports cars. I hope it does well.

24. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Funny story. I was at a local exotic car dealership admiring a 458 spider and commented that I had been waiting for the mid engine Corvette to come out and the salesman says he can't let me buy a Corvette . I asked why and he said I was too young . I'm 60. Then he tells me they do sell a lot of Corvettes and as we look out the window a red one drives by .He then says a lot of people have Corvettes but very few have this as he points to the 458.

Case closed . I bought the 458 and love it.

I hope the C8 Corvette looks better in person.

daytona355 likes this.
  25. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    And that's exactly why Chevrolet decided they needed to make the switch now. Otherwise, Vette sales would go the way of Harley Davidson once the baby boomer sales crawl to a halt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

I'm 360 Canuck, VAF84 and technom3 like this.