Any leads on Pista and thoughts? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Any leads on Pista and thoughts?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mkraft3003, Jun 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Ferrari NA does care.

Why would a DEALER want you to hold a car? Makes no sense. A dealer wants you to flip..thru the dealer. They make more money. Is this not obvious?

We sold our 424k Pista for $550k. This sale happened recently. We owned it for 6 months.

Why did we sell? because we are moving overseas and have no place for a Pista where we are headed...The Pista was the best car I have ever owned let alone driven. Had we stayed in the US there is ZERO chance I would have sold the Pista. Truly epic car in every way. A Ferrari 488 Pista is a peak car.

dmark1 likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Selling through the dealer? Sure sell away. Sell through a 3rd party- you will be black listed.

488 - who cares. Pista- different story.

Xrayv8 and boobernackle like this.
  3. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Exactly, FNA only cares if you try to export the car shortly after delivery. That is a BIG no-no.

Other than that, only your dealer cares as they will lose out on a consignment fee and additional funds over MSRP from when they sold you the car.

4. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Neither was sold thru dealer. Both to independent non franchise dealers. One took it straight to manheim after buying from me.

5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If you get another allocation- congrats to you

boobernackle likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Dealer is the one that matters. The one who gives you the allocations.

boobernackle likes this.
  7. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Ok, now we're curious, where are you moving to? Safe travels all the way and you'll be missed from our side!

8. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    FNA and a Ferrari dealer are 2 separate entities, just to clarify my earlier post.

9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yup I get it. Hard to get allocation like Pista they don’t want to give it away and have it flipped and especially not through them.

boobernackle likes this.
  10. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Above all, your salesperson would lose out a massive commission, based on overall percentage of what they take home during the year. All dealer side.

SoCal to az likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Dealers can allocate cars like the pista. The bigger cars fna has the heavier hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    You have a dealer who is far more easy going than the one I have. One of my good friends traded in a ordered 488 gtb within 7 months and they were not happy. He traded it in at a different manufacturer dealer. They called him twice to make sure he understood his poor decision. The following year they did tell him if he ordered a Portofino he would be back in their good graces lol.

of2worlds and IPO1 like this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That is bordering on ridiculous. The general rule what I’ve been told by my dealer is that they have first right of refusal in the first 6 months. After that- you can do as you please. Is the 6 months enforceable in court? No probably not. But it’s their way of saying- hey- we gave you an allocation for a hard to get car- we would appreciate the courtesy of selllibg it for you if it comes to that. I have zero issues with that. They scratch my back, I scratch theirs.

Now obviously if you have a desirable car like the Pista and if you trade in through your dealer in the future, you will probably get more allocations.

But if you wanted to buy a totally different car, and it’s been a while since you owned it- for them to call twice- well that’s just lame and I’d tell them to go pound sand.

Thecadster and boobernackle like this.
  14. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I agree with you but every situation is different. The dealer controls allocations so you have to play the scratch the back game as you noted. In this case if its within a year they want the first right of refusal. Im sure it can be tweaked depending on what type of customer you have been over the years. As Ferrari increases production it may not come up anymore so we shall see. That was also 2 years ago. Not so sure they would be as adamant with the 488 with prices going down as F8 comes out.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If they clearly stated that their policy is one year FROR, then different sorry and I can appreciate them being upset. As long as the policy was agreed upon by both parties and explained to the buyer.

junc likes this.
  16. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Yeah he forgot I guess. He had purchased quite a few cars from them and I dont think it was reiterated each time. Anyways on the hard to come by vehicles like the Pista I would not be able to get future allocations for any special series cars if I flipped mine that quickly period.

SoCal to az likes this.
  17. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    It’s all smoke and mirrors, dealership games and rules and I highly doubt any of it is enforceable in court. Just like have to buy from local dealer, not true. All manufacturers seem to be playing the mass production game so don’t know about future cars value and I’m never going to buy a million plus dollar car so games aren’t worth it to me. Look at gt3/gt3rs market after all those people paid over for those cars. MCLAREN’s tank, lambos tank, all Ferrari’s are tanking except limited models but we’ll see how much longer they really are limited...

sampelligrino and IPO1 like this.
  18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ofcourse it’s all games. But selling the car through your dealer is a small game I can play if it makes financial sense. But yes- way too many games with the hot economy. Wait till economy cools and these dealers are going to be begging for your business.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    What if they wanted a 10 percent vig versus 3?

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    At some point playing the game becomes cost prohibitive. That point is different for everyone.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Hence the specificity of my question

22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I can’t answer that question in a vacuum. Sell my car for 10% but give me a La Ferrari allocation at Msrp? Sure all day long.

Sell my car for 10% and give me a portifino? GFYS

sampelligrino likes this.
  23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The latter happens, the former doesn’t.

24. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Want to really piss off FNA and your dealer?

Export a Pista.

25. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I buy and sell everything through Boardwalk. They service my cars too, whether under warranty or not.

They take care of me, I take care of them, it’s a symbiotic relationship.

Could I make a few more bucks going outside the dealership? Sure.

It isn’t worth the loss of upcoming cool ass cars that they are going to pitch my way early in their production cycles. I know I lose a bit more this way but who cares? Cars lose money anyway.

But that’s just me.

boobernackle likes this.