328 A/C air conditioning removal delete | FerrariChat

328 A/C air conditioning removal delete

Discussion in '308/328' started by mixedgas, Jul 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Forgive the wordy title but I wanted to include relevant keywords for future searches. I'm elbow deep in a t/belt change on my 89 328gts and I have the A/C compressor hanging by its hoses over the starboard fuel tank. The A/C doesn't work. It does not get very hot here in Oregon. I dont drive with the top on unless it is raining (cold rain that is). I am very tempted to remove the compressor (York), box it up, and store in my basement.

Question is, are there any major drawbacks to removing the compressor? I recognize I'll need to get bolts/spacers etc. to ensure the timing belt cover fits in absence of the compressor and bracket, but are there other considerations I'm missing?

Also, should I remove the compressor, I was thinking I should cap the A/C lines. Does anyone happen to know the size of these fittings off-hand so I can order the correct threaded plugs to cap the lines that attach to the compressor??

Photo just because.

Thanks a ton, I love this forum!
    Mike in Portland
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    IN YOUR SITUATION - If I was certain I did not need/want the AC, AND you don't plan to sell the car anytime soon, removing the compressor wouldn't be an issue. I would do as you are saying, remove the unit along with whatever bolts/spacers are associated with it, cap the fittings on the compressor and pack it away.

If you leave the hoses in place (easier), you should cap them as well. OTOH, one could argue that the hoses, if original, probably need replacing anyway if you ever decided to reinstall the AC, so why not just remove them now and have the engine compartment a little "cleaner" since there's no AC.

mixedgas likes this.
  3. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    If you end up removing the hoses I'd pull some type of durable "pull string" through on the end of the hoses and leave the pull string in place for the time someone may want to pull new hoses in.

mixedgas likes this.
  4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    EXCELLENT POINT!!!!! :)

mixedgas likes this.
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    If I were leaving the hoses in place, I'd evacuate the refrigerant, use plastic caps (that are normally present on fill valves), and call it a day. Find a way to secure the ends so they don't flap around, of course.

mixedgas likes this.
  6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    A/C hoses don't pull out easily, unfortunately the gas tank has to come out. Leave the lines, cap them, they are double wall hoses and will last probably longer then the vehicle.
    In the future consider switching to the sanden compressor option, KEEP R12 though.

mixedgas likes this.
  7. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you very much for the advice so far! I removed the compressor this weekend during a timing belt service. There was no gas left in the system, therefore I didn't have the gas reclaimed. I'm planning to cap the hoses and leave the hoses in place. The compressor and brackets will be boxed up and stored in my basement. FWIW, today is July 15, 2019 (the day after Bastille Day) and it is 66 degrees F (19C) here in Portland - wouldn't use AC today if I had it! Thanks again! -Mike

8. Yippee! It's a Ferrari!

Feb 20, 2013
    W. Burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Lew
    Current to know what you did for spacers? I am in the middle of fuel line replacement.....

Thanks, Lew

9. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Lew, I dont recall using any spacers following AC compressor removal, I was able to remove the compressor and all associated hardware / spacers and reinstall the timing cover without any further modification / adapters. It has been about a year, and I dont miss the AC at all (June 3, 2020 and it is 56 degrees F here). Hope that helps. - Mike

10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When I replaced my hoses I had to cut the fittings off the ends to get them out, even with the tank removed.

11. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Since your compressor is out, send it off to get rebuilt. Or do it yourself since it sounds like you are capable. That way, when/if you decide to sell it, it is a complete car. I am in TN and need to replace my compressor because it is so hot here. Have a major service coming up this year so doing it at that time.