Black waist stripe question | FerrariChat

Black waist stripe question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andrew McCrae, Jul 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew McCrae

Andrew McCrae Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    I've only examined closely the black stripe on 3 cars. On each including mine it was a black tape. I'm sure every car left the factory painted but could I be wrong?

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    They were all painted by the factory, in semi-matt black. No exception whatsoever.
    Rgds

3. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't think black cars were painted with a semi-matt black stripe. That might be the exception ;)

Andrew McCrae likes this.
  4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    No tape, always paint.

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, I think I know about that answer, guess how?
    More seriously, and to answer Andrew's question further: the stripe goes only in the vertical part of the groove, NOT on its "ceiling" nor on its "floor". It stops at right angle of the body, doors, etc: no "return" behind the "exterior" steel sheet.

Rgds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

chas-3 and Rosey like this.
  6. CL308GTB

CL308GTB Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    C L
    I have a Black 308 in original paint and can confirm Nerofer's affirmation.

7. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    My 1979 car purchased in 1984 from original owner, never hit or painted until i repainted it a few years later, had black tape. original color was Chiaro Oro.

I dunno what to say about the never tape claims.

Doug

8. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What year & how can you be certain it's on original paint?

9. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    My car was repainted by the previous owner and he put black tape on it. No one noticed this before I indicated it.
    I'm sure that there are "some" cars like that …...

10. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    My 85 QV has the black tape, and - as it's just being painted to deal with rust and a few knocks - the painter has assured me the Rosso Corsa paint is mostly original (a few front end touch ups); that would lead one to assume that the black tape is also original.

11. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    How could that be though.
    The process of masking off the waist of the car to paint the stripe in the factory is completely different to going around with black tape and just sticking it on.
    And why would they do that? Would the factory ever run out of semi gloss paint?

Do the cars with tape have the tape run around the edges of the body panels or stop on the outer surface?

12. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I am not claiming anything other than what my car came with.

I do know it is more time consuming to mask off the car, including the upper and lower shelf of the recess to paint, than to run semi gloss wide body stripe tape in the groove.

I never paid attention as to whether the tape wrapped into the fender wells a bit, or not, that was 35 years ago. I only really noticed the tape, because some had come loose before i had the car repainted, and my recollection was it was Chiaro under the tape.

Doug

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think that this is fascinating.

I’m not sure that it’s been discussed before.

My ‘81 308 has been repainted, so I’m disqualified.

Matt

14. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I don't know if mine has been repainted or not, but with about 11,000 miles I'm guessing not. I'll go look tomorrow to see if it's paint or tape.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm certain that part of my 328 was repainted after a front-corner crash long ago (not reported by Carfax, by the way) while much of the rest is original. The groove has black paint all the way.

(It has always reminded me a bit of the Death Star trench in the first "Star Wars" movie!)

16. Softtail11722

Softtail11722 Rookie

Jan 30, 2017
    washington state
    Full Name:
    ron
    1977 308 gtb it is paint for sure in the side area and is rosso Rubino on my car paint was faded from calf. life but all redone correctly now and stripe is back and paint not tape

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It has been discussed many times already, Matt. I'm not starting to argue here: the factory finish was always paint.
    Whenever you have the chance to look at a "time capsule" very closely, you can sometimes even see how the edges of the masking tapes are not always exactly parallel to the edges of the goove itself: the black line very often is not exactly straight at its edges in places.

As said above, there should be no "return" on any edge of the metal sheets; said otherwise, only the part facing the exterior received the black paint, which stops right at the edge; it does not fold around the edge, and does not reverse behind.

Exception, if my memory is right, is, on 328s at least, the front and rear bumper, which are glassfibre, and the body "grove" is formed in the upper part of the bumper itself. But the "ceiling" of the grove is the sheet metal of the front and rear fenders; on the bumpers, the glass fiber folds "towards the inside of the car" on the bumper's side, so the top of the groove forms a 2cm ledge to hang the bumper onto the fender. That part is not masked, but painted black also on its top, but of course you can't see it, unlees you unfasten the bumper.

Rgds

Rosey likes this.
  18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks.

I had owned my 330 for a number of years and during that time probably didn’t pay attention to the 308 section.

I inherited my father’s 308 three years and now I’m paying attention!

Matt

19. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    My original 308GTSi 1982 is paint.

20. Andrew McCrae

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    I think painting is needed, Does anyone know the stripe colour? Is there a percent gloss? I've used a 25% gloss black on another car which gave a dull satin so I'm thinking 40% approximately.

21. CL308GTB

CL308GTB Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    C L
    It’s a black 308 GTB QV that left the factory around November 1984 (of which I have posted a lot of pics in another thread). I recently measured the thickeness of the paint with a detailer and had it checked by an expert for insurance purposes, both claimed that the car was in original paint. I also have a fairly extensive history for this car and had been in contact with all the previous owners who confirmed this point, (for what it’s worth). So, let’s say i’m 99% certain.

But I can’t imagine that if someone had repainted this car, he would have applied paint here instead of tape (which would be much more logical from an economical and timing perspective if it was the original process...)

22. Andrew McCrae

Jun 5, 2016
    Ireland
    Has anyone Classiche? I wonder what they say.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Bought my 85 GTB QV new. Black paint for the belt line. It's sort of a semi-flat black. Not semi, not flat. Krylon industrial semi flat black 1613 is close.

Saabguy likes this.
  24. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Wow! This almost as good as an oil thread! FWIW, when I repainted my front spoiler, I think the painter used 50/50 satin/matte - looks OK to my (lousy) eyes

25. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Assuming your question is related specifically to 308’s and 328’s, yes, they were all painted. That is not necessarily the case with other Ferrari’s, however.