Discount Expected for Rebuilt Salvage Title Car | FerrariChat

Discount Expected for Rebuilt Salvage Title Car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Shark01, Jul 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Had a car pitched to me, with a catch. The car was in a front end collision several years ago (which also damaged the driver side door (from stress?), was declared a salvage, and rebuilt. Currently carries a standard title from the state I reside in (but lists it as re-built), and is insured by the company that I insure with and they said they would continue to insure the car.

The car is a mid-engine car from the late 2000s, supply is usually pretty thin and demand is solid and will IMO continue to be.

What do you think should be the discount from a similar car with a clean title?

Thanks

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Need to post numbers. NSX? 360? MR2?

anunakki likes this.
  3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Is this by chance a 458 Italia in Maryland?

4. usshelena725

usshelena725 Karting

Nov 22, 2014
    Johnson City, TN
    Why so vague?

This is like me asking a physician what is wrong with me and I just tell him that I have some ailments in an undisclosed location for a certain period of time and they may or may not cause pain.

Seriously though - details on the car in question would be needed to make an accurate assessment. For everyday commuter cars, the general rule is retail value is usually between 50% and 70% of normal value if the car had a clean title. For rare or exotic cars, more factors come into play.

An additional item to note, however, is that regardless of price - your market for resale dwindles by about 80% on a branded title vehicle. Irrespective of the cost, there are many folks who will simply never buy a salvaged car, no matter what the deal - so selling it becomes somewhat difficult and will take substantially longer versus a normal vehicle that doesn't have title issues. Just some food for thought.

randkin, Shamile and showme1946 like this.
  5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I was asked to make discreet inquiries since the car is not on the market. The pricing area is right around $200k.

Just trying to get an idea on the discount that should be given for an exotic in this situation

6. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Discreet inquiries get discreet values :cool:

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ask yourself why was the car "pitched to me" and you are not to discuss the particulars with anyone.

Caveat emptor.

PhilaChris, C50 and usshelena725 like this.
  8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Given the specifics of the situation.. Anywhere between 1% and 50% would be my guess. If a common model and frame damage 50%, a scratch on an Enzo.. 1%.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL.......guess there won't be any real help to be had here.

10. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    25% discount, selling a vehicle with a salvage/damage title is a pain in the butt ;)

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Thanks, the owner wants to get 11% back of what I think are comparable cars and that just sounds too thin

12. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    I'd say 30%. Remember that it had to suffer pretty serious damage to be considered salvage. I'd say a $200K car had to be really heavilly damaged for the insurance company to write it off.

Shamile and Enzojr like this.
  13. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the newer the car the more PITA

what documentation does it have ? pics ?

huge stigma but there are a zillion reasons why cars are totaled

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes have pictures, damage doesn't really look all that bad, but insurance companies do what they do

15. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i've seen cars totalled for lack of parts.. just depends

$200k ? problem is folks in that range have money to buy no stories so you'll be dealing with vultures when it comes time to sell

BOKE and usshelena725 like this.
  16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If it's the right car for me, it would be the pool boy errr... Wife's boyfriend 's problem after I get hit by the autonomous bus because the robot driver was taking a call from his robot buddies

Otherwise, yes the issue of selling it is a concern.

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The range is definitely very wide. Remember this one? I respect that you have to keep certain details vague, as others have pointed out, it makes appraisal very difficult. Much depends on the specific model. Assuming it's a 360/430, I personally would shave off 1/2 right off the bat with a salvage title. Not sure if the $200K you quote is the non-salvage price of a comparable model? So perhaps a scud/challenge? I've seen some salvage models that were good buys and vice versa, it's hard to know the long term and/or hidden issues that may lurk.

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh, I was assuming the car had been repaired. If it's still damaged that's another story. Find out what he paid buying it back from the insurance company.

19. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    have a buddy that owns a chain of collision shops....

couple years ago he was buying "slightly" wrecked cars to fix and keep the employees busy during slow periods. he stopped doing as it was a PITA to sell cars with salvage titles

BOKE likes this.
  20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, the car in question was repaired some years ago by a previous owner. The current owner bought it already repaired 3 years ago.

21. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    ......and then you get the, oh crap the frame is bent ;)
    Then you just bought a piece of junk only good as a parts car ........
    Unless you want to be like the person who sold it to you.

22. usshelena725

usshelena725 Karting

Nov 22, 2014
    Johnson City, TN
    This is probably the most poignant point so far in this thread. Trying to resell a salvage corolla is bad enough, but can usually be done if the price is right since there is always someone looking for a decent $5,000 car.

Trying to resell a $200K vehicle with a salvage title? Extremely difficult. Someone who has $200K to burn on a depreciating asset that is essentially a toy, certainly has enough money to buy one that doesn't have a salvage title or a bunch of negative history. So, if deciding to purchase, you would realistically have to assume the value after purchase is $0.00. If you don't ever plan to sell it, or can easily walk away from the initial purchase price without it being too big a hit to your wallet, then fine. Otherwise, I would just walk away.

EDIT - just saw your comment about 11% reduction in sale price. Unless this is some ridiculously rare car that simply doesn't exist anywhere in the USA right now (doubtful), then that pricing is absurd. That would be a big no-go for me in addition to all the other things I've already mentioned.

This seems like a bad deal all around.

23. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    In my opinion, 11% discount for a salvage/rebuilt $200k toy is a very bad deal

You could potentially find similar savings on a story-free higher mileage example

If there are some unique attributes to the car in question (eg color combo you like)... I’d still walk, unless for you it is to be a permanent part of your garage.

You’ll forget the nominal “savings” immediately after purchase but the story is forever associated w the car.

24. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, the more I read about this the less uncomfortable I would feel. The last time I was "pitched" I was at a carnival. :)

25. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I dunno about this. Even if you bought a Murcielago SV in stick shift with a salvage title, it would be very tough to get out of.

A salvage SV would go for around 200k but I wouldn't consider it an investment...more like a low entry point.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk