Lost a leg during the carwash | FerrariChat

Lost a leg during the carwash

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by XSpeed, Jul 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    How do you protect the Ferrari horse during carwash?

I use the automatic ones at the petrol station and ended up losing the front horse's one leg. Looks like they had a fight.

Ferrari service told me that happens all the time and it costs a 100 to put a new horse.

2. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wash by hand only.

F50gta, 4th_gear, Graz and 1 other person like this.
  3. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    OMG!!!!! Brother that’s like washing your baby with light grit sandpaper! You are just asking for damage and swirls in your paint. If you can’t or don’t want to wash it have someone do it by hand and make sure they use microfiber.

Golden Steed likes this.
  4. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I used the same petrol station for washing the huracan, never had any issues. Why is Ferrari so fragile?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This thread is so amazing. It’s so great that I don’t know what’s more fun reading it or water boarding myself.

Kevin T, Pawilly, Avia11 and 4 others like this.
  6. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Horses are more fragile (but faster) than bulls? One is made by Audi?

Jamie traina and tomc like this.
  7. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #7 Fireman1291, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Wait, you PAY to have a machine wash grind swirls all over your clear coat? lol your paint must look amazing! Grab a bright LED flash light and focus the beam tight to your car paint, snap a picture, and share it here. I have a feeling a snapped emblem is the least of your cars cosmetic woes.

Does your paint look like this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

or this

Image Unavailable, Please Login

LOL

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Stefan...Your post likely caused a vast majority of F-chatters to go into vapor lock! :D

My recommended pseudo-code for Cali cleanliness!

Step 0 - don't buy a black Ferrari. If you do, consult with Chizz and Fireman1291 :p
    Step 1 - cover from head to toe in paint protection film (the car, not you, unless you're into that sort of thing)
    Step 2 - drive the daylights out of your F-car
    Step 3 - have the dealer's detailing people clean it for you the next time it is in for service
    Step 4 - go to Step 2

T

p.s. In all seriousness, Ricambi should have a replacement cavallino. Likely, other places too.

Pawilly and Chizz like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    So, you paod for a Ferrari, but you won't pay to have it hand washed? Okay.

Ferraris are no more fragile than a Lambo or McLaren. But Ferrari did not intend for you to run your car through a bloody carwash. Trust me, neither did Lamborghini.

If you are worried about your little horsey, you are going to really hate what I'm about yo tell you.

You know those .nice CCM rotors on your cars? They don't like strong detergents and silicone. You know what you put on them by going through such a carwash? Yup, you guessed it. Strong detergents and and afterwash products that contain silicone as well as wax containing selants.
    I won't guess at how much it shortens the life and degrade the performance of those brakes, but it will be quite a bit.

This is comperable to purchasing a 3000 Euro suit and expecting it to be able to cope with a spin cycle.

Look, I'm usually the first one to say "it's just a car". Rack up the kilometres, track it often, park it anywhere and go on holidays. Commute and enjoy it. I hate garage queens unless they are truly valuable rarities. These cars were not meant for car washes. If the car should be designed for that, it would be a lot less flamboyant and bland looking. If you want a sportscar you can run through the carwash, Audi RS5, Porsche Boxter and BMW M4 cars are much better suited.
    Take some photos like was suggested of your Labo and your Ferrari. Trust me, the finish on both will be marked, and Lambo rotors are just as fragile as Ferrari rotors.

Chizz likes this.
  10. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Much better response than mine. I was in “vapor lock”

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  11. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Lol!!! Please call me! I have a “bat line” for emergencies like this. (If you don’t know what the bat line is then you are too young for me to explain)

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Alas, I'm old enough to remember the bat phone. ☹️ But, as reruns!
    T

Russ123, Il Co-Pilota and Chizz like this.
  13. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
  14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Who knows, maybe where he lives there are water restrictions.

Or maybe he doesn't have hands. Oh wait, no, that's not it.

I dunno, I don't think I've driven anything other than a FORD through a car wash in 30 years. But hey, that's just me.

as to the question. Buy a roll of blue painter's tape and tape that ****er down before entering the car wash.

D

Chizz likes this.
  15. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I don't know much about make up. I only use the car to drive 310-320 kmh at the autobahn.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's a shame. It does to many other things well too. And if that's all you do, a Mercedes S AMG coupé would have been a btter choice - and it goes through carwashes...

Fireman1291 likes this.
  17. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yeah, too hell with maintaining a car that will never be built again. Scratch it up and drive away. Oil change? No problem, use any motor oil on the shelf and bang them gears!

/sarcasm off
    I second ruining the AMG product over a Ferrari.

Chizz and AD211 like this.
  18. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    was able to do only 302 kmh with the S63 AMG. Felt too instable and bulky. I like Ferrari more.

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm not surprised. My wife has remarked that the Ferrari drives smoother the faster you go. I take that as authorization to drive faster!

XSpeed...Despite the good natured kidding, these cars are meant to be driven. Hard. If you bust a Cavallino leg enjoying your car, washing it, etc. it can be replaced. I don't recall if you said it was front or rear. Depending on your car color, it may be a good opportunity to try something different like a black Cavallino. I put a black Cavallino on the front - I have the black grill - and I think it looks better...T

Chizz likes this.
  20. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    This^^^^^^^^^^

Chizz likes this.
  21. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
  22. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Then pay someone who does.

Your S63 is governed by Merc to 300 kph, that is why you could not go faster (you actually can if you remove the governor with a tune).

I only hand wash my S63, it deserves better than an automatic wash also.....

23. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Part of the satisfaction of ownership for me is washing and polishing myself. I have grown to love it. I know every inch of that car.
    It’s not rocket science it just requires a little time and some calories.
    First, you probably need to go to a detail shop and have a paint correction done. I would then have a film applied. Then a ceramic coating.
    After that all you need to do is wash with a mild car wash. Make sure to use a microfiber pad. Then blow dry the car with a regular yard leaf blower.
    You could really stop there but I like to apply a sealer with a microfiber cloth.
    You will love the results. People are always commenting on how my car looks “wet” the finish is so good.
    If you get to the washing yourself and need recommendations on products you can use please let me know.

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hand washing a car does not have to be difficult. It's a part of sportscar ownership - and a csr is not truly yours and you have not really bonded with it until you have washed it.

Here's the simplest method.

1. Hose car down to get all the loose dirt and grit off.
    2. Spray the front with an insect remover
    3. Spray your wheels with a wheel cleaner suited for CCM discs. I like Sonax.
    4. Take two clean buckets. Fill one with water and soap, and the other with water. Warm water is a good idea.
    Wash the wheels with a wheel brush, don't forget the calipers. Make sure to not hit your discs with anything hard. Rinse off the wheels and the insect remover you first applied with lots of water.
    5. Wet down the car and wash it. Each time you need more soap, wring out the wash mitt in the clean water. This assures that your wash water stays free of dirt and grime that can scratsh your car.
    6. Hose down the car well.
    7. Grab the new leaf blower you just got from the local hardware store and blow the car dry. Get the most powerful blower you can.
    Your car is now clean. Takes about 30 minutes.

Enjoy:)

DeadLock1977, R J, Russ123 and 2 others like this.
  25. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    When I read the title of your post I thought it was going to be more along these lines...

Chizz likes this.