Thoughts on right hand drive car in the USA | FerrariChat

Thoughts on right hand drive car in the USA

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by christiann, Jul 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christiann

christiann Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    would it bother you or you could care less?

2. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    You’d probably never be able to sell it here once you bought it. I wouldn’t waste my time. You’d just be buying a problem for yourself. Why bother with that

vincenzo, Shamile and cgt000 like this.
  3. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Wouldn’t want.

4. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Agree with above. Besides that I used to drive a LH drive car in the UK and it was often very difficult to have enough visibility to pass safely--there were plenty of single-lane roads there that may be less of an issue here in the US (depending on where you live).

5. spence88mph

spence88mph Rookie

Apr 9, 2011
    Melbourne
    Why would you when LHD cars are half the price?

They only made about 500 RHD cars, if you own a RHD testa, sell it to a RHD market.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Why would U want one ?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

There is an appeal in the US for RHD Japanese cars, however, it’s more because of the uniqueness of the model. Can’t be obtained here/was never sold here and so those owners are probably putting up with the RHD configuration. Also interesting that there are many LHD Porsche’s in Japan as well. As was already stated, since the Ferrari LHD cars are available, no real reason to purchase one here. It will also make left hand turns very dangerous in traffic as you won’t be able to see oncoming cars as well.

8. christiann

christiann Karting

Nov 29, 2006
    Thanks for all the info. It’s a specific color combo and driving would be in a rural area.

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    its a pita.
    drove LHD ferraris in the uk for years, and drove rhd wagons on the continent for years. always a pita.

do not bother.

turbo-joe and Zeff like this.
  10. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Driven RHD cars in Malta, then to Italy where things are as they are in the USA and most other European countries.
    It's a hassle. The older I get the more often I catch myself reverting to habit, which can be dangerous if the car or the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the road.
    I would not have a RHD car to drive anywhere in the USA, however rural.

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have two LHD Ferraris here in the UK, and two RHD ones, I have had LHD Porsches here in the past, and I drive RHD supercars in Europe a lot. Honestly I don’t think it makes much difference at all. Except for parking lot and toll booth ticket machines and if you use drive thrus a lot. That could give you a hernia. Country roads you need to develop a technique for overtaking but it’s not too bad.

I don’t even give a thought to which of my cars is LHD and which is RHD and which should I take out, it doesn’t affect that decision at all. But I have been doing it for more than 30 years I guess.

Resale is something else I would guess for a RHD car in the US.

turbo-joe likes this.
  12. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

My Testarossa was apparently originally sold in Japan and was a LHD. The Ferrari service manual lists only GB and Australia as RHD.

There are a number of unique RHD Japanese built cars on the roads here in British Columbia but they are Toyotas, Nissans, etc and very much specialized higher performance cars than were available in NA.