Move over law | FerrariChat

Move over law

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by E60 M5, Jul 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The penalties for not slowing down or moving over for emergency vehicles has gone up to reckless driving charge in VA, just FYI.

Move Over:

Drivers who fail to slow down or move over for emergency vehicles stopped with flashing lights will now be facing a reckless driving charge, the same as someone speeding over 80 miles per hour.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for posting. Wonder whether the new law addresses cases where the left lane is so crowded it is impossible to move over into it when passing a stopped emergency vehicle?

3. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Then slow down... use hazard lights. Just don’t cruise by at speed.

Just returned from out west pulling a trailer and it’s easier with long open roads. Even there it’s tough. I was passing an 18 wheeler and around the bend was action on the side of the road with guys working on a big truck. Luckily there was pavement past the rumble strip, I moved over it and the 18 wheeler moved halfway in my lane. Stuff happens fast.

E60 M5 likes this.
  4. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    COPS need to stop parking with the nose of the car well into the right lane when doing traffic stops. These idiots are creating safety problems when their charter is supposedly the safety of motorists.

wax and willrace like this.
  5. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I was hoping this was gonna be about slow drivers in the left lane!

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  7. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Dude, do you even know why that's done? Also that the OP is a first responder? Thirdly..."idiots?"...really?

8. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Get off your high horse. Yes, police will tell you, like many of their protocols, that it is either for their safety or yours. But parking a car with the nose sometimes several feet into a lane of flowing traffic is dangerous as hell. Too many times I have been driving the speed limit or with the flow of traffic and encountered a traffic stop just over the crest of a hill or around a blind corner where the cop has the nose of his car several feet into the right lane. A few times I have been in the right lane with another car beside me. In these cases I cannot swerve left and my only option is to slam on brakes--risking being rear-ended. This is idiotic because the cop is needlessly creating a very dangerous situation. The alternative is to park well off the road in the shoulder (like cops expect us to do) then approach the passenger side of the car.

OP is a fireman and I don't ever recall seeing the scenario described above executed by a fireman. Stop trying to create conflict where there is none.

9. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Actually, we do park at angle as to deflect the fire engine away from the "scene" if struck and to create a barrier as we work. The rule is block all lanes affected, plus 1 extra lane.

wahoowa likes this.
  10. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    You also know why they always touch the car walking up to you as well?

So their fingerprints are on it should you run and they are incapacitated in some manner.

Sis in law is a state trooper. All kinds of interesting stories.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Had a cop once lay a clipboard on my window sill on a DD. Found it disrespectful but maybe he wasn't a car guy. Cops have a tough job and I am on their side. My dad was NYPD for 22 years and he was a mounted policeman as in rode a horse. This was in the 1950's. Someone in a crowd punched him in the leg and scared his horse that then fell back on him badly injuring his kidney. Many years later he died of kidney cancer and the previously injured kidney was found to be one giant tumor.

12. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Cool. I never knew about the touching of the car to leave fingerprints. Thanks for sharing.

13. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I knew that and got a ticket a few years ago. Watched the officer in the mirror and he quickly touched the back of the suv as he approached.