Silly Season 2020 F1 | FerrariChat

Silly Season 2020 F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jul 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144682/mclaren-retains-sainz-and-norris-for-2020

McLaren has confirmed it will retain both of its current Formula 1 drivers, Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris, for the 2020 season.

Sainz joined McLaren from Renault this year on what was billed as a multi-year agreement, while Norris graduated to the Woking-based team after finishing runner-up in Formula 2 in 2018.

Ahead of this weekend's British Grand Prix, Sainz sits seventh in the points with best finishes of sixth at both Monaco and Paul Ricard, while Norris lies one place behind in eighth.

2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    McLaren has become the "best of the rest" while Haas has crashed and burned. Maybe Haas now dumps Grosjean?

VPX and william like this.
  3. DF1

Haas must be considering this. Ocon???

4. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Jakuzzi, VPX, jehu999 and 4 others like this.
  5. DF1

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

McLaren ahead of Renault; that's remarkable.

7. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144689/contract-clause-wont-decide-verstappen-future

Red Bull Formula 1 boss Christian Horner believes Max Verstappen's future will not be dictated by contract clauses because his driver "genuinely believes" in the team's project with Honda.

Verstappen has a contract with Red Bull that runs to the end of 2020 but a swathe of speculation has emerged over recent weeks suggesting a performance clause could allow him to leave after this year.

The 21-year-old won the most recent grand prix in Austria, lifting him to third in the championship as Red Bull and Honda claimed a win together after just nine races to end Mercedes' 100% winning start to the season.

Horner has acknowledged there is "an awful lot of speculation about Max's contract" and effectively confirmed some kind of performance clause exists, but said that it is standard practice at all leading teams.

"There are performance criteria in all of the top drivers' contracts, which is probably mirrored in both Ferrari and Mercedes drivers' contracts as well," said Horner.

"The win in Austria doesn't change anything as far as we're concerned.

"And beyond contracts, if you're holding a driver just because of a piece of paper, that isn't the right relationship to have.

"Max genuinely believes in the project we have and the skillset we have in the team and the Honda progress and development.

"And he very much buys into that, irrelevant of any piece of paper.

"He enjoys being in the team and he believes in its potential."

8. DF1

This is a repeat by Horner after Austria and France about Max and “clauses” LoL. Would think Max can just leave. Worried Horner is it seems.

VPX likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Leave to go where ?

F2003-GA likes this.
  10. DF1

Only Max knows lol :) He might not leave but I think he could if he wanted to given RedBull performance so far via a clause

11. Y_Q12

Y_Q12 Rookie

Feb 26, 2019
    Probably to Merc. Leclerc is the future of Ferrari, I don't see them signing Verstappen too...

VPX likes this.
  12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I wouldn't be surprised if Honda were to pony-up many millions to keep Max at RBR?

F2003-GA, Sunracer and DF1 like this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    There is no room for Max at Mercedes as long as Lewis reigns.

I'm 360 Canuck, F2003-GA and william like this.
  14. Y_Q12

Y_Q12 Rookie

Feb 26, 2019
    True, but if there is a one-off chance for Merc to sign Max, they might do that even if Hamilton is still there. Hamilton's contract only lasts until the end of 2020. And maybe Lewis wants to see too how he fares against Max. I read somewhere that even he is bored of having no real competition for years.

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Lewis won't retire until he obliterates Schumacher's record.

I'm 360 Canuck and william like this.
  16. Y_Q12

Y_Q12 Rookie

Feb 26, 2019
    Or when it's clear he cannot break the record anymore, f.e. if Max would win this and next years driver's championship...

I'm 360 Canuck and F2003-GA like this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

He stands more chances to beat the 91 GP wins record than the 7WDCs, IMO.

He is at the moment just 12 wins short of Schumacher, and it's quite feasable that he will beat that by the end of next year.

of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    WARNING : This is to be taken with a massive pinch of salt !

According to Le Figaro, the French national newspaper, there are rumours in the paddock that Vettel is going to leave Ferrari already at the end of this season.
    Le Figaro reveals that these rumours are fuelled by Christian Horner who is in regular contact with and has good relations with Vettel.
    Horner apparently says that Vettel could retire at the end of the season, or go back to ... Red Bull, where Verstappen would stay.
    So Gasly would have to leave, or step back to Toro Rosso perhaps.
    There are talks that the relations between Vettel and the Ferrari team worsened after the recent Austrian GP, when Vettel went on to congratulate Verstappen for his victory first, but "forgot" to pay any compliment to his young team mate Leclerc for his hard-fought second place.
    Already, according to Le Figaro, the Ferrari staff doesn't like Vettel's frequent visits to his ex-team Red Bull at each GP, and some paranoia has set in. He apparently eats there and has long chats with his former mechanics. Vettel is, it is said, quite well liked by RB staff.
    In any case, Vettel would leave the Scuderia.

All this is newspapers talk, I know.

But here is the best bit. Vettel would be replaced at Ferrari by ... Ricciardo !!

Ricciardo is so disappointed by Renault's lack of progress that he would be ready to leave after one year..

Remember, You heard it here first !!!!

VPX, vinny84, fer312t and 3 others like this.
  19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I like this story!

VPX, Sunracer and daytona355 like this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yeah but do you think there is any truth in it ?

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    No idea, it is plausible though.

daytona355 likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That would mean 2 highly paid drivers breaking their contracts.

Vettel retiring without penalty, I could imagine, but if he goes to another team, he will have to buy his contract back. I cannot see Red Bull doing that.

Ferrari buying Ricciardo's contract from Renault, I can see that as more realistic.

Ferrai is a rich team, and they don't mind to pay to get what they want.

23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Ricciardo for Vettel? Where do I have to sign?

But I doubt it will happen, both are under contract.

DF1 likes this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Most contracts have exit clauses now ...

25. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Who knows. It's clear that Vettel is past his Use By Date as a prime driver. RBR might roll the dice on him considering they have no one in the wings to replace Gasly, and he could see it as a chance to redeem himself as a racer.

DR to Ferrari is something that should have happened last year.

LewHam won't retire for another 3 seasons at least. He's showing no signs of fading. He has the top slot in the top team. He will ride this wave until it hits the shore.

jehu999, DF1 and william like this.