Ultra Luxury Car Prices Plunge | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ultra Luxury Car Prices Plunge

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PA Wolfpacker, Jun 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    So to summarize:

The same crap that has always happened is still happening today.

LVP488, technom3, 3POINT8 and 3 others like this.
  2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    To a point yes..you are correct. What has changed is inventory. There are literally thousands of these "exotics" and luxury cars to choose from. Never has there been a point In time where so many have been available on the secondary market. I would dare to say it may very well be saturated.

3. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Something is wrong in the manufacturers and the marketplace when quarter million dollar cars are totaled for minor accidents, and the cost of service puts the car out of usability for the third (maybe even the second) owner/leasee. The Mondial poor boys' club seems to survive on DIY service and maintenance, and aftermarket parts sources. They certainly don't own the fastest exotic car...but it is exotic...and the hands on approach is more in keeping with the tradition of sports cars. The new cars are like smart phones, just turn them in every couple of years and throw away the old one. Maybe the electric super car will save the ICE fans by eventually collapsing prices and leaving a product glut for true enthusiasts.

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I only know that what I'm watching - 612's and FF's - continue to decline, which is why I'm not buying one yet. I remember just a couple of years ago people were saying FF's were fully depreciated at circa $149K. Now early ones are around $129K or even less.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think for those wanting to keep a car as original as possible you are correct. However, the aftermarket options for today's exotics is more than ever and I think that will help keep them going for longer than they otherwise would if they relied on OEM parts. ECUs, forced induction, body kits, brakes, etc...

6. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    You are forgetting an old rule of trading. Never use absolutes like "Never" and "Always."

This used to be one of my favorite shirts. :( If nothing else, maybe if there is a recession it can kill the program. Someone once told me that's what killed it 10 years ago.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Ya but Ferrari are always sold out before they’re produced. Rolls Royce is obviously not the same if you can get a phantom at $80,000 off brand new

8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The newest super cars are to complicated to maintain by a DIY! I believe this will be a factor in resale?

9. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    An FF still isn't cheap enough. I'm waiting for someone to jack it up and put some mudders on one.

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Can you get the frames straight enough to properly align and corner weight a car designed to travel at 200 MPH with low liability concerns?

The modern SDx service and diagnostic plug-in electronics has made servicing the more modern cars ugly if not horrifying.

technom3 likes this.
  11. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    50% off ???

I don't think so.

I had thought better of USA Today.

But there sure are a lot of cars offered. I'll give them that.

12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I wonder about the impact of China. Tariffs have slowed the economy and the Chineses stock market. This could have an impact on the exotic car market.

Europe’s economy is limping along. US is doing the best of the industrialized countries. So when the US gets a cold the others will get pneumonia. That’s when when assets including car prices will reach rational values.

tomc likes this.
  13. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What goes up must always come down...I am waiting patiently to find more "keepers."

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Obviously a moron wrote that, or maybe one of my dogs got a job.

15. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I wonder if Ferrari will continue that practice. I have received calls from 2 dealers inquiring if I want to place an order for a F8.

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Funny you say that, a client of mine has received the same phone call from his dealer.

On the cost to repair..it no joke. They are expensive. When a carbon tub gets damaged, it must be replaced. Just think of the labor involved in such a task.

Hit a curb and smash a CC brake rotor? How about the headlights in certain benz product? They have crystal in those. 5k a pop. Carbon defuser? That titanium exhaust get all bent up? Yup..add those up plus labor to install, then body work on top of that.

17. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Repairs ;)
    What’s the standard cost of a set of carbon ceramic pads/rotors on a “normal” Ferrari ?

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    We quoted front pads and rotors for a 458 last year due to a large rock that got jammed between the rotor and cailper (massive fluke, but here we are). The dealer wanted 10k per rotor. Pads I think were 1900, but don't quote me on that. Keep in mind these are Canadian prices from the local dealer.

So 22k for front brakes..

19. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Wow
    I spent $17 K plus for my engine out last year (355) with some extras, and while you are in there ;)
    I also have a complete new set of rotors (4) and pads for a 355 that a dealer had on sale for $540 including shipping. Got that from an east coast dealer a couple years ago.
    I am looking at $1250 per axle to install with a caliber rebuild at the same time.
    Looks like the 355 in now very affordable maintenance wise.

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Anything Ferrari (minus the f1 issues) is now on par with the average german import maintenance wise..in some cases cheaper. I can to all around brakes on a 360 for 3k..pads and rotors. AMG benz or M series BMW, your looking 3k just for the fronts.

liquid360 likes this.
  21. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I beat you! Same Mercedes AMG S55 that was 4 years old for 15K, stickered out at 130K+. It was quite the deal. Drove it for 2 years and 30K miles.

RonH likes this.
  22. liquid360

liquid360 Karting

Sep 25, 2018
    And warranties support this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

23. liquid360

liquid360 Karting

Sep 25, 2018
    Just bought a 488 spider 2018. All routine maintenance as well as full warranty are good for zero maintenance/repair costs until 2026. Not a bad price of ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

24. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    AMG brake service costs are eye opening

25. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I agree. That is because they recommend replacing the rotors rather than turning them. Had that with my CL55. But the same for Porsche. My wife has a regular Macan and it just had its first brake service at 30K miles. They recommended replacing the rotors (never been turned before and no pad damage). $3500. Cant wait until the car is off warranty then I will take it to an independent.